Home Technical Talk

Softimage|XSI 2010 : rendering alpha texture

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Froyok greentooth
Hello !
Today I'm trying to learn a little bit more the software. For the moment I know how to model, how to unfold an UV and various odds and ends. But I do not know any of the materials system, so I was testing this last night, and I can not load a texture and apply its alpha. To manage the transparency of it and see it in xsi.

How to do the transparancy/translucent on a texture in xsi ?
My search on google brings me back to old method that I find difficult to implement.

Note : I'm not trying to make a render, just visualize the texture when I modeling. I use xsi for export my model to the UDK.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm one of the few XSI users that frequent this board so feel free to PM or msn me with any questions.

I tend to keep my transparency as a separate texture when working in XSI, there's ways to do it with alphas and png transparency, but I like to keep it simple.

crtl+7 brings up the material manager, its a really simple node based system.

uv1JS.jpg

you can either click on Nodes > Texture > Image and double click the teal-ish box called image, then click new to find an image

or

double click on the phong node (or whatever texture type it is), click on the transparency / reflection tab, and click on the little plug by the colors and click image, then click new to find an image
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You can use the alpha channel of an image (targa, etc). Just plug the texture into the material's transparency port, and enable use alpha on the material.
    alpha_trans.jpg
    (clicking invert is optional, I did it to make black=transparent)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Thanks to you, men !
    I just try the method of cryrid, that's work ! :)
    (using a dds texture and its alpha channel)