Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT Female Character + BioRifle: WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Hey dudes,
Thought I would post my personal art WIP here for crits as I go. Haven't had a chance for personal art in the longest time, so I'm really pumped for this! :)

So... a few months ago I had the pleasure of speaking with Demond Rogers (an environment artist at Epic Games) at the Triangle Game Conference in Raleigh-Durham, NC. He's a really cool guy btw and extremely helpful. Anyway, he was nice enough to give me some critiques on my portfolio and suggestions for future projects.

Since I have always been a huge fan of Epic (who isn't) one Demond's suggestions was to make an Unreal style character and apply to Epic sometime in the near future. So there in lies my goal with the WIP. :) With that in mind, feel free to crit away!

Here is my progress so far...
My main reference (by Epic games):
UT_Concept.jpg

My Female References (Zoe Saldana from Avatar):
Zoe_Ref01.jpg

My Female Reference 2:
Zoe_Ref02.jpg

Bio Rifle Concept: (By Epic Games)
unreal-tournament-2007-tba-20070125113300225.jpg

My Concept Sculpt: (Mudbox 2011)
Keep in mind this is VERY rough, and I will be doing a proper high poly soon.
Unreal_PrintScreen03.jpg

Next up I'm going to paint over these images and create my own proper concept art.
And then I will attempt to quickly make my own variation of the Bio Rifle (the gun from UT3 which I blocked out and you can see her holding in my image above).

So I'll be making the concept art, character, and gun. I should have the concept art up soon!

Replies

• weirdy
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i can't see no pictures of said awesomenss
    i has a sad
    :(

this shit better start kicking ass dammit.... it better!
    dammmmmiiiitttttt!!!!!!!

btw... if you were a ship, you would be the millennium falcon, and remi would be han solo sayin', "hold together baby... hold together". hope you're feelin' better dude :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Sorry, Please let me know if you can see it now. I'm using dropbox, for uploading and I think the files were not public before. They should be now, but I haven't ever attempted to upload images via dropbox to forums before. So I have no idea if you guys will be able to see it or not.

Firebert: LOL
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    is that a bare bottom i see :D Id maybe make the nose and lips a little more subtle. If you can get the face close to the lady in yellow you cant go wrong :D
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    r_fletch_r: No she has REALLY tight spandex like pants on there.
    If you can get the face close to the lady in yellow you cant go wrong

Yeah, I'm going to play with the face some more. Not done with that yet by a long shot. But I'm with you man! :)
  • achillesian
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, this is look pretty good so far. Can't really crit on the armor and such, it does look like it came straight out of Unreal Tournament 3 though, so that's ace.

just avoid the "thrown into a sandpaper machine right after production" look most of the UT 3 stuff has when it comes to textures and damage. Having a good mix between UT 2004 and UT 3 would be pretty cool.
    Anyway that's for later, thread bookmarked :)
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Holy shit didnt know Zoe had such a nice rack :/

Anyhooo, model is looking crazy awesome. The face looks awesome.
    What you need:-
    Bigger shoulder pad thinggiez
    Bigger boots and
    Bigger breasts....

Looking forward to the concept
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Archillesian: Thanks!

Skamberin: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about avoiding too much grunge/noise. I def. want it to look like it would fit right into Unreal tournament, but I'm going to be extra careful about that. Thanks for the encouragement.

butt_sahib: Heh heh, I'll play around with the size of stuff based on your crits. I was actually avoiding going overboard with the size of the boots and shoulder pads and boobs. The breasts are actually insanely large as is lol. I sort of feel like the female characters in unreal tournament look off having such large shoulder pads and stuff, and I chalk it up to the skeleton they use. Never too late to play around with these things tho. Thanks for the kind words.

I posted this here but I figured I would keep this thread updated with my progress also: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014&page=41

How do you guys think I should approach this.

I'm doing a BioRifle Re-make from Unreal Tournament 3. You will notice I am doing a bit of a mix between Epic's concept and final Game ready BioRifle.

I'm attempting to do the hardest part first, which is the body shown here. I have already tried to make cuts and stuff where I want them, its just nearly impossible to keep the body smooth like I want it (when modeling the cuts in that is) due to the curved surface I am dealing with.

I would like to avoid floaters for the most part, but if I have to use them I will (on the little holes and stuff I figured I would use floaters.)

So I'm thinking about using a couple different methods.

- Sculpt the details in with a lazy mouse on a highly subdivided mesh.

- Model what I can, and use floaters on the rest

- Detach parts (create more separate objects)and model what I can.

Here is the block out:

BioRifleBlockout01.jpg

Here is the WIP sub-d:

BioRifleHP_Help01.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    you just made the whole Epic part up so you could sculpt a naked Zoe and play dress-up, admit it.

seriously though, this is looking very good so far, will wait for more pics before critting the character, but for the gun I would think mixing options 2 and 3 would be the best way to go.

and I guess when a guy at epic tells you to apply you must be on the right track ;)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    omg epic games concepts are always 'epic'...cant wait for see some more work!...

and adding some UT99 vibe would make it awesome i think...
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looking epic Brad,

I thought I saw bare bottoms too, perhaps work on some cloth stitches and folds where they're supposed to be, if she's wearing some tight spandex material like mentioned earlier I guess her bum would appear a little rounder.

Any chance to give her the dreads?
  • woogity
    Definatly be following this one Brad. Been a while since you posted a wip if im not mistaken.

Looking nice, one thing i think you could do to improve it a little bit is extend her lower legs, what you have now is proportionally correct as far as i can tell from what you have, but with boots that size she might look more womanly with some longer legs, just a thought. also id say tone the nose down a bit if you want it to match Zoe closer.

great work on the rifle by the way it looks awesome.:thumbup::thumbup:

-Woog
  • woogity
    you just made the whole Epic part up so you could sculpt a naked Zoe and play dress-up, admit it.

agreed...
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    fantastic already. Go go go now :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    ScudzAlmighty, igi, roosterMAP, disanski: Heh, heh thanks guys!

Pilang: I think I'm going with the extensions look. Hopefully the concept art makes what I'm going for more clear. :)

Woogity: yeah, been a while since I have had time for personal art, and still I'm finding it tough to make time to work on this. On a positive note, it's because I have been doing really well with freelance, so I can't complain. Thanks dude, glad to see your watching!

Sorry, no big update here really, just worked on some concept art yesterday. Its really not much different from the original concept art, but it helped me figure out the proportions some more, and I made some minor changes to the design.
    I'm not really a concept artist, and I know I made some mistakes with the way I painted the lighting. So feel free to crit away. :)

ConceptArt_UT02.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think the model looks great, but i do think the ass could do with more love...something like some cloth webbing to tie the cheeks together, right now she looks like she's baring all (which isn't a bad thing, just looks odd) Dig the art too!
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I can't really suggest anything specific but I'd like to see a little more colour variation on her getup. I know you're going for the same look as the "Iron something" folk from UT3 but I'd be better if your broke up the yellow a bit, maybe use a bit more of the dark brown on larger parts of the outfit. Right now I'd be unable to identify her as "Her" when playing the game for instance, it's just be "another person from that team". I'm sure you can make the entire character a little more instantly recognizable without sacrificing the look that makes her belong with the rest of her Team.

I am loving the leather and thread look though and you get extra cool points for not going overboard with glowy bits :)

Great stuff so far Brad, keep it up! :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    nice work so far Brad. Can't wait to see how this progresses more.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    This is going to be great, I just know it.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    katana: I agree with you about the ass. I'm gonna def. add a strap or something I think. Thanks!

Skamberin: yeah, I think your right about the color. When I get to texturing I'm gonna def. work that out.

Jesse Moody: Thanks man!

kaoticvisions: ha ha, hope to not disappoint. :)

Well it's been ages since my last update. I got a job at Escalation Studios and I have just been spending my time trying to prove myself over there, so the personal art took a back seat. But I'm gonna try and finish this up here. TBH, it will probably take a while tho.

Thanks for the crits guys, here's the High Poly Bio Rifle.

BioRifle_HP_Renders.jpg
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    holy shit, Brad.
  • zxcman
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10