Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jesse Moody - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Finally got around to updating my site. Still missing tons of content but this is what I added last night.

Most of the stuff is from Singularity. Still have more to add from other games and projects as soon as I can render stuff out or get some screen shots.

http://www.artbyjessemoody.com/

If you find any bugs or issues post em here so I can work em out.

Thanks and I hope you like everything.

Also some people click on the link to go to my blog and have checked out the stuff but that is where I have been putting all my wips lately and stuff i'm playing with / testing out. Hoping to finish that stuff up and add it to the personal art section very soon.

http://jessemoody.blogspot.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    When clicking on thumbs I always have to hit back to go to the next image. A Next/Previous buttons would be great for quickly browsing your work.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Use the arrow keys Chris!

This stuff is fantastic man, thanks for sharing- this is what an environment artist folio should look like.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed, some very clean, well-presented work there, Jesse. Love the old-school consoles - nice to see some good old analogue readouts, dials and honest-to-God valve wheels after all this futuristic stuff! Have to admit, I wanted a previous / next button, too - didn't occur to me to use the arrow keys.

And not trying to blow smoke, but that type of pistol was my favorite in Borderlands. Very clean, and noticeably nice mesh flow on some tricky shapes. It'd be nice to see wires of the Singularity stuff, too - always great to see nice, efficient wireframes.

Top stuff.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    no lowpoly/texture love? :( Anyway, i like it. Lots of pictures. Little clicking. What a foliosite should be about :] Looks great :)
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Snefer wrote: »
    no lowpoly/texture love? :(

I kinda agree, was hoping to see some low-poly/Texture work. But the high-poly stuff looks amazing great job!
  • LlamaJuice
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    All this singularity love is making me happy, and encouraging me to go buy the game.

It's times like this that I wish I wasn't broke haha.

Great work sir, the only thing that I would like to see is some WIRES!
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    the site is solid man. clean, well presented, and like others have said, a navigation menu would be somewhat a plus though i don't think it hurts you by not having one. everything loads really fast though, but i would consider making the header a weeeeeee bit smaller? takes up too much screen space after add in all the other browser nonsense on top of it. just shrink it down a bit in height. this will also make you seem a little more reserved and not so IN-YO-FACE-AH! i do like how everything is really aligned nicely with the links, so i don't know how this will throw off your spacing by shrinking it down, but it is worth playing with IMO.

content is solid, but yes, wires are a must :P

not gonna really crit much on the content until you put the rest of it up though. i wanna see this bad boi in all its glory!
  • bounchfx
    MOOOOODAWWWGGGG.

hey man, looks good. Did you guys have texture artists at Raven? like, partner up, you just model, they just texture?

sweet stuff!
  • duxun
    amazing work jesse !!!
  • Insomnia Monkey
    Awesome work Jesse! Can't wait to see what else you put up on your website.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Awesome! Love the site design. I like the idea of fadding the thumbnails but at times it just looks a little off to me.

You could chalk this up to personal taste though. But I think it might be cool to make the fade on these more grungey and less perfect radial gradient.

You know I'm a big fan of your work here, I only wish you had that textured industrial building that we talked about yesterday. That was one of my favorites!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Clean and Clear. Thats the best thing you can aim for with a portfolio site.

I would make the gun your first link though because its easily your best piece, it contains the largest amount of unique primitives and scale/ detail level contrast.

The other stuff has its charms but its all the same style, someone could get to the 4the 4th image for example, assume the rest will be the same and shut it down and move on to the next resume.

That would cost you, because your big gun is at the end of the table of links.

Needs a lot more personal art, you need to show you can stretch and professionally switch gears with a couple of different styles, 1 of them should be more mass market and 1 of them should be more of 'you' but expanded across a wider variety of object types.

I think there needs to be materials other than metal in your resume also, its very helpful to tip your hat to the other materials such as wood, concrete, tile, rubber.... just to show you can.

Looking back I see now you mention there are more images to come and I see on your blog spot there are a couple of rock pieces, it would be worth swapping the stairs out for instance with one of the weaker metal designs that are all in the same theme.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The reason I say mass market is because a lot of people dont think steampunk ish art is cool anymore, some love it, but it doesn't reach as many people. The look of your new scifi corridor scene might be a winner, but it needs so more bold forms to break up the plain walls. Plain walls, panelled interiors are very much a staple, but its got to be looked upon as stepping stone toward your own twist being put on the theme.

Even some 64 unit x axis extrusion sided pillars with a generous front chamfering so you mix in some more rounded forms to make the scene a little more chunky and impart the idea that theres a real support structure there.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    First off thanks to everyone for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. It has been a long time coming for a site update and some new content. It seems to take forever to render everything, format it and get it updated but hopefully it will all be up soon.

Cholden - Yeah I thought about using lightbox and just having it be able to scroll through everything which might be a lot nicer in the end so I am going to look into getting that implemented which would def keep the clicking down a bit.

Snefer - Yeah I have some of the low poly work saved some where I think and will get those updated if possible. As far as texturing goes I didn't do much since Raven had dedicated texture artists so it was kinda make high poly loving, low poly, bake and ship it off to be painted.

Firebert - Oh yeah that header is huge. Will be working on that tonight probably.

Wireframes. I'll get some screenshots of these high poly models with some wires on them.

Kevin - Gun already moved to the first link now. Totally hear ya on the show other materials. Going to format the layout of those stairs I did, get some better renders and add them in.

The environment suggestions were ace. I have plans to do a lot more with this in terms of design stuff to try and spice it up so your suggestions on that are great and will add a lot to it I think.

Again thank you to everyone for all the comments and feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Now time to render...
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    First off I love what you've done with the place :-)

Nicely layed out with ease and accessibility. Ace job.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Always liked your work!

:D
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Tons of nice work!!! But dude, wtf is up with the weird ass gradients on the thumbnails?For a moment there i thought my screen broke. Then i saw your cool artwork...but still! those thumbnails!
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there.. Very clean hard surface work dude. The only part I dont like was mentioned already - the fade off could be a bit strong at the moment- you cant really see what are you clicking on.... the rest is just fantastic :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok content update done for the night. Some things added to the professional area and some new renders / pieces were added under some of the other tabs / set pieces that already existed.

Also added some things to the personal area.

Fixed the fade on the thumb nails.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback. I did find some low polys and my bakes so I'll try and get those posted over the weekend along with wires.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    lightbox can eat a fat nut, write that code legit, for real. serious. I know about you, I know the real deal. yea, that's right, I'm on to you, lol, j/k
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Awwwwww man! You beat me to it! I was SOOOOOO working on that quake pistol... if I wasn't involved in what I am now, it would already be in my folio.... dddddaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!

header looks much better :)

Yeah there needs to just be some more variation on the rest of the content. The rock stairs are good for mixing it up, but what will help you most IMO is a small complete scene with modular assets... for instance, the one that is in your personal section that is a completed static (looks like a tower observation unit), a few more pieces like that with a couple other do dads and create a simple bsp environment for them to fit in with a few modular sections to build up other smaller pieces. this one asset itself feels like it has the potential to show you can tackle various styles by meshing a couple of them together, but this is tricky because you don't want it to be a mish mash and make them think you can't stick to a clear theme. i dunno, give it some thought. just an idea. my main point is you need one or two well documented pieces that clearly display your UE/UDK abilities. I'm talking about using statics with bsp, texture sheets for both with material networks and clear display of modular workflows. show you can be creative in both areas of art and tech. just MPO though since I am still an outsider looking in.... so these are all things i would just consider.... i'll shutup now.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great! Love the changes you made. Personally I can't stand lightbox or any kind of loading images for that matter. I actually find the navigation to be really solid as is, and wouldn't change it at all if I were you. If you really want less clicks then do the all images on one page setup, but honestly I think what you have here works quite well. Congrats, and thanks for posting more personal art! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    I really like the changes and updates.

I think you should probably reword the description of your UE3 tutorial. It's kind of dated now that UDK is out and not really a series yet...
  • Grey
    Wow, new updates after you pinged me yesterday, looks awesome! Glad to see all your personal stuff up man! And I noticed i wasnt the only one to think your pistol should be the first image :P
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You have to much grey on your web site. Do your renders have to be that color? Be original and pick something else dude.

Art work is pretty cool though. Nice stuff mate!
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Jesse,

I got one little critique this piece right here:http://www.artbyjessemoody.com/images2/mech_arach.jpg

This in my opinion is your worst piece and doesn't match up to the rest of the pieces in your portfolio, to be totally honest it looks like a complete different artist made it.

other than that everything else is top notch!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah AE... I think I tend to agree with ya. You mean the whole robot in general right?
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah AE... I think I tend to agree with ya. You mean the whole robot in general right?

Hey Jesse,

Yeah i mean the whole robot in general, Hope to see more of your low-poly stuff soon.

Cheers,

Arman
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    You have to much grey on your web site. Do your renders have to be that color? Be original and pick something else dude.

Art work is pretty cool though. Nice stuff mate!

I agree. Sorry it took so long to fix.

NOW WITH TEXTURES!!!

All art work is mine unless stated otherwise in the top left of the images...

ex. (enviros that were built with pre existing assets. "SET DRESSING")

Enjoy
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    Hey Jesse,

Yeah i mean the whole robot in general, Hope to see more of your low-poly stuff soon.

Cheers,

Arman

Robots gone!!!
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking way better buddy!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Jesse didn't you fix the super tiny trigger & guard on this gun? If I remember right you even started up on the low and diffuse?

My favorite pieces have to be your singularity stuff and the rock steps, looks like a tabletop model :D

(and a lot more color around the site now too....:thumbup:)
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh Grimm.. yes indeed you are right. Will need to get updated renders on that guy posted.

Need to texture (finish) that gun and the borderlands gun that i started. :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Changes are really nice man. Great job on updating the site. More tutorials though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffro: Yeah I need to take down the old ones and work on some new ones for sure. Hopefully that will be changing in the very near future.

Lots of stuff that could be posted up for tech / tutorials section.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    You've got some great work there, Jesse! Really nice, clean modeling, and I like seeing more textures up on your objects (even if they aren't all yours). Good stuff.
  • nick2730
    NICE!. I was just playing borderlands yesterday as a hunter. Those pistol designs make me laugh with the giant knife at bottom lol
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Yeah Nick that big giant knife would not be practical but then again carrying around a giant rocket launcher and such isn't either :)

Added a couple more things to the personal art section..

http://www.artbyjessemoody.com
  • duxun
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Here's my diary of watching your portfolio.
    I kinda tend to get sooo extensive on this that people seem to get annoyed by it a lot, but I just continue doing it, maybe it can help you :)

Just don't take it as insulting or anything negative - sometimes I think the forum just doesn't deliever my words as nicely as I would like them to :D

The biggest letdown for me is the seemingly randomless of the structure.
    In the first row I open up:
    - A gun that I thought I remembered you did as an hommage to borderland - but I'm unsure, because it says "Professional", so maybe you DID contribute that model to the project ? You know what I mean, it's 4 renders from slightly different angles, huge in size, yet I can't find a single line of info in what way this model was embedded in a gearbox game.

- Next comes the flagbase. Seriously I opened up that section 10 times now before I understood what this all is about. I thought it was 3 different models at first, because it was broken up into these different screenshots instead of having it on 1-2 pictures alltogether. Also there's 2 huge images of the energyball which only difference is the popped out arms left and right. I didn't see it until I took it into close inspection.

- Helicopter is nicely shown. Though still I wonder if you could choose 1 of each destroy state and mix it into 1 image. In the end the model is slightly changed and I don't know if you need 2 angles of each version. Also why don't you show the untextured version/hipoly of the model ?
    Just now I noticed you didn't do the textures of the helicopter.

- Singularity Environments. These are great, didn't know you were doing these kind of things. I wish it was a bit better image quality, but oh well :)
    Yet I'm asking why is this placed right inbetween props/models/assets

- Again the consoles show mostly the work of other artists, whereas the work you did comes on the bottom. Also it's just too many huuge images for me to look at. I mean, from my understanding of the images it's supposed to be highly modular consoles, which again could be shown in one screenshot, I'm sure about that.

Now follow the same assets again. I didn't realize it was still the professional section. Not because it was not as good as the rest, but just because it was some deja-vu-collection. Consoles and technical stuff again. I really would suggest you decided which pieces of all the console stuff you think are best and place the stuff you did all on your own at first. The knife, the energytower, the road barrier - these should shine. Not the texturework of other artists, don't you think ?

Many things apply to your Personal section as well.
    - You've got the awesome icecream scene that looks brilliant :D
    Out of a sudden there comes a wireframe screenshot that you didn't include apart from the gun model so far.
    - Then comes the tent: Textured, Wireframe, Hipoly
    - The scifi-tower: Hipoly, Textured, No Wireframe
    - The control panel: Textured, Hipoly
    - The power unit: Textured, Hipoly

- Then there's a nicely sculpted stair thing and another sci-fi-pistol untextured.

Please, don't get me wrong, I read the thread and you already said you will keep the site updated and add new stuff and all that, which I'm already looking forward to, I just wanted to point out in a totally needlessly long essay that I have the feeling you can take your portfolio to a whole other level.

If you think about a logical arrangement that is featured between every piece you show, your work can really shine. Sure if you don't have textures to show, you can't do anything about it. But the breakdowns could need a better arrangement. Also the thumbnails are not too well used, in my opinion, they're huge (I'd say by 50%) to me. Not the actual size, but what you put into the frame, i mean.
    Also I'd rethink giving other artists so much space on your own portfolio. There must be some better way to show your work and still incorporate the finished textured piece.
    And in the end I think you should select the work more precisely. Some stuff just isn't as exciting as the rest. And huge pictures of rather flat and clean highpoly models are maybe not too convincing in the end.

While I wrote all that nonsense I also made a little mockup of what I was talking about. I also took some renders and kinda put them closer together so less image space is wasted and the objects are in the center of the view. I just tried to illustrate - please forgive me :)

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/paintovers/moody_portfolio_mockup.jpg

I'm really thrilled to see what your next additions to the portfolio will be. Let us know, what you come up with ! Been a great fan of your work for a long time :)
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    acumen : while agree with your WoT and you raise some valid points, I really don't think your mockup will do any good to his portfolio, it looks super messy and unorganized, unaligned, etc, if he were to redo the form of his folio, I'd rather see him do something like kolby jukes's portoflio for instance, or 3point studios folio (not advertising, just that 3points portfolio is perfectly organized and to the point)
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Guess I should have mentioned that the lower pictures are not supposed to be there. I just put them in to show the actual size of them. Not meaning they should stay there on the portfolio. Only the 6 upper pictures should be on there :)
    Which accidentally doesn't look too different to the way you have organized your portfolio.

I just updated the picture for clarification :)

http://www.acumen-design.de/projects/paintovers/moody_portfolio_mockup.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The most important thing to fix is your thumbnails. What the hell are these things?
    techconsole3_thumb.jpgtechconsole2_thumb.jpgscifi_pistol_thumb.jpg
    All I see are techy greeble doohickeys, not inviting to click. How about this instead?
    Thumbs_JesseMoody.png
    Gives more clarity about the asset (I had no idea that grey thing was a gun, I expected a wall panel or something). It also looks a lot more crisp, especially the left one that suffers from blurry jaggies.

Then, after the thumbs lure me to the asset pages, give me concise info on the work. You're giving a lot of images but relatively little info, lots of the same:
    Details_JesseMoody.png
    You're also missing information such as wireframes, texture flats, and polycounts.

Another thing I'd like to say is remove a lot of thumbnails from singularity. Currently 14 out of 17 thumbnails are for one game. Here's what I'd do:
    -1 page with enviro screenshots
    -1 page with analog consoles, you can add techconsole4 and agedcatwalk to this if you want -> these are your modular sets
    -1 page with random assets, here go the remaining consoles, chopper, knife, generator(?) and the gate

Which would balance things out a bit. Of course, it'd be even better if you could get some more content for the other games.

More on the thumbnails:
    -how about a logo showing which game it is
    -maybe some text explaining what type of asset
    -agree with acumen, see if landscape might work better
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'm not really looking to revamp my site right now. It's up. It works. It is easy to add content to and it's easy to navigate.

As for Wireframes, Texture flats and polycounts. I have some that show this stuff. I don't have access to every asset any longer so it is what it is.

There are game logos on every asset / screenshot for each item that required it. I really don't want to add logos to the thumbnails as well creating chaos all over my front page. If someone wants to know where that asset is from it shows it right on it's page.

Some images I'm sure could be condensed or resized but I really don't think it would make a HUGE difference as to justify the time sink on it right now.

I tend to do 2-3 major updates every year so perhaps on the next one I will make some changes.

Again thanks for the feedback guys...
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with what vahl and Snader said. all valid points, and next site update def incorporate some of that stuff. Overall, really inspiring stuff Jesse! My 2 fav pieces are the pimped up revolver and the helicopter :) Keep up the good work!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made some changes.

-Put the personal art on top.
    -Made smaller thumbnails

More changes coming soon.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Jesse, your portfolio link is taking me to

"http://www.polycount.com/forum/www.artbyjessemoody.com"

instead of just "www.artbyjessemoody.com"

looking forward to more stuff :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made some changes.

-Put the personal art on top.
    -Made smaller thumbnails

More changes coming soon.

Weird. No idea how that happened but it is fixed now.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Resurrecting this. It's 2012 and time for some updates...

So taking what a lot of people have said here and going to slowly incorporate that into the layout updates.

Also added a few new things...

http://artbyjessemoody.com/
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    loving the gunblade-sixshooter thing.