Home General Discussion

It's over

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
Blizzard has jumped the shark. It is a one way ride to blind corporate evil from this point onwards.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041
The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Dang. Don't know if i want that to be honest. :/

I never really post at the official forums though so I guess it's not a super big deal for me.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems to be a step past their boundaries. Aren't they worried about people being able to back search someone? All you really need is their first and last name. And I know wow is filled with a lot of angry nerds.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    That's the point.

maybe the nerds won't be so fucking horrible to each other if they can't hide behind their anonymity.

This doesn't effect me at all, but I'm all for it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    That's the point.

maybe the nerds won't be so fucking horrible to each other if they can't hide behind their anonymity.

I'm less worried about the nerds offending each other than the nerds who think its OK or acceptable to hunt someone down and harass them in real life because they ganked them in WoW or something.

The nerds who talk shit on the internet are harmless. It's the ones who take it seriously that are worrisome.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Trust me from my recent run ins with my own online stalker and annoyance I am all for this. Don't know just how much it would have changed my situation since I actually know who was bothering me over and over but the fool was just too damn retarded to realize just how bad he was screwing up.

Calling someones cell phone over and over super late at night and creating various screen names just to harass someone after they continue to block you. Yeah good times.

That's ok though. What goes around comes around and usually it's a lot worse when it comes back.

On the Blizzard side I see why they are doing it. Hope it helps out.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone hear about the counterstrike player who kept losing in knife fights, so he hunted down the guy owning him and stabbed him the chest? Yeah, that comes to mind. I contest anyone who dismisses that possibility as non plausible.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this probably has a lot to do with it

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-04/24/content_8039953.htm

yet another reason I'm glad I didn't pre-order

Fuck you blizzard [and all other parties implementing similar policies], the anonymity of the internet was one of the things that made it the revolutionary wild west that it is. You will not get my business.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Besides posting messages with real name, major Internet portals also demand that each person leave no more than 100 pieces of messages every day.

Let's hope the US (and Polycount) don't implement such policies, eh ZacD?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah... really don't know how I feel about this.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    That's the point.

we are in agreement.

The forums belong to them, they can run them how they please. How is taking away anonymity an evil act? If what you're saying is so "edgy" that you can't post it on blizzard's forum attached to your name, then don't post it or post it elsewhere.

It's like the KKK parading on your lawn and forcing them to take off their masks. And yes, I very much do think pricks in the KKK and pricks on the internet can all be grouped together.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a fool. It would be simple to track these people down, with their ip and real name, I've seen it done in other forums.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There is a reason why facebook became the biggest community out there, and I guess blizzard wants in on that style of community.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a fool. It would be simple to track these people down, with their ip and real name, I've seen it done in other forums.

I could track down about 99% of the people on this forum who post regularly.
    I am outside your window right now.

So what exactly are you planning on doing to inspire a stranger to track your down btw? Is it something you would do in person?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Surely the key distinction with this idea is the optional attachment of in-game characters to their player's RealID's, and the fact that RealID's won't be revealed in-game?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    danshewan wrote: »
    Let's hope the US (and Polycount) don't implement such policies, eh ZacD?

I don't know what I'd do with my spare time D:
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    I could track down about 99% of the people on this forum who post regularly.
    I am outside your window right now.

So what exactly are you planning on doing to inspire a stranger to track your down btw? Is it something you would do in person?

Well maybe I am being a little overly paranoid, I know you dont need the full name, to track someone down, but there's id theft using names and ip, addresses(siging up to credits cards, etc, there is a ton load of id theft going on, there's no reason to give them more info easily). Also cyberbullying theres a lot of that going on at the moment. I know there are people out there waiting for me to show my face and will try and track me down and destroy me.:shifty:

Do women really want there sex identified in online games, sometimes they go to a lot of trouble to hide itm for good reasons.

There are lots of people that do not care that their identity is exposed, and will act as they always had, like idiots.

And bollocks to "nothing to hide nothing to fear", no single person is perfectly pure, privacy is everyones right, you cant guess at what others may find wrong in you or your actions, and what repercusions may come from that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and its easier to think and type something rude/hateful, than it is to say it to somebody's face.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    And then no girl ever posted on Blizzard's forums again.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm very, very curious to see how this goes. I don't post on their forums anyway so I could care less, but I think this will cut down the douchebag factor, if only a little. then again, it will also probably reduce the amount of users they have on their forums.

I'm not too concerned.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    So what. Don't post on the Blizzard forums. Problem solved. Damn I'm good!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    This is honestly a good decision that's not leading them to being an evil corporate run studio. The new battle net and forcing you to buy separate versions of the game to play in other regions is leading to that.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone mentioned in another forum, it should be fun tracking down all the famous people whom play, or maybe even the can have a chance a chance at finally catching Osama Bin Laden.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a disconnect between the forum and the game by not having your character's name shown on the forum. The only thing this does is keep people from nerd-raging on the forums; I'm sure there'll still be plenty of in-game trashtalk. As it stands, there's plenty of ways for someone to get your personal information without knowing your name. I don't see how this 'endangers' anyone who isn't prepared to think before they type. If you're ballsy enough to shit talk with your real name next to the post, you'd better be prepared to back up what you say. Accountability sucks, eh?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Artifice wrote: »
    Accountability sucks, eh?

But it's so much easier to blame your inability to act like a 12 year old on the internet anymore on Blizzard turning into a corporate monster!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    im more worried about the subscription fee for battle.net...... heard a rumour they are combining a fee for bnet and WoW.... 1 monthly fee for both.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sum total of wont be that though, those crazy little children wont suddenly realise "OH MY GAWWD, everyone knows my name now, I better behave responsibly".

They dont care about their identity they dont know enough to care about it. I garantee it wont stop any of the smack/shit talking folks. The sum total of it will be exactly the same as it was before and probably more specific.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    im more worried about the subscription fee for battle.net...... heard a rumour they are combining a fee for bnet and WoW.... 1 monthly fee for both.

Well I think that rumor is a result of these rumors.

-S. Korea will be getting SCII free, as long as they paying a WOW Subscription
    -Russia is on a pay to play basis.

I think the real names won't matter to the majority (although I like to maintain my anomitility, as I've already been a victim of credit card fraud myself) As one of my friends is bugging me every other day if the beta is back, and seroiusly it's getting annoying.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Accountability sucks, eh?

There seems to be a handful of people who think this is what people are concerned about, so I'll spell it out for you guys:

We are not worried that we suddenly won't be able to act like idiots on the internet any more. We are concerned that the not-so-stable people that play games (of which there are many) might overreact a little after getting beaten in one too many duels. Someone on shacknews linked to an article where a guy was recently killed for talking during a movie. This is not an unreasonable concern. Another concern mentioned in the official battle.net thread is that women are going to be put at much greater risk now (risk of stalking online, risk of stalking in reality, harassment for cybersex, etc). If you think this is bullshit, I encourage you to talk to a couple of female gamers.

Can anyone think of a good reason for this policy? Anonymous flame wars on a forum between idiots hurt no one, except the people dumb enough to get excited about them in the first place. Yes, they're annoying, but they're still completely harmless. This new policy, on the other hand, could lead to serious problems for people who've done *nothing* stupid or wrong.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why does anyone care?

My name on US-West and East have always been jacque_choi, as has my steam name.

I don't get harassed by people trying to look me up.

But I have been called the N-bomb, along with various other completely racist/homophobic names. I'd like to think that would end if they couldn't hide behind an alias.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    If anyone tracks me down IL probably take a golf club and shove it up their ass *.

Theres a lot of stupid/insane people in the world and I really dont mind not having all those i meet ingame/internet people to know exactly who and where I am. I mean im a pretty gentle guy and try not to step on anyones toes. But its impossible because some people get offended and angry sometimes without you even knowing. I met this one kid who was angry at me because he thought I was cheating at a LAN, ofcourse that time i could settle it right there just showing him I wasnt.

Im with Ferg, good points Ferg!

* Sideways

jk i dont play golf
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    But I have been called the N-bomb
    N00b?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Ferg wrote: »
    There seems to be a handful of people who think this is what people are concerned about, so I'll spell it out for you guys: ....

totally agree with you here.

If there's a problem on the forums Blizz can already get your real name, account info, yadda yadda and step in. I don't see how giving out my real name to 3rd parties helps - it's certainly not needed to connect with your "RL" friends. If I want them to know my WoW forum name, then I'll tell them and if not, then I don't. duh.

I just hate this "we'll make it more SOCIAL (without asking you for your consent)" BS which is such a "hot thing" in gaming CEOs minds. If I want to blare out to the world what I'm doing I'll just get Facebook, Twitter, Xfire, etc. But believe it or not, some people just want to be left alone and have a quiet time enjoying their games without getting pokes and nudges all the time from the real world.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to take issue with using a few oddball examples of people acting crazy to make a case for or against the policy. There's been crazy people acting crazy since we came down from the trees. I personally don't think 'protecting' the general public from themselves because of a few extreme examples is warranted. I do think that accountability is an issue though. The zeitgeist now is that as long as it's on a computer screen, it doesn't really matter. The children of the 90s are growing up with that mentality, and unless something changes, it's just going to continue and get worse. I think an equal case can be made that without things like bnet's new policy, incidents like those you cited will increase as more and more people embrace a narcissistic and unempathetic view of others. That's just my opinion, I'm certainly not going to try and convince anyone that it's the only way to see the issue.

Unrelated from all that, another thing to consider is that Blizzard has most likely done their research into this. They're not known for acting rashly and without the long view in mind. If they really thought this was going to lead to people getting hurt or harrassed, they most likely wouldn't implement it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Unrelated from all that, another thing to consider is that Blizzard has most likely done their research into this. They're not known for acting rashly and without the long view in mind. If they really thought this was going to lead to people getting hurt or harrassed, they most likely wouldn't implement it.

dude, your thinking is scary....
    Blizz has done their research (yeah?), they're knowing what they do...
    The Government has done their research, they're knowing what they do...
    The Police has done their research, they're knowing what they do...
    BP has done their research, they're knowing what they do...

stop thinking like that.
    Questioning things, within reason, is a GOOD thing! And you should never stop doing it just because a corporation/government was lucky enough to just not fuck up yet....
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I'm all for it. :thumbup:

Its a pretty bold idea that probably got thrown around quite a bit before actually solidifying and I doubt it would fly if it was a super-easy way for the entire blizzard community's identity stolen. I may be wrong about this but I assume they have people that are paid to think about stuff like this to potentially prevent law suits... but like i said, i may be wrong. :poly122:

But hopefully it'll bring down some of the jack-assery.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I put more faith into blizzard than the government, police, and especially bp lol.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I do think that accountability is an issue though. The zeitgeist now is that as long as it's on a computer screen, it doesn't really matter. The children of the 90s are growing up with that mentality, and unless something changes, it's just going to continue and get worse.

Love to see any amount of data supporting that there is some sort of negative effects caused by this "internet" mentality. Everytime I've seen someone try to bring this sort of thing up it's never backed up in the least (And is often contradicted by statistics).

It's what essentially amounts to some old fart yelling about "Them kids these days!", which is 99% of the time bullshit caused by people fearing and misunderstanding change combined with a nostalgic, light coloured, and fluffy ass view of the past.

Generally if you look at how the terrible, crime ridden, unempathetic, attention deficient, delinquent youth is doing these days, it seems to be better than it was in the past. Atleast based on the last statistics I saw, which may have been wrong or outdated I suppose (though somewhat doubt).

Also, I agree with what Ferg mentioned.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    dude, your thinking is scary....
    Blizz has done their research (yeah?), they're knowing what they do...
    The Government has done their research, they're knowing what they do...
    The Police has done their research, they're knowing what they do...
    BP has done their research, they're knowing what they do...

stop thinking like that.
    Questioning things, within reason, is a GOOD thing! And you should never stop doing it just because a corporation/government was lucky enough to just not fuck up yet....

I think you mistook me. I wasn't advocating a blind faith in anything, only that in this day and age, you can bet Blizzard's legal team has picked apart the decision for days on end. I only trust that Bliz has examined the issue to the point where they aren't putting people in harm's way to the extent they'll be liable. In this case, I think that probably works out best for everyone.

As for questioning the government, I've done the anti-establishment, slogan spraypainting, 'fuck the cops' liberal bit. I've got the 8" scar on my leg from the police gas canister during a 'peaceful' protest in Berkeley to prove it. :) To be honest though, I'm too tired and too busy to be bothered to question everything around me anymore. I usually reserve it for things that I consider important. Blizzard's bnet policy isn't it.
    Love to see any amount of data supporting that there is some sort of negative effects caused by this "internet" mentality. Everytime I've seen someone try to bring this sort of thing up it's never backed up in the least (And is often contradicted by statistics).

It's what essentially amounts to some old fart yelling about "Them kids these days!", which is 99% of the time bullshit caused by people fearing and misunderstanding change combined with a nostalgic, light coloured, and fluffy ass view of the past.

Generally if you look at how the terrible, crime ridden, unempathetic, attention deficient, delinquent youth is doing these days, it seems to be better than it was in the past. Atleast based on the last statistics I saw, which may have been wrong or outdated I suppose (though somewhat doubt).

I certainly don't have any statistics. As I said, it's just my opinion on the matter from personal experience. I do think it's pretty well accepted that the 'internet tough guy phenomenon' is pretty pervasive, and isn't isolated to kids. On the other hand, there's probably pretty good statistic for what you said (not that I trust statistics as being much of a measure of anything). Maybe kids do have better socialization than they did 20 years ago... I really don't know. I don't think I have a starry eyed view of the good ol' days or anything, my opinion is purely based on my own experiences. I'm not a particularly social person on the internet outside Polycount; I just remember playing WoW for awhile and the constant "I'll come to your house and kick your ass" stuff from every nerd with a laptop. Meh, it's all just opinion until someone does a decent study over a good period of time.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I don't understand people trying to be anonymous on the internet.

Handles, nicks, sign-in names are silly, when a google search will bring your stalker axe murderer to PC, and on PC you've linked to your portfolio (with your real names), which usually has a phone number, email address, postal address.

And if that won't do it, there's the domain registration details anyone can search for, that'll have all of the above in it, 9 times out of 10.

Then, before you know it, you're emailing them a keystroke recorder virus, you're befriending them, you're meeting them for coffee, you're ductaping thier hands and mouth and you're stuffing them into the back of your van...

I don't understand people trying to be anonymous on the internet.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    orrr, you could just not connect your forum name to your bnet name.... or just stay off the forums.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    orrr, you could just not connect your forum name to your bnet name.... or just stay off the forums.
    I will still hunt you dow...I mean.

Yes. Good advice.

(That means you end up with a BNet name, a forum name and a IRL name? Hassle!)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    that would be creepy...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Dude, Jesse, I thought we understood each other. You wouldn't tell anybody about me stalking you and I would in turn keep making cool shirts for your kids.
    Deal's off man. The deal, IS, OFF!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Then, before you know it, you're emailing them a keystroke recorder virus, you're befriending them, you're meeting them for coffee, you're ductaping thier hands and mouth and you're stuffing them into the back of your van...
    Goddamn that gave me a chubby... I didn't know you wrote erotica too Glynn.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Can't say I care. Still probably getting WOTLK and Cata. Never really bothered by internet anonymity, everyone can find out so much about everyone else if they REALLY want too.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    All joking aside, it's quite interesting to note that no-ones mentioned the issues this potentially cause for minors (under 13's in particular) posting on forums and how, with the introduction of this kind of enforcement, it puts the identity of *minors* at risk - not to mention the whole thing about minors playing 'inappropriate' games (because they're under-aged). Forced ID is a seriously nasty hornets nest that I'm surprised Blizzards lawyers haven't had heart-attacks over.

Lets just see how long this lasts before some parents cause some sensationalised headlines to appear about some kid in the US/China/Korea backtracking some foul mouthed tiddler for some real-time revenge.

Accountability is one thing, making it far to easy to track and trace is quite another.

@ glynnsmith: the difference between searching for that type of info and something like Real ID, is that the latter (Real ID et-al) is *verified data*, searching isn't because it pulls up hundreds of results you have to cross-reference, making the whole identity theft thing just that more time consuming. Not that I'd know or have done that *cough*
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    There will be parental controls to disallow minors from posting on the forums.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Goddamn that gave me a chubby... I didn't know you wrote erotica too Glynn.
    It puts the lotion on its skin, buddy!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I say NO WAY!

Even though I have a pretty common name, I don't see any benefit from this move at all.
    For the most part this will more than likely hinder people from being openly social video games and Face Book are two different things.

Because of this new move I am going to be hesitant to purchase (SCII+) from blizzard as this is definately something I do not want to promote in anyway shape or form.
    It's okay that some of you are okay with this and you don't see a problem with it now, but when you become a victim I am sure you'll be wishing you were against it or could have spoken out to do something about it (I am sure they lurk forums for feedback, or they're employees pass on the "there's another blizzard topic" to fellow co-workers).

I for one would enjoy not worrying about the psycho's hunting me down and or maybe waiting for my children or wife to come home before I do, that just doesn't really sit well with me, does that sound like fun to you? I don't think so.

I say some anonymity is better then none and crying about how someone trash talked you in a game is pretty low to even mention that they are hiding behind there alias, just sounds like you want to know who they are, but why? *psycho bell sounds*

I'd take trash talking over real life stalking anyday, this is from someone who rarely gets to play games, just FYI.

Posting on the forums is fine as I won't ever do it (so go crazy with that), but I am speaking more of the lines of future advances of this "idea" to display real names globally within games, I like my privacy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Eh, lets see where they go with this. I'm thinking this is all part of their plan to further integrate with facebook. Once blizzard titles combine with that socail juggernaut their games will sh*t even more money. It wouldn't surprise me to see friend updates in the near future with loot my buddies found in Diablo III among god only knows what else.