Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]--Sean Brice

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, decided to get off my a$$ and post my site so it can get torn apart.

www.artbyseanbrice.com

Let me know what you like, don't like, want changed, needs to be removed completely---no holds barred. I met a few of you out @ GDC (such an amazing experience) so for those of you that remember me saying I'd post, here I am :-D

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    The site is fine... maybe post some of the work, cant really tell much from the website. the lighting and presentation is hurting it. from what i do see, the characters are lacking... well, some 'character' especially the outcast. i like the SCHLE model but the edge loops around the face are being wasted.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    I have a good connection and it took nearly 40 seconds for the flash stuff to load. Until then I was looking at just your backdrop. Dump the fancy crap and start off with something more basic ortherwise people won't see your work.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Alberto: I'm not sure what you mean by post some of the work---did something not show up?

@ Tea Monster, I'm not using Flash, I'm using some javascript (that's the way my web guy set it up). I just loaded the full site in about 10 secs on a wireless connection and my site wasn't cached. I do have a few pre-load scripts running to load the art images for lightbox rather than having them load per click, which might be giving you the initial long load time.

Anyone else having load issues?
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loads very slowly. I'd just stick everything on the front page for ease of access. noone likes clicking around :)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything is on the front page: the navigation just auto scrolls you down to different places on the page :-)

But it seems that there is a general load time issue, so maybe I should nix the pre-load scripts? It was either have the pre-load scripts or have the images load in lightbox later and I wasn't sure which was more off putting to an employer.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    It also loads slow for me, make sure all your images are optimized for the web. You can really scale down the file size of alot of your images without sacrificing much quality.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your demo reel video is loading behind your popup in Opera, making your video impossible to view.

In regards to the loading speed...

Edit: I just noticed that you have individual sub-backgrounds and headers for every section of the page that are 75-100k each. With your 400k base background and probably 200-250k in images for the footer/header, Your website is well over a meg in just interface elements. This is a REALLY inefficient way to design a web page.

Unless you're looking to showcase your interface design ability, you're better off putting all your images on a blank page, well formatted with clearly visible contact information. The point of a portfolio is the work in it, what you have is not a portfolio so much as a personal website with portfolio pieces in it.

An example of a portfolio done right: http://www.fx81.com/
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Canadian, alright, I'll check on that when I get off work. Thanks.

@Bibdendum, that's good to know about Opera--I don't think my web designer/builder tested Opera when he was making the site. All of the interface elements you see are his creation, so I will go back through and see if I can optimize some of that as well. Thanks for your crits.

If anyone has the patience to get through the load and look at the art, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll post another update when I get home that has fixed load issues.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Alright man, the website design is not good for a portfolio, I'm sorry to say. Basically, you don't ever want a demo real on your main page. At best give an option to download it somewhere else, but really high res images are where it's at for portfolio's. They can tell you much more than video, and load many times faster.
    In fact, one of the most important things when developing a portfolio site is fast loading times, and ease of use. No one cares how cool the site looks, all that matters is your work, and quickly showing your skill level off.

A bunch of plain images and links is what you want. A example of this setup, similar to what you are currently have (but works much better) can be found here: http://www.joshlennen.com/

Also, make sure you check out some current character artists portfolio's in the games industry, because that is your competition there. That should give you a better idea of where you skill level needs to be to land a gig. Character art is a tough route to go, and just know that you will probably be hard at work for some time to get a job in the games industry. I do think your work shows great promise, so keep it up man. You will get there!

P.S. The guy who's work I linked you to is a really badass character artist, as I'm sure you can see. He is currently looking for a studio gig I know and has experience in the games industry, so that's a great example of the competition you are up against.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Brad, thanks man. We had to make a reel for school, so that's why that's there. I do have the hi-res images on my site if you go into the gallery section. I'm going to tear down the pre-load scripts and see if that fixes some of the load issues as well as optimizing some of my web designer's graphics. If the load time wasn't as bad, do you think the design is still bad? I figured it's just 1 click to the gallery and it scrolls you down to it therefore it's not too cumbersome.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think what most people are getting is a distraction from the website design. Maybe simplify it. It also feels like on an importance scale the website is first, and ur work second.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

When bibendum mentioned the load issues, I checked out the images at work. I still have some .png images that are pre-loading with the site, so that's almost 4 MB right there. All of the headers/pieces of images aren't as bad, so it's making me believe that the pre-load scripts are causing the issues right now over anything else. Thanks for the heads up guys: once I'm off work then I can fix it and get critiques on the actual art :-D
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loads very quick for me, but if these slowbies are having a problem i'd work on it. Fairly good execution on the characters, but you might want to use better concepts. The one problem in execution i see is the diffuse, they're ending up being almost just solid colors when i think they could be doing more to work with the normal. Maybe more AmbOcc dunno.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Site won't load for me...

can't crit what I can't see
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ achillesian: sweet, someone got to the art! I'm definitely going to be fixing the load issues when I get home for people having load time problems. Thanks for the crit man and yeah, I agree: looking at some of the pieces, the diffuse could probably be pushed a bit more.

@n88tr: What browser are you using? I've never had the problem of the site not loading at all in the main browsers (FFox, Chrome, IE). Also, do you have javascript enabled? The site is heavy with it, so that might be the issue.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I fixed the load time issue, at least on my comps at home, so let me know if any of you are still having issues. If not, great---that means I can get my art torn apart now! :-D

www.artbyseanbrice.com
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    all of the images are huge file size wise and it takes a while for everything to load.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ZacD, none of the images are really huge, except the background image itself. The images are loading in with a pre-load script instead of having them load with lightbox so there shouldn't be any issues. Is anyone else still having load time issues?
  • A Rabid Moose!!!
    It loads pretty smoothly for me. Probably about 10 seconds and I don't have a great connection speed.

The only problem I had with it was that your demo reel was tiny. I liked all the animations and stuff, but because I could only see the video at a tiny size, I just assumed that they weren't very good models. It seems like you are hiding them by doing that and they could be pretty good.

Just make it simple like everyone is saying. It is your work that we want to see! :)
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I thought this was one of the best overly designed websites I have seen. It is functional and looks really good. Unfortunately your character textures are super bland add some color variation to them. When your web design skills show up your game art you have a problem.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Rabid, thanks---I'm glad to see the load time issue is starting to go away. That's the first time I heard anything about the reel's size, so I'll work on that (I want to just make a new reel honestly, ha, but I don't know if another reel is worth it).

@Laughing, thanks for the texture critiques. As for the site design, I said it before earlier in the thread, but I didn't create my website, a friend of mine did. Nevertheless, I do need to make my artwork stand out in comparison to his site design.

Keep the crits coming please! :-)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other crits? Site navigation? Art? Resume?
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Perhaps it's just my computer/browser (I don't know a thing about web design), but the pictures/resume are automatically snapping to the top of my page regardless of whether I scroll or not. This is making it impossible to view the bottom of your art and resume. I also can't close any of the gallery pages or the resume which is a pain in the ass.

Also, the demo reel needs to be larger. Difficult to discern any sort of details.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    about the art, i think your textures look very dull , there is no depth nor color variation in them.
    Also the anatomy is off a lot of the times, try doing more study sculpts
    leave out the details and try to tackle the big shapes first

on the site itself, it looks cool but it's overkill for a portfolio
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ James, yeah, I noticed a similar issue too on my Mac: are you using a Mac as well? Thanks for the demo reel comment: you're not the first person to say that so that's something I will be updating in the future (if I don't take the reel down all together.

@Raven, thanks for the crits man. The next pieces I do I'll be sure to take your crits into account when it comes to the textures. As for the anatomy things, I agree and will do more studies soon. You say it's overkill for a portfolio: is the dramatics of it distracting you from the art or is it just really in your face with the way it looks/functions? Thanks for the crits---it's the only way to get better!