Home General Discussion

Lebron James going to Miami Heat, joining Wade and Bosh.

Replies

• Kewop Decam
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I'm from Miami and all my friends are going nuts. I couldn't care less. I honestly think in a best of 7 the Lakers would still win.

The Cav's Owner however has something to say
    Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;
    As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.
    This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.
    Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.
    The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.
    There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.
    You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.
    You have given so much and deserve so much more.
    In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:
    "I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING' WINS ONE"
    You can take it to the bank.
    If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.
    Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.
    Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.
    This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.
    But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.
    The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.
    Just watch.
    Sleep well, Cleveland.
    Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....
    I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:
    DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....
    Dan Gilbert
    Majority Owner
    Cleveland Cavaliers
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, i think this whole thing has been a circus that Lebron initiated just to pad his already inflated ego. Cmon, a one hour special?! I started to lose a lot of respect for the guy during the Celtics series, where he basically just gave up, and then made those comments about how he "spoiled" the fans after game 5. Lebron is not a leader, he's an extremely talented player, but not a leader and not someone that can take a team to the title when he's at the helm and has to shoulder that responsibilty. Maybe later in his career, but not now.

I don't think Gilbert's letter and comments were exactly the most professional thing to do though.

The thing is, the Heat are far from guaranteed a title. They still need a center, or else they don't get past Dwight Howard and the Magic, and they desperately need to flush out the rest of the team, which they will be VERY hard pressed to do now with the money they have. The one thing they have going for them is the appeal of playing with those 3 to lure stars. But I don't think they can beat the Magic in a 7 game series, and I certainly don't think they can beat the Lakers if they make it to the finals. We'll see.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    why do people care so much about this issue?
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    People care because this free agency has been talked about for at least 2 years prior to this, with teams making moves to be in the best position possible with so many of the best players in the league being free agents at the same time. Depending on how things went, it potentially changed up the entire makeup of the league. And it did, the Eastern Conference became a much, much stronger conference.
  • Sisqo
    I care about it because Im a huge basketball fan and I think that this has just killed the NBA.. dwade vs lebron was on of the best match ups in the game and it will never happen again. What happend to the players who wanted compatition and not to just walk to a championship. Isnt the chase a big part of what makes it so special?

This is just coming from a bitter Raptors fan lol But no where close to as bitter as the cavs owner..
    Read the letter he wrote to his fans
    http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html
  • foreverendering
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, it's pretty crazy. Will be interesting to see how the "Three Kings" scenario plays out.

As a Magic fan, the Heat now pose a serious threat in the playoffs. I still think Orlando is more balance, so hopefully that will be enough. And we still have Dwight :)

As for LBJ, the one hour special seemed self-serving and although he is incredibly talented, he comes across as an egomaniac.
  • swampbug
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Hurray for Basketball. The best sport for putting a ball in a hoops for points.
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I do care because I'm a big fan of the sports. And it's another form of entertainment for me, you just can't make art all time.

As a Laker fan, I don't think they can beat the champs in a 7 game series unless they can get themselves a really good center that can make life hard for Gasol and Bynum. And a good bench, which I think is critical(which I don't think they can get one, because of their remaining cap space).

Pau Gasol is way better than Bosh IMO. Kobe will always be the best player on the planet until he retires. Artest can make life hard for Lebron. And Phil is a better coach than Riley. That's why I don't see them beating the Lakers. And I don't even think they can beat the Celtics or Magic.

And I have a feeling that Lebron will have bad karma because of what he did to cavs fans.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Dear Dan Gilbert: Keep dreaming.

Honestly in all of this I feel bad for Shaq. He got dragged to Cleveland to be the big guy for Lebron, and now he's on another worthless team. Whoops, time to retire dude.
  • beartraps
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    boyluya wrote: »
    Pau Gasol is way better than Bosh IMO. Kobe will always be the best player on the planet until he retires. Artest can make life hard for Lebron. And Phil is a better coach than Riley. That's why I don't see them beating the Lakers.

Spoken like a true Laker fan. Lets be honest... Kobe is nearing the end of his career within the next 4-5 years and these 3 guys are in their prime. They completely own Boston's big 3 and everything everyone is saying now was being said about Boston just 3 years ago. Rondo was nothing before Garnett and Allen got there and he's turned into a top 3 PG in the NBA. These 3 guys will make anyone that plays with them so much better.

Eric Spoelstra, not Pat Riley, is coaching this team and this has nothing to do with coaching, the bottom line is Lebron and Wade are both arguably as good or better than Kobe Bryant. Chris Bosh is easily a top 3 PF. They have all won and lost together on the biggest stage in the olympics, this whole thing is about winning and nothing else... shit they even took less money just to play together and be able to sign more talent! Mike Miller is coming, Derek Fisher may be coming... realize that signing these 3 was only the 1st step in the Heat's plan.

Now i'm not one for how Lebron handled this situation, this whole spectacle on ESPN was just awful and I feel for the Cleveland fans. Having said that, Dan Gilbert is a classless shithead for acting like such a child. Lebron gave that city and franchise 7 years of hard work, and just because he was born there does not mean he has to rot and waste his career in Cleveland. Gilbert has dug an even bigger grave for the Cavs by making these ridiculous empty promises to Cavs fans, attempting to cast voodoo magic curses at Miami, and publicly insulting a guy that made a decision that was best for himself rather than for Gilbert. Who the fuck would want to play for him and his franchise now? I really do feel sorry for Cleveland fans to have such a shit owner...

Bring on the hate. Lets go Heat!
  • Kewop Decam
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    All I know is if the Heat don't win, this will be greatest failure in sports history.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    They won't win. This kind of teambuilding works, but not immediately. Give them a year or two and they should be pulling in rings.

If they don't implode in a diva festival first.
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Laker fan. Lets be honest... Kobe is nearing the end of his career within the next 4-5 years and these 3 guys are in their prime. They completely own Boston's big 3 and everything everyone is saying now was being said about Boston just 3 years ago. Rondo was nothing before Garnett and Allen got there and he's turned into a top 3 PG in the NBA. These 3 guys will make anyone that plays with them so much better.

Eric Spoelstra, not Pat Riley, is coaching this team and this has nothing to do with coaching, the bottom line is Lebron and Wade are both arguably as good or better than Kobe Bryant. Chris Bosh is easily a top 3 PF. They have all won and lost together on the biggest stage in the olympics, this whole thing is about winning and nothing else... shit they even took less money just to play together and be able to sign more talent! Mike Miller is coming, Derek Fisher may be coming... realize that signing these 3 was only the 1st step in the Heat's plan.

Rondo a top 3 PG? Not with that free throw average. I'd take Nash, Paul, Parker, and D-Williams at the 1 ahead of him by leaps and bounds.

Gotta disagree with you about Wade and Lebron being better than Kobe. Lebron doesn't have the heart of a champion or that "win at all costs" mentality that the greats have. Wade has the better mentality but isn't as skilled as Kobe. Lebron in particular is going to burn out his career with the style of play that he has. I'm certainly not one of those people that thinks that Kobe is the next Jordan or anything, but cmon...Wade or Lebron better than him? No way.

At this moment, I think the Heat would have a hard time wtih the Celtics, and certainly can't beat the Magic with the lineup they have. Those two teams just have a better chemistry and more pieces. Remember when the Lakers put together that All-Star Lineup with Payton and Malone in the mix? And remember when the Pistons completely took them apart in the Finals? The Heat still need a lot of pieces before they can dominate the way people are talking. Now, if they can do that in the time to come (getting a 5 should be first and foremost on their list) then they can be a dominating team. And thats without even mentioning how the team chemistry is going to be. Games on the line, who takes the final shot?
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    swampbug wrote: »
    Hurray for Basketball. The best sport for putting a ball in a hoops for points.

Wrong.

Basketball doesn't even have ritualistic sacrifices.