Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR15

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
marks greentooth
I'm kinda running into some issues with my lowpoly - keeping the poly count at a reasonable level. It just seems to creep up. I've been been trying to optimize but its gotten to the point now where it seems to me like cutting down anywhere really is gonna impact the visual quality. Any pointers?

high:
contagionar15fullframe0.jpg

low wip, just under 9k tri:
ar15lowjul22.jpg

Replies

• emeryalanlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your count seems really high for a weapon, unless its going to be the first person view weapon.
    like the screws on the sight, the details on the barrel grip and clip could all be done with normals maps
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good and i think optimizingin most places would cause a considerable loss in quality however there are some area that could be such as the rail guards which i would personally have normal mapped the ridges on but i guess thats a matter of opinion. i also don't see the point in having so much detail on parts tha would hardly be seen fron an FP perspective such as the small hole in the stock underneath the buffer tube and the amount of loops on the charging handle
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Oh my bad, yeah it is gonna be shown in the first-person view.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like you have floated the rails but haven't done the same with the front rail guards. Although it is hard to tell.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    ...the rail guards which i would personally have normal mapped the ridges on but i guess thats a matter of opinion.
    I intentionally decided to model the ridges on there, because the face normals of that part of the mesh are gonna be facing almost perpendicular to the camera most of the time, so the normal map is going to appear very weak there. I guess you could make the argument that it would be covered by the hand model most of the time, and it's quite a fair point.

Surfa: Yes the ridges on the rail covers are floated geo like the rail mounts.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    sick model dude! nice clean mesh. best place i can see that you could possibly strip is under the sight those few screws and stuff could probably get done through normals as they look pretty subtle even on the high poly
  • emeryalanlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could just bevel the edges on the ridge so it will show up in your normals
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    A couple of the cylindrical sections could be optimized a lot more too.

All up looking nice though.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    All that detail on the back of the mag could probably just be normal mapped, and then you can use a few more tris on the back of the receiver above the pistol grip which will be in clear view and looks pretty blocky atm

Also your stock has as much poly density as if it were something you'd actually see, which you really won't; the adjusty lever thing on the bottom has way too many polygons, for example - probably don't even need to make it anything more than a correctly-shaped block
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should actually put it into a first person view, and go from there; the whole right side could be reduced (like the bolt most noticably and the forward assist) because you won't ever see that in first person. Ditto with the stock and most likely the rear of the clip. I would hold off on reducing the front rail covers until you do some other things, I agree they will add to the FPS view. Also you cylinders that you don't see the end of, you can reduce, notably the cylinder that the stock slides on (can't remember the name right now), you most likely won't see that in first person. The front side of the holographic could also be way reduced, you can't see it. The model itself and the normals look damn clean. Good work. I'd like to see the uvs... :)