Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vought F4U Corsair

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Well i figure i have enough progress on this to make a port,this is what im working on now. A Vought F4U Corsair. I have always been a big WWII nut,expecially of the prop fighters and when i began learning 3d it was one of the first things i began to model. So i wanted to make a new model using all of the knowledge i have learned over the years and this is the high poly that i have so far. I got most of the majot features dow,the wing wing was a bitch to model :(. Tonight ill get the last big feature in,the back landing gear then ill move on to the small details and the cocpit.

In the end i hope to make a nice fully functional low poly model which i will import into the UDK.

4832140978_a519ed3736.jpg

4831601619_6f9bfa99b7.jpg

4832141656_c9f24c3800.jpg

4832141274_c9014d14a2.jpg

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might just be me, or is the shape of the tyres a bit weird? Usually they are more flattish on the contact surface..

Apart from that, it looks pretty solid.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    bbob wrote: »
    It might just be me, or is the shape of the tyres a bit weird? Usually they are more flattish on the contact surface..

Apart from that, it looks pretty solid.

If you were making this into an ingame model would you model that detail? if its just at the point of contact it would look weird whenever the landing gear wheels rolled along? But maybe they are a tad too stiff at the moment.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no I meant along the entire bit of the contact surface, looks a bit puffy..
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looking mighty handsome Javier, big fan of WW2 planes myself...im a bit over the russian side though. Any plans for cockpit? Might be a pain in the groin to highpoly model but would be interesting to see nevertheless.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Looking mighty handsome Javier, big fan of WW2 planes myself...im a bit over the russian side though. Any plans for cockpit? Might be a pain in the groin to highpoly model but would be interesting to see nevertheless.

Yes actually,cockpit is already in the works,i modeled out the basic interior as well as some of the seat you can not see. After all of the big stuff completed and i begin on the small parts ill model the full cockpit. I think ill have it set as a seperate element in the model with a different texture to ensure the interior has the proper pixel density.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    One more update for tonight,modeled an exhaust vent under the main body of the plane and also modelled the tail landing gear hatches as well as the well. Tomorrow on to the mechanic omponants of the tail landing gear as well as arrester hook.

4835114867_9c7d7c0658_z.jpg

4835114401_e985f9e033_z.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    very damn nice! some detail within the wings when they are folded up would be awesome
  • bbob
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    JO420 wrote: »
    One more update for tonight,modeled an exhaust vent under the main body of the plane and also modelled the tail landing gear hatches as well as the well. Tomorrow on to the mechanic omponants of the tail landing gear as well as arrester hook.

4835114867_9c7d7c0658_z.jpg

4835114401_e985f9e033_z.jpg

Yep thats the plan! I should be hitting the details within the next few days. Whats good about the corsair since the wings fold up it means the model will be nicely brken up into pieces making it easier to bake normals and an ambient occlusion