Home General Discussion

Building a workstation for home, need input

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
My current system is going on 4 years old (dual core 2.4 ghz AMD, EN7800 GTX in SLI, 2gb ram) and it's finally struggling hard to keep up.

I'm pricing a new system and I'm trying to stretch my money the best I can. I'm trying to strike a balance between buying enough performance that the system has a good lifespan, and not paying a premium for the brand-sparkly-new Bestest, Fastest, Just-came-out-est hardware that's only a hair faster than the stuff from a month ago that's $300 cheaper.

I'm not too familiar with the Quadro cards since I've never used them (even at my studio gigs), so if anybody can give some input on whether they'd be a better choice cost/performance-wise for a home art dev rig, I'd really appreciate it. (I'm primarily a Max / Photoshop / zbrush user, some Maya, and stuff like UDK)

I'm not planning on building this myself. I've had my fun building systems. Can't afford to have stuff burn out on me and have to replace it right now, so I'm going to pay the extra cost of buying it from a builder, especially since they offer a fantastic warranty and pre-sale stress testing. The company is very good, it was started by a guy my wife knew in UW Husky Marching Band and his company is very well respected in this area (he builds for Microsoft, Bungie, Paul Allen's companies, various Seattle studios)

Here's what I'm looking at currently (sorry about the messy cut-and-paste)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 860 2.8GHz 8MB 95W (Socket 1156 45nm)
Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)

Video Card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB, SLI

Hard Drive, primary: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6 Gb/s
1pix.gif

Hard Drive, secondary: Western Digital Caviar Green 2.0TB

Power Supply: Corsair HX 1000W Power Supply Edit
CPU Cooling: Gelid Tranquillo

Any suggestions? I don't have my heart set on one type of hardware in particular, and I'm not especially loyal to AMD vs Intel or ATI vs nVidia, so whatever gives me the best, longest-lifespan performance per dollar is what I'll go with.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Whats your budget?

Don't get SLI, too much of a hassle and not worth the performance, unless your going for 3 monitors or something. I'd probably just get a GeForce GTX 465, would rather leave my options open to upgrade later than spend $650 on graphics cards now.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying not to bust $3k. We have to pay sales tax here in Washington state, so whatever it adds up to, I have to fork over another 10% of that to Uncle Sugar.

I'm running a dual monitor setup, one 23.6" widescreen and a secondary 19" 4:3.

Is SLI really not that much of a performance gain these days? The SLI setup with my 7800s is pretty much the only thing that's kept them in the game this long, so I figured that performance advantage would help extend the performance lifespan of this system as well. Are the newer gen GPUs different enough that that's no longer the case?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    If anything, my last generation quad core still going on strong (q6600) but I don't do intensive scene building, and just character models.

I think a strong CPU / Ram combo is your main concern, You can fiddle around with mid range to enthusiast for video cards.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHERE IS THE SSD!
    SLI is a waste in my opinion. That money would be better put into the biggest SSD drive you can find.

I ran duel monitors and SLI for about 2 years, not worth it. SLI only works on a single monitor when in full screen mode and only really kicks in with apps that are specifically designed to take advantage. Apps like Max, Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush, MotionBuilder, they aren't written to make use of SLI so the boosts in performance are pretty small. Mix the small boost with a disabled 2nd monitor and its a deal breaker for me.

I built a system not that long ago, I got some really good suggestions and I kept it under $1,600, including tax and shipping.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72705

The card I have now is middle of the road/low end card and it plays all of my games at max settings and gives me a steady 5-15fps when animating in max. that might sound low but considering I have cloth sims, morph targets, skin morphs and a mountain of keyframes, all running in a Hardware rendering viewport it would easily kill other systems. If I'm just modeling or working on textures it stays above 100, even when I'm building a low poly around a sculpt.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I still get very high to max with most games on a single 9800GT with 1 gig vram, a $130 card, I just wouldn't go overkill too much on the graphics cards, some games still don't use SLI every well. There's always better and fast cards coming out every year, I just stick with whats the best price, $600 on something that wont play games drastically better than a $130 card isn't worth it to me. I'd still want to get one of the new 400 series cards though because tessellation looks awesome and I'm sure some game engines in the next few years will let you mess with it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree SLI is mostly for games and most game really aren't pushing even a single card all that hard. Most games are designed for consoles which in PC terms are almost on par with a business grade laptop...

So... if its not for apps that build games, and not for the games themselves... what good is it?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Yea I agree SLI is mostly for games and most game really aren't pushing even a single card all that hard. Most games are designed for consoles which in PC terms are almost on par with a business grade laptop...

So... if its not for apps that build games, and not for the games themselves... what good is it?

I stand enlightened!

Much appreciated, Vig! (et al) :) I'll have to read through the thread you linked to when I have a minute.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    My current system is going on 4 years old (dual core 2.4 ghz AMD, EN7800 GTX in SLI, 2gb ram) and it's finally struggling hard to keep up.

I'm pricing a new system and I'm trying to stretch my money the best I can. I'm trying to strike a balance between buying enough performance that the system has a good lifespan, and not paying a premium for the brand-sparkly-new Bestest, Fastest, Just-came-out-est hardware that's only a hair faster than the stuff from a month ago that's $300 cheaper.

I'm not too familiar with the Quadro cards since I've never used them (even at my studio gigs), so if anybody can give some input on whether they'd be a better choice cost/performance-wise for a home art dev rig, I'd really appreciate it. (I'm primarily a Max / Photoshop / zbrush user, some Maya, and stuff like UDK)

I'm not planning on building this myself. I've had my fun building systems. Can't afford to have stuff burn out on me and have to replace it right now, so I'm going to pay the extra cost of buying it from a builder, especially since they offer a fantastic warranty and pre-sale stress testing. The company is very good, it was started by a guy my wife knew in UW Husky Marching Band and his company is very well respected in this area (he builds for Microsoft, Bungie, Paul Allen's companies, various Seattle studios)

Here's what I'm looking at currently (sorry about the messy cut-and-paste)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    CPU: Intel Core i7 QUAD CORE 860 2.8GHz 8MB 95W (Socket 1156 45nm)
    Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333 (4x2GB)

Video Card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB, SLI

Hard Drive, primary: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6 Gb/s
    1pix.gif

Hard Drive, secondary: Western Digital Caviar Green 2.0TB

Power Supply: Corsair HX 1000W Power Supply Edit
    CPU Cooling: Gelid Tranquillo

Any suggestions? I don't have my heart set on one type of hardware in particular, and I'm not especially loyal to AMD vs Intel or ATI vs nVidia, so whatever gives me the best, longest-lifespan performance per dollar is what I'll go with.
    Hey man check out my post on what I did for my computer. My stats are very similar to yours so hopefully this helps.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1136448&postcount=50
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Tested.com has a pretty good tutorial on building a powerful rig for half your budget.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, on a scale of 1-10, how absolutely crucial would you call the SSD upgrade?

More than $250 for less than 250 gigs just seems really steep. Are we talking just "nice, noticeable performance increase", or full blown "Oh-dear-God-hang-on-to-something-what-have-I-unleashed"?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You just need a SDD for your OS and main apps (64 gig should work), and it pretty much "Oh-dear-God-hang-on-to-something-what-have-I-unleashed"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just grabbed me an Intel 80gb X25-M, yup, it's crazy fast. It's worth more than the second video card.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets put it this way, if you where my only daughter and a band of gypsies had the last SSD drive on the planet you're new name would be Tsuritsa. Like Justin said you'll see way more of a gain from a SSD drive than a 2nd video card.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCmLJtITK4[/ame]
    Score another victory for SSD.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "...if you were my only daughter and a band of gypsies had the last SSD drive on the planet your new name would be Tsuritsa.

Polycount needs to add signatures, just for that quote.

SSD it is. Would 80 gig be enough, or would 128 be enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    80 should be fine, you just got to be smart about how you manage your SSD/HDD space.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I would say different than that. As said have your other items on another drive. Get two smaller SSDs and run a 0 raid.

It actually would be better for two drives than one because the data write/read will be shared between them. So combined they would have a longer life than one SSD of a larger size. Plus of course being much faster since being Stripped.

So like 2 30 or 40 gig SSDs.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    SSD are blazing fast. Wish I had more so I could RAID them together XD So far have a 1st gen (not as fast as the newer ones) and boots windows in like 7 seconds lol. Also:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... personally I think you should plan keep your working files on the SSD also. Things like scene files, textures, sounds, animations. Anything you would be using while you work that could possibly be slowed down by a traditional platter drive. If they're small enough it doesn't really matter.

Stripping SSD drives... are you trying to make the guys house implode? I actually really like this idea.

Hahaha I was trying to find that video, awesome.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... personally I think you should plan keep your working files on the SSD also. Things like scene files, textures, sounds, animations. Anything you would be using while you work that could possibly be slowed down by a traditional platter drive. If they're small enough it doesn't really matter.

Stripping SSD drives... are you trying to make the guys house implode? I actually really like this idea.

Hahaha I was trying to find that video, awesome.

OMG SSD YES

At home on my workstation I have a 4x 30gb SSD stripe (got them for $100 each off ebay), with a traditional platter drive for backup (more reliable) storage. The SSD stripe makes for INSANE performance with a multi core processor - as an example I can click my 3ds max icon, and max is open and ready to go before I can click the photoshop icon right next to it (under 2 second load time) - example 2 is I can install UDK from the downloaded installer in under 2 mins. Its just bonkers

Quadro cards are very very nice for 3d, but if your focus is games Id just go for 2 upper range game cards. I have quadro 3500's in all my machines at work, and they are great for modeling but they have random issues with DirectX and Open GL at times - Maybe the new ones are better about that, but for the price of 1 quadro card you can buy 1 REALLY nice game card and a bunch of extra ram instead.

Just my 2 cents - hope it helps
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as SSD's wearing out I've heard everything from 5 years to 25 years, I'm not too worried.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSD are blazing fast. Wish I had more so I could RAID them together XD So far have a 1st gen (not as fast as the newer ones) and boots windows in like 7 seconds lol. Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

motherofgodsupertrooper.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $3000? I think you would do yourself a favor by cutting your budget to the $1500-1800 range, seeing what you can pack in there at that price, because you'll likely cut a good deal of stuff you didn't actually need in the first place.

It never pays off to go with ultra-high end stuff, the price curve is just too steep.

You can buy a $1500 machine every two years, or a $3000 machine every three.

[edit] Oh i see, you're going pre-built. I dont know man, is it worth $1000 to you to not have to replace a hard drive or ram stick or something yourself? Seems pretty steep. I would be interested to see what price they're quoting you, and what it would take to build it yourself, if its only a $1-200 i can see the appeal, past that, dunno....
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    egads! $3,000! I'd rather build a $1,000 or less computer and use the rest of the money on a Cintiq.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    SSD are very expensive, it does not compensate very much nowadays. To have a small part of what you see in that youtube video you need to waste too much money, and you will not have a practical PC :).

and you saw the dude? OMG that's what we call a FREAK. Use just one cheap SSD and tell how good are for those expensive prices. Don't let them to sell you what they want.

As example, one SSD Corsair 32 GB, perfomance = 195 reading / 70 MB/s writing (nothing special, and 32 gb...). And it's the cheapest one, 100+ euros + 18% of taxes + 12 euros of shippment.

If we want "real perfomance", a SSD with more than 200mb of writing... SSD corsair 120GB = 340 euro.

For much less money, 80 euro, we can buy a HDD of 1,5TB and we can get a good perfomance of more than 100 mb (writing) depending of the model. We get more GBs, a good perfomance and the price is cheap.

Actual games are more than 4-12GB, and between apps, SO, and games... with a small ssd we will need to uninstall something when it takes.

These charts are old but you can make an idea with actual HDDs. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Write-Throughput,1013.html

If you want to test your drives, try hd tach or hd tune.

I personally don't care a shit if my apps loads a few seconds faster. i own 2 WD caviar Black 1TB, and they offer a great perfomance. I think that the money is better wasted in good modules of Ram, a mid-range videocard, a good cpu, and not much more. A computer should be less than 700 euros (less than 700 dollars aswell because in computers, 1€=1$, and maybe less because you guys have cheaper prices in USA).

Buying a good chassis for the pc is a good option. When we want to upgrade, it's just to change cpu, and mobo and GPU if needed. http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810

Talking about Quadros, they are very good for work, in Max are very good, but if you want something good for gaming, you will need to pay a lot if you want Quadro. If you are not going to play a lot, mid-range quadros are good for work. There's no color working with a gamer videocard when you reach the limit of 2 million of polygons.

In Ebay we can find resellers offering OEM DELL quadros for good prices. I own a Quadro 3500 and a 5500 i bought in ebay per less than 400 euro, both dx9 and quite old now, and i don't change them :). A GTX 285 with OC, better than a 470, is a shit in Max compared to the quadro FX 3500 (a few generations older, gforce 5900 i think).

You can buy the more expensive Gamer card, that you won't get a good perfomance in Max. Quadros are something very serious, but for game art, the best is to buy a gamer card. So forget the quadros if you are not going to work with scenes with more than 20 millions of polygons or solid objects of more than 10 millions of tris.

I don't recommend to buy the high-end product of the highest, something mid-range and cheap is enough for what we need. With High-end, we waste a great amount of money in a computer we don't use at its 100%.

With 3000$ you could buy a real workstation with Xeons, server memories, and Quadro, but like computers get old very soon, it's not recommended unless if you work in something that needs the hardware and will compensate the waste of money with your earnings.