Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Mike Yevin, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
**UPDATE - 7/17/10**

Okay so after another day of working on it, I think I have it to a reasonable size, which allows the viewer to see plenty of art without having to scroll at all. I want to hear everyones feedback on the new design, and if it works well with your browser/resolution combo (a side note of the browser your viewing it in, and your resolution size would be a great help)

http://www.mikeyevin.com

Again, thanks for taking the time to check out the site

Well it's about time I came out from behind the cover of the community and started getting everyones feedback. I am in the middle of designing and getting my portfolio up and running, but I am worried about how the site looks on most other monitors.

Here's the site in question (keep in mind its under construction so nothing is actually functioning)

So my question is regarding the layout, what do you think about the size of the header? The size of the preview boxes? Is everything visible (enough) on even the lower resolutions?

I'm designing the site in a 1024x768 photoshop window but the more I look at it, the more I think it may not provide enough initial viewing room for the visitor. On my end it looks fine, but I'm using 1920x1200 resolution which I not everyone uses lol.

Any critique regarding the layout sizes and any additional information I left out, or need to take out would be such a great help for me. The actual content is an entirely different story lol.

Thanks again and I appreciate your time :)

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the layout, simple and clean. How ever it would be nice if you had some contrasting colors in there to catch the eyes of the viewer.

Good luck man.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Too Big. You want them big enough that people can see what they need to, but small enough that they can see at least a few items at a time.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy: I agree that it is too big, I have made some adjustments and I think it allows for more content to be on the front page, while still giving the viewer a decent "preview" of the asset.

I have made a few adjustments, along with including a splash of color. Let me know what you all think.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I made some changes and I wanna see what everyone thinks. I also updated the first post so no one would have to read all the way down here lol
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Your site layout is fine. Just work on making more pieces and better pieces. I see alot of posts on polycount each month with people working a lot on there web portfolio. I honestly dont care about the details of the site as long as I can view your work easily. Quality of your work is more important then the site, and imho it doesn't take much to make a web portfolio that gets the job done(Ex. Art blogs). Good luck!