Home Technical Talk

Rendering Edgeloops and Wireframes in Maya

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
So I've been in the process of updating my portfolio, and for certain wireframe shots of high poly models or sub-d style models I'd much rather render a wireframe that looks similar to the one displayed when a polygon object in Maya is set to High Quality Display (Keyboard Shortcut '3'), or similar to how SyncViewS' MR Materials for 3D Studio Max work. I've found plenty of tutorials detailing how to render wireframes in Maya using MentalRay and contours, however this just results in rendering every quad, which can look really busy, and doesn't give as much of a clear idea of how the edgeloops are set up as the other methods do.

If anyone knows of any way in Maya to achieve this, or any Maya plug-in or shader that I can download that would work, it would be much appreciated. I understand one way of doing this would be to just render a playblast of the mesh with High Quality Display on, but I'm mainly looking to see if there is a solution to this that works with batch rendering, and is a bit more tweakable.