Home Technical Talk

Problem with Normal Bake

Hi there Polycounters. This will be my first thread at this forum.

Anyhow lets get right into it. Im doing a small UDK scene for the purpuses of practice texture making and fancy normnal map sculpting. To my help i have Mudbox 2011.

However im getting really strange errors i cant seem to find any help for so i assumed this would be the place to go.

So this is my lowpolymodel.
3dsmaxlowpoly.png

Here is the low poly UV's with it i export into Mudbox 2011.
UVshelp.jpg

This is the result of the sculpt, just some worn edges to give it a moore stone look, yes its not perfect but its for learning.
mudboxsculpt.png

And after i run a normal map extract operation from within Mudbox i get this horrible abomination.
result.jpg

And trust me it looks even worse in UDK.

Can someone tell me what i have done wrong here? I dont have that much experience with sculpting normal maps.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    in that shot, it doesn't look like it's rendering correctly at all. Like the green channel needs to be inverted, or the renderer itself is doing something strange. Doesn't look like just the normals are wonky, since the worn edge going top to bottom also doesn't look right.

What app did you model in? If it's max, have you tried resetting xform and collapsing back to epoly?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    So you're baking in Mudbox right? As far as I'm aware, Mudbox doesn't support smoothing groups; edges have to be split manually if you want them to be hard. Try to bake the same mesh in Xnormal or Max and see if it looks any better (you will need to import a cage in XNormal, otherwise you will get nasty seams).
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrm ok ill try out Xnormal, never used it before but sometime has the be the first right.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So you're baking in Mudbox right? As far as I'm aware, Mudbox doesn't support smoothing groups; edges have to be split manually if you want them to be hard. Try to bake the same mesh in Xnormal or Max and see if it looks any better (you will need to import a cage in XNormal, otherwise you will get nasty seams).

at some time I need to head over to the wiki and look into 3ds max smoothing groups. Always confused by them since in Maya we just have soften edge and harden edge.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God bless xNormal!