Home Technical Talk

Realistic Mowed Grass - ideas?

Okay, so I tried this in grit game engine and it was very, very, very slow:

(it really did look cool in motion, sitting still, not so much, also, we don't own that car, it's from some free model site our coder used it to draft some baby car classes, oh, and the corner of the pavement is rockstar's :x, no, we don't snatch, i just had it sitting around and didn't have any ref for sidewalks at the time, think: placeholder, also, batches are high because our text is 3d)
fuckyea_grass3.png

fuckyea_grass2.png

It is the old school shell/fur technique as seen in shadow of the colossus etc. Apparently, this is left behind since dx8 and it kills the fill rate very fast. Translation: cannot use. I want to have realistic, coverage style grass in our game engine, beyond flat-planes for ground with only the little tuft here and there. I want realistic grass so bad, it really holds me back to know that whatever I make has the potential to be really ugly flat planes, and if they did it on PS2 with animate colosi, how come I can't do it on my GTS 250? No matter, it looks like ass on hills etc and totally breaks smooth shading anyway. Anyone have experience working with realistic grass coverage??

Replies