Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beatrix - female char WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,

Looking for some critique on this character that I'm working on. I started her a while back but never got around to finishing her and getting her in-game, and now I'd like to finish her and hopefully get this character portfolio-ready.

Along those lines, I'd love to hear some suggestions for how I can improve the character before I dive in and start the retopo/textures. Thanks!

Replies

• dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    her arms look a little thin for a swordswoman
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    beatrix from FFIX right?

looks alright, could do with working on proportions a bit though.
    shorten the legs, and the torso and arms a tad, widen the hips, give her an actual figure.

also, her face is a little... manly, she has a very wide face, and there's no softness to her lips.
  • achillesian
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice overall. A few things that stand out to me:

The mouth should closer to the nose. A good rule of thumb for an "attractive" face is that the bottom edge of the lower lip is halfway between the bottom of the nose and the bottom of the chin (a lot of people put the mouthline in the middle). The face in general could use a bit more work in the profile.

The big hair curls all end at about the same length and are of similar size/shape so it creates an odd collar effect. Perhaps that's by design, but I would still be inclined to vary the size of the curls and the placement more.

Her shoulders and hips are a bit narrow. The arms look fine in side view, but very skinny in front view. The legs almost have the opposite problem because you can't see any of the leg at all in side view (I know the skirt is covering it, but the space that's there looks very thin). A lot of people like to lengthen the lower leg a bit for a more graceful appearance.

Her pose is a bit stiff and could use more of the natural curve of a body at rest.

I like the details a lot. Most things look cleanly sculpted, and I think you'll have a really nice model in the end.
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to quickly redo the belt (because I'm not at all happy with it), and then I'll go back and adjust some body proportions and work on the face to make it more feminine and attractive. The hair is pretty much just a placeholder at the moment. When I retopo I'll be rebuilding the hair. The pose will change when I rig the low poly. Thanks again! Very helpful.
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    Update - I've attached some images of the retopo'd version of the character as it stands now with some texture work done and the rebuilt hair. I still have to do the sword and some sort of scabbard for it, and I'm still not entirely happy with the hair... I'll probably end up redoing it.

Suggestions? Comments? All would be welcome, particularly about anything I can do to improve the hair and textures.

Thanks!!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    perhaps work on the lighting a little as the character is coming along pretty good
  • Jonathan Marshall
    I'd have used the original hair. Honestly, I think it looked way more accurate.