Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arkham Asylum Tribute: Black Mask

I liked Batman Arkham Asylum a lot, and thought it'd be a good idea to create another of the rogues and aspire to that standard of quality. This is my version of Black Mask, loosely based on the concept by Carlos D'Anda.

Currently he's at 16,884 tris, with 2K diffuse, normal and specular maps. Rendered in the updated Marmoset Toolbag engine. Tweaking textures now, will pose him soon. Critiques are very welcome.

Mask_Concept_Sheet.jpg

Mask_Concept.jpg

Black_Mask_14.jpg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    - I feel that his skull is a bit narrow on top, especially looking from behind, try to make the cranium sides on top wider.
    - Sencondly you should try to make the lines going vertical on his pants slightly white for more of that thugish feeling.
    - The tattos on his arms look like stickers, maybe go with full tatto sleeves instead for more of that badass feeling.
    - And last, his shirt looks like it has the matterial of a sack, try with somethink more silky.

Kudos on the tie, i dig it alot!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Does he need 2k maps? I think you could probably bring it down to 1k and get away with the details you have there. Also can we see the wire?
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinking those pants have some real small lines on them which could give some antialiasing problems, the shirt seems like some kind of really rough material , shrits are usually very well made and not so rough and leathery.

The model is definately there just FFD some of the proportions (the skull seems very slim), and minor adjust the textures :P
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands, samgriffiths: Thanks for the crits, I've worked on the skull and the shirt. Arms and pants still to be worked on.

Torch: Yeah, I can downsize the textures. They're holding up at 1K quite well.

Here are some new Marmoset screengrabs under different lighting conditions, and viewport grabs and wireframes. Critiques are welcome.

Black_Mask_15.jpg

Black_Mask_16.jpg

Black_Mask_Viewport.jpg

Black_Mask_Wires.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Rendering reminds me of Saints Row 2.
    Not nessacarily a bad thing, but if you're shooting for Arkham asylum style, its a bit off.
    Nice though