Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Brick Floor

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kuki polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycounters, this is my first thread. I just finished a tile of an environment for a commisioned project. It's my first attempt at creating a tileable next-gen floor. Workflow (tile photo reference - Maya mid-poly - zbrush - maya - texturing)

Here is the textures and the final result, a screengrab from maya (using IcUberShader from Leo Covarrubias) with only normal maps. I am also planning to add a parallax map...

I'd like to have some feedbacks and maybe some advices. :)

medievaltile.jpgfloorv.jpg

Replies

• duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this rendered in UDK ??? because your normal map needs to be bumped up...

and your specular map has too much white in it my opinion.. my opinion...
  • rescale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rescale polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Kuki,

welcome to Polycount. Your texture is looks nice so far but I guess you can achieve a better result by spend some more time to rework the textures. As Duxun says, the normal map is to less and should be much stronger, should be look better if the stones comes much more out. To the specular... You should not only desaturate the diffuse map and change a bit the brightness/contrast. There is more work needed. Try to define the edges, bring up some highlights and darken up the rest... make a small overpaint, maybe it helps you...

41cu1fx5_Overpaint2.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    WAAY WAY WAYY too much specular map dude. rock has nearly no specular unless its wet. (bits of sand and such still glow a little bit) but turn it dooown, its hurting your material definition
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    you spec looks like a tweaked version of your diffuse...bad...white areas of rock are often more chalky- therefore more diffuse than dark smoothed parts that only look bright through specular...add a multiply layer and mask it with the lightest part of you texture then re-level the whole thing......and also add a few multiplied noise so the brightest areas are speckally (is that a word?)
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the crits, much appreciated. Thanks Rescale for the useful overpaint, I followed your advices. To Shepeiro : could you show me a little example of your sopecular map workflow as described, I can provide psd if needed. :)

This is a fast rework, just a maya screengrab with IcUberShader default settings. Light setting's not so useful to show up the specular details, anyway I think it's better than before.

rework.jpg