Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tera Fanart Project

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, just thought I'd share some of this little fanart project I've been doing. It's all art based off of the unreleased MMO Tera. It's still a massive work in progress, but it's finally starting to come together. I'm hoping to throw this into my portfolio once it is completed. Let me know what you think!

tera4.jpg
tera3h.jpg
tera2z.jpg
tera1x.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool. There is definitely a lot of room to improve here. So here are my crits:

1. The terrain is uninteresting, the hills in the background are cool, but there is no change in texture, the ground in the town itself appears very flat, maybe add a little bit of elevation change. For the textures, maybe add something different to the hills, like splotches of dirt or something. Also, the houses wouldn't have nice perfect grass in front of them, lots of people walk in and out, so maybe there is some dirt around there as well. You started adding some flowers and grass sprouts here and there, but go nuts with it, right now they are just spread around in a random order...have tall grass near places that don't get trimmed when the grass gets cut...places like the edge of the house, along the walls, around trees...or patches in areas that aren't inhabited much.

2. The wooden fence doesn't fit in with the rest of the scene. The wooden fence is really nice looking, but it makes me feel like this is a fort, not a cute little town.

3. Trees...the leaves have to be redone...the vegetation planes are just too thick right now, and it makes it obvious exactly how they were made. (actually, they may be better up close but mipping is really killing them) Also, you need many, many more planes to really make the trees feel like they are covered with leaves.

I know you may be aware of a few of these things since its still early.

That is all I have for now. keep it up!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Good start. A few quick things I noticed:
    - AO is way too strong.
    - Contrast between direct sunlight and ambient sky light is too strong, resulting in sun shadows being too dark. Make sure you are adding ambient sky light through the World Properties > Lightmass > Environment Color and Environment Intensity values.
    - The scale of the details on the white plaster material is too big compared to other materials.
    - Repeating details on the big vertical logs of the pointy log walls are very noticeable, consider detaching those logs and rotating them around Z randomly per instance to hide this better.