Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vector GT [W.I.P]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
J-kid polycounter lvl 12
This is one of my third posts on these forums and i am 14 years old i am self taught and i would like to get into game or graphic design

I Use 3ds Max(Modelling), Zbrush 3.5(Sculpting), and Photoshop Cs3(Texturing)

This is the side blueprint of the car i am going to make.It is made up of
A Bmw 2007 e93, Maserati Gran Cabrio, Porsche Carrera Gt, and the Aston Martin vanquish 2005
Feel free to make critiques

VectorGTcopy.png

3d model will be coming soon

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Best to post a model with the ref, people arent really interested in looking at your reference material. We spend enough time staring at google images as it is ;). Chill out get some modeling done and then open a thread, Even if your excited about what your doing its a good idea to have plenty to show or a solid question before posting a WIP thread.

Good luck with the model :)
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I'm Working On My model Now And I'll Be Posting It As Soon As I Get The Front Done
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This may interest you.. Im not trying to be mean, deliberately incorrect grammar just annoys people.
    http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    I know when to do capitals it's just my habit of doing it on every word it's not deliberately done
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    What are you planning to sculpt on a car ????
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    You mentioned doing the front of the car first. It might be best to block it all out then get crits on that first. I don't know how new you are at modeling, but if your still fairly new which I presume at age 14, you might want to check out http://cg.tutsplus.com/ . They have some great tutorials there that might help you. I recommend that you use the work flow in the Next Gen Video Game Hot Rod tutorial. I looked at some other work of yours and although its ok it could still stand a lot of improvement. Don't sweat it though your only 14 and if you can get these workflows/ skills down now you will be ahead of most people your age.
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    zakhar2 wrote: »
    What are you planning to sculpt on a car ????

No i ain't going to sculpt on a car that seems kind of difficult
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    You mentioned doing the front of the car first. It might be best to block it all out then get crits on that first. I don't know how new you are at modeling, but if your still fairly new which I presume at age 14, you might want to check out http://cg.tutsplus.com/ . They have some great tutorials there that might help you. I recommend that you use the work flow in the Next Gen Video Game Hot Rod tutorial. I looked at some other work of yours and although its ok it could still stand a lot of improvement. Don't sweat it though your only 14 and if you can get these workflows/ skills down now you will be ahead of most people your age.

I've done better work than what of uploaded on here and i can admit they aren't that good
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    Here's some work that i have done on my car, i know it aint much but critiques are welcome as i need to improve

VectorGt.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Bottom/Front looks a little lumpy. Not the biggest expert on cars but, wouldn't that be open at the bottom instead of the solid back? Also if it were open you could put some sort of grill in it. Or do you just plan on texturing the grill in? Whats you plans for this project, are you making a high poly then baking it down? Or are you just making the low poly version like for an i phone game.
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    Bottom/Front looks a little lumpy. Not the biggest expert on cars but, wouldn't that be open at the bottom instead of the solid back? Also if it were open you could put some sort of grill in it. Or do you just plan on texturing the grill in? Whats you plans for this project, are you making a high poly then baking it down? Or are you just making the low poly version like for an i phone game.

Well I ain't so good at making high poly models, so i think i might just make a low poly and i will be leaving it open at the bottom
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Not to be mean, but it could help everyone if you'd read the comments with care as you've misunderstood a couple already. The post above means the air intakes on your bumper, which should be open or have some sort of a grill mesh in there(you understood this to mean the underside of your car, to which I'd model something, even a simple plane would help if the car should flip over or something)

You're working with vertices only right? Most of your faces are wonky which in turn gives it that lumpy feel when they aren't even close to being planar... Can't really see anything else as there are no wires and you've kinda started detailing when you haven't even shaped the basic geometry of the whole car.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    need to see some wireframes
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    What kind of specs are you shooting for?
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    need to see some wireframes

I want it to be 7,000 polies or less
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    Here's the wireframe model you have wanted

VectorGtWireframe.jpg
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    Here's an update on my model

Back
    VectorGT3.jpg

Back Wireframe

VectorGT3Wirte.jpg

Front
    VectorGT2.jpg

Front Wireframe
    VectorGT2Wirte.jpg

Critiques are welcome
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think it may be much easier if you break the car down into parts and then model them by edges. Finish each part and then align them in place. Right now if seems you're trying to build it by shifting vertices around and that makes it really hard to get a good flow for the geometry.

Any other reference material you're using for this?
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    pliang wrote: »
    I think it may be much easier if you break the car down into parts and then model them by edges. Finish each part and then align them in place. Right now if seems you're trying to build it by shifting vertices around and that makes it really hard to get a good flow for the geometry.

Any other reference material you're using for this?

Yeah
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    The next time i try to model a car or any other type of vehicle i'll use the help what you gave me properly as i have almost finished the exterior i just to do the headlights.
    Because you guys have been saying that some parts look lumpy can you please point out the bits or mark them out please
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Well, not exactly some parts, but every part of it looks lumpy and ill fitting. As has been said in previous comments, apparently you model by shifting vertices only. You do not pay attention to the alignment of any four vertex that make up a normal face (hence the wonkyness in your front bumper for example) and nothing is in a straight (or smoothly curved) line in your model, which in turn makes it look lumpy, like it's been made out of Papier-m