Home Technical Talk

Portfolio Questions / Opinions wanted

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
Im in the middle of revamping my online portfolio and have come across a few issues that i thought you guys might be able to comment on.

the url of my site is here www.robertfletcher.org/portfolio/
its based on a template provided by Isaac Oster Its really nice and simple. I've expanded the functionality a little to allow breakdown images to be linked at the right side of the image but otherwise its Isaacs template.

Content wise i've added a couple of images to test how its working. could you guys load it up and give you opinions on how its working so far? Im more interested in comments on the UI than the quality of work for the moment

Do you guys think i should be adding watermarks?(i had this suggestion) i dont really want to.
is the width Ok, can you see the whole UI?

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty slow at first. When I click a thumb, the little one appears on the right, then a few seconds later the image jumps in. I thought something was wrong.

Can't save your images, that's bullshit. Makes it tough for employers to keep you on file.

And F'n YES watermark your images. Don't do that stupid crap over the image itself. I'm just talking about your name or contact info in the bottom corner. You have NO idea how many sick images I've saved that I'll never be able to link back to who made it.

Edit; yea that templete site sucks, find a better one.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Remember that name, he was the guy who was on one of the game mentor podcasts. But yeah the images were slow. Since this in flash, you can't save any of the images like cholden said. You could try some HTML ones...CSS isnt that hard nowdays or when I see co-workers using it, it looks simple :poly121:
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers Guys. I hadnt considered saving the images.

The Speed is an annoying issue i cant really fix. The hosting I'm using is very fast. with a good connection here in Ireland the download is as good as instant. I think distance may well be an issue in your speed problem.

I will fix the image saving issue, I've been talking with a good mate of mine and he's offered to help me do the same style site in HTML/CSS. if that doesnt pan out i will give a obvious download link to a zip containing all the images.
  • Ben Apuna
    Eek! flash! :(

It's pretty slow loading images for me, maybe 5 seconds for the initial load of each image. Might be because I'm on the other side of the world or it might just be flash.

I like your tank.