Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Ralphie Agenar, (just want to break in)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
boyluya polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I'm in my final year in my university and I'm planning to apply as an artist in a local outsourcing game company that works mainly with current/next-gen assets. Well, I'd just want to break into the industry before I graduated so it would be easier to find a job after graduation. Do you think I'm ready to break in?

Here's my works!

http://boyluya.blogspot.com/

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good enough to get you in the door in my opinion, just gotta be at the right place at the right time.

I think you should pull the shot showing the back anatomy of that guy with the backpack. Anatomy's one of those things people will focus on and judge your entire portfolio down if they see imperfections.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good enough to get you a job IMHO. and nicely presented.

I would second the human character's back muscles being a little distracting though. The stylisation is fine but it doesn't feel like they really make sense. Even just softening the borders of the muscles would help I think.

But yeah, fantastic portfolio for finishing Uni, I would imagine you are leagues ahead of many of your fellows.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Have to agree with the guys about the character as well. I would be tempted to take him off all together. Why even show somthing like that which will bring you down, when you have such awesome non-organic work?

Take X-Convict for example: http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/gallery.htm

This guy's work is simply awesome! No other way of putting it. I'm sure he has played around with character design as well, but of course it would be a bad idea for him to put that on his portfolio when his hard surface is that good. Point being, if your specilty is that good, no reason to show other areas.

BTW, I think your work is def. good enough to get a job. If nothing else you could work freelance for a while to get experience there. Good luck man, and dude; for a guy about to graduate in a year... you are way ahead of the curve. Congrats!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    rocksolid stuff. Very nice!

I agree about the character though...
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah fantastic hard surface work for someone without an industry experience yet

i think you should make a more simplified portfolio where thumbnails of your art is the main thing on show, maybe like www.fx81.com

and I'd just drop the character model imo, it's not adding anything, if anything, it's taking away

cool stuff!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    nice work! i'm with everyone else on the character.
    the only thing i would suggest is making some modular stuff, simple statics, and create a small enviro so you can display that you have a good understanding of a modular workflow. really really great though dude. maybe even a couple things with foliage in there to show you can do that as well. it's obvious you can do tech hard surface. maybe some natural stuff or mixture of both. again, really nice man.

as far as folio presentation, this works fine for now IMO. worry about making more good content, then worry about getting a site of your own with a domain and creating a web page the way you really want it to look.

good luck dude, you show a lot of serious potential here :)
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really loving all your work, especially the guns. If I may ask, what is your material/render set up? It really looks nice.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    charater model at the bottom needs to go. the rest iks amazing.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome stuff, i always liked that one big ass tractor thing you did. Im gonna have to back up the simplified folder. The see if u can have something where the main focus is your art work. Description should be fine, but let your work and layout sheets speak for themselves.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great selection of work you have, im a big fan of those sci-fi weapons, looks very professional. I must agree with others that it might be in your best interests to remove the character. Good luck.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the response guys!

Is the character really that bad? Well I just placed it there to show that I'm a bit capable of some character work and you know, everyone wants to make characters. But if it is really that bad, I'll take it away.

Brad: Thanks dude, glad to know you're already ok.

Moosey: I just use max real-time shaders (xoliul and 3point) with 3-light setup and marmoset. In UDK, I looked up how the material was setup for those vehicles and study them, just trying to get logic behind it, then I come up with my own material setup.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Is the character really that bad?
    I think it's rare to find such a strong consensus on something that should be removed from a portfolio, but you really shouldn't feel bad about it. I agree, I think it should be taken out but I'm sure you learned from it so I don't think you should consider the time wasted.

You're way ahead of most people a year from graduation, so you should see where your current hard surface stuff gets you and spend some serious time learning character stuff if it's something you really want to do.

As far as the hard surface stuff goes, I'd say the next big step is picking something with complicated surface changes and forms. Your stuff now is good, but most of it is pretty standard shape-wise. Lots of boxy and cylindrical shapes and insets. That's great for learning the technical aspects of hard surface modeling, but switching to something curvy would be the best thing to help you level up. Doesn't have to be a car, but some kind of vehicle, armor, robot, or whatever else that fits the bill would be great to round your hard surface stuff off, I think!

Great work and good luck! :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I would definitely agree that the characters are not your strong suite. Everything else is outstanding, though. If you're looking to break into the industry, you're not going to have a problem. Shit, I've been doing this for 10yrs and you know much more about normal mapping than I do. I'm sure you'll land a gig wherever you try.

If I had to critique I'd say that some of your material definition could be improved, but otherwise it's solid work.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    very good stuff there, but agreeing on the character, best to get it out of the folio.

It's not a horrible character or anything, actually if the idea was to make a stylized character I think you did pretty well.

But that's also the main reason why it needs to go. It doesn't add anything to your portolio, skillwise it even looks like one of the weaker pieces even.

Have the folio focus on what you're good at, and that is guns and hardsurface stuff, which imo, are all very well executed. I think you'll kick that door wide open ;)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again guys. Ok I'll take that character away.
  • Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Hello boyluya,

This is some very good harf-surface modeling job. I'd say you have enough to get yourself a position at almost any game studio.

Good luck with the job hunt.