Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK First environment: Sci-fi train station

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Hey all! :)

I've decided to try my hand at doing an environment. I've decided to use this concept art by Aaron Foster (RazorB, used with permission):

JWet8.jpg

I began this tonight, and so far I've just done a very very basic blockout in UDK using BSP and some meshes that come with UDK:

Note nothing here will be used in final, it's all for mesurement and guides for max

6cDos.png

I wanted to get the scale correct right off the bat, and also keep it all on the grid, as I want to have these pieces as a useable set and modular. Hopefully with planning everything will fit nicely onto a 32 unit grid or more.

I'm still very new to this sort of thing, although I know my way around UE3 pretty well, as far as creating assets from scratch I haven't really been consistant at all. So I figure an environment is the way to go to get a good workflow and develop good habits.

My next step will be creating the hipolys and pieces in Max. (I'm not usre which piece to begin with.. any suggestions from the experts would be welcome!) I'll be updating frequently so I hope this isn't too little content to show at the moment.. hehe.

the earlier I can get crits on my work the better, I really want to do my best for this, and get better.. isn't that why we're all here? I want to take advantage of the best part of this place, crits! comments! harsher the better.

Thanks for looking, will update asap, but bedtime now.

Simon

Replies

• ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Love that concept..it reminds me alot of dead space the monorail stations you always start at and end at. I really want to do a sci-fi piece but Im wrapped up in another project. Good start with doing the blockout, hope it all works out for you.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Very small update, having some normal map problems, they look kind of weird after being baked (as you can see, the platform edge meshes)

jGv1d.png
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Aaron Foster is the man with the plan.

Hard to say what could be wrong with your normals. Does the actual normal map look alright? Did you rebuild the lighting?

Good luck with the scene though, I wanted to do this one as well. I did one of Aaron's other concepts, hes got mad skillz.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Things can look a bit odd when you light modular assets like this in a relatively low-light environment. They'll look a bit better when they're textured. If you think you can get away with it adding another, differently coloured lightsource coming from a completely different direction could help to alleviate this. Perhaps some lights on the pillars?