Home General Discussion

Environment concepts, painting over 3D block ins?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth
I'm not sure what the industry and community thinks of this process. It's probably fine, especially for speed, but I wanted to know what professionals, or recruiters think about it to make sure I don't sabotage my education.

I've been learning perspective and some architectural drawing to learn to freehand environments quickly (a useful skill since I want to be a concept artist someday). But I'm also trying to do my own 3D environments, and freehanding isn't cutting it for the details, especially for urban/blocky environments since I'm still learning.

Is it okay to do some concepts as paint overs first?

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see what the problem should be, but I would imagine that an employer could care less if you draw from pure imagination, or if you use a 3D blockout as a base.

Its not like its cheating anyone, its just getting the job done quicker.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    From what I understand this is a fairly common practice. I know Valve does it and many of the Gnomon concept art tutorials use 3D bases.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Very common practice by concept artists. Use a quick 3D mock up is a great way to get all your perspective lines matching up correctly. The trick is to not limit yourself to the 3D block out. Be sure to add new things or totally scrap the block out if its not working for the concept. Use it as a base.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Haha, awesome. Check the News page in about 8 hours :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know any 2D/Concept artists that know 3D and don't use this technique...if that makes sense.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Scroll down for the 3d block in step by step.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57060

Also, in the first Mass Effect art book they have what looks like sketchup layouts of levels. They didn't even bother to paintover it.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Vertrucio wrote: »

I've been learning perspective and some architectural drawing to learn to freehand environments quickly (a useful skill since I want to be a concept artist someday). But I'm also trying to do my own 3D environments, and freehanding isn't cutting it for the details, especially for urban/blocky environments since I'm still learning.

Is it okay to do some concepts as paint overs first?
    It's pretty common but knowing perspective and architectural drawing is a very good plus. I mean, you don't want to do 3d models of every little object in a concept image, right? It's sometimes much faster to just paint the objects.
    I usually use 3d screenshots of a simple scene with boxes as a base to start with in order to get the perspective right and then I do the rest by hand(small details, characters etc).
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't say I am concept artist yet, as I need much more experience, but for almost all the sci fi props I've done, I like using this technique, doing small 2D thumbs first in PS, then choosing one and blocking it in max, it has the advantage to let you develop things relatively fast, and come with new ideas that might come tricky in 2D (even print screening from max, back to PS and then back to max if useful), adding path deform/bend/twist..etc, it speeds up the process significantly for me, then I use matte shaders (low refl), do simple 3 point light render (for a prop) and then all the blablabla post paintover again in PS. Hope this helps.

And as autocon says, do not hesitate to scrap the block out if it doesnt work.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yes. Very common.

But. I'd make sure you have a good understanding of perspective before you use this technique too much. Its a great way to block out a scene but you cant rely on it all the time.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a concept artist and I do this all the time. Not only for environments, but also for props and weapons. For sure, it isn't a way to demonstrate untainted and pure tour-de-forces of your mighty drawing skills, but it does offer other benefits that drawings lack. Namely speed and clarity. It does speed things up hugely, and in the process it leaves you with a 3D blockout that the 3D artists can reference to give them as clear a notion as possible what you were aiming for in your drawing (but, as others have mentioned, don't be boxed in by your blockout (3D -> 2D paintover -> 3D is a great idea for helping with this).

Also, if your environment artists are working with modular pieces of map (which is a very common way to construct environments in games), and maybe there's a super tight deadline and don't have time to make a lot of new pieces, you can use their pieces in 3D (in perhaps novel ways), and add smaller things so your concepts are geared towards something that's very achievable for them.

Generally, the more straight lines a thing has, the better it is to use 3D and the more time it saves. Something very organic and curvy (whether it's an environment or not) is less likely to benefit from this sort of blockout.

However, in production art, *everything* is allowed so long as it gets the product out better and/or faster. If you produce striking, fast, usable concepts, people aren't going to care whether you're making them with Maya or a twig dipped in ink. They'll just tell you to keep it up.
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use this method alot especially since I don't have very good 2d skills. I read X-Convict article on the front page and it was a great read and i picked up alot of good tips too. I do have a question though.

Does anyone ever concept environments in the game engine?

After messing around with udk Ive found it really easy to block out a simple geometry quickly and swiftly and that I find gives me a better sense of space in my scene. I follow the same procedure you would in max, after blocking with BSPs I then make simple shaders to place on the em followed by some lighting with lightmass and some post process effects. After this i just grab a screen and PS it up to my heart's desire. Granted its harder to do more complex geometry but I like this method.

Does anyone else do this?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yes this is an awesome method especially when there are gameplay considerations. An architecturally accurate concept doesn't guarantee it's fun to play on.

The Reikland Factory scenario in Warhammer Online was gray-boxed with simple shapes to get an almost final gameplay layout and then a concept was drawn over it.