Home General Discussion

Competition for me?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
Lately, I've seen most competitions are aimed to character artists. Im an environment artist hoping to compete in some really sick competitions. U guys know of any good ones that are coming up, have recently started, or annual ones? What sites host these competitions most often?

Any chance of an official Polycount competition coming up? The valve one was a great start. I hope there will be others.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    The only one I know about is Unearthly and well, the results of last years are still not out but at least we've gotten a top 15 so far.

The next UC won't be until next year though so eh... maybe we can get some polycount love here? (Although polycount usually does love it's character artists... just a bit to much ;) )
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe we could get one going.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm going to make a detailed suggestion of something we could do when I'm back at home. I really think the community could benefit from some environment competitions because it's something that's really been lacking outside of Unearthly.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    A well-advertised and organized PC env contest would be damn sweet.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe now that the TF2 contest is over, something new will follow?
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some kind of movie scene competition could be sweet.....?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm think we should get a consistent routine of competitions going, say like one environment/scene contest every 3 months including the voting/judging period.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Yes yes yes! This would be mega rad! I think a theme that would be cool is something like.. "watercolors"..like to do environments that aren't the dystopia brown or apocalyptic grey. Scenes with nice colors and mirror a Miyazaki palette. But that's just me.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I'm think we should get a consistent routine of competitions going, say like one environment/scene contest every 3 months including the voting/judging period.

+1

Never realised it before but there's actually a buttload of enviro guys on pc.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Those damn character artists are stealing all our thunder... not to mention the babes.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to get involved in an environment contest, so count me in. I was still getting to grips with game art last UC so I missed out, but I think a contest would be a good experience and a lot of fun!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Let's let the LPC #3 finish its course then see if we can't cook something up for you.

It'd be a 'Challenge', though, and not a contest as we wouldn't have prizes/sponsors for you. We could leave the voting open for you to choose the winners.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    It'd be a 'Challenge', though, and not a contest as we wouldn't have prizes/sponsors for you. We could leave the voting open for you to choose the winners.

What I'd like about it is just the involvement and the kind of 'group motivation' associated with working towards something with a bit of a deadline to kick you up the ass!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    uuuhm, what? I don't follow..?

It's Monday, go slow.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    has to be real time, has to be playable download (udk or sandbox). ;)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I think he meant that he'd be more into the community spirit of a challenge, as opposed to the prizes of a contest.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what he means is that he doesn't care about prizes and such, just the ability to work and get constant feedback from other people entering. I completely agree because competitions, even without prizes, motivate me to work harder and push myself to meet the deadline.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly, I don't care about prizes to be honest, obviously free stuff is nice but just like Dan and Zipfinator said, community spirit and motivation to complete a project and work to a deadline along with getting a load of feedback is just as great.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, yes.

I like the idea of the contest being for UDK exclusively. 3 reasons:

1 - It's free.
    2 - It's real-time.
    3 - 'Winners' offer up their upk and udk files for download/observation/learning.

OK, let me get the team on this.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea of the contest being for UDK exclusively.

I'm in, to build something wacky.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I like a UDK scene idea a lot. Even better if it were annual!

Also, winner should have little tags under their avatar (like in cgtalk). Im not lookin for real prizes. Just recognition. Something good in the folio :)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Oh heck yes...I've already got what I want to make in my mind. I now need to know if I should wait to make it for this contest, or start now!

Let's make this thing real and get it going asap!

Especially with UDK ...perfect.
  • Danielw155
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds pretty awesome, would we be able to have teams Adam if this does happen. Im sure a buddy of mine would hook me up with a cool concept to work from.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It'll likely be loose as to who enters. We'd just give a theme, some limits, and an overall goal for your environment and tell you to 'go'. The idea here is that we challenge your skillset.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Weop.. I think for sure I am down for this one, and maybe my soon to be new roomie will be up to team-up for this!!!!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to help out planning if you need help once I get home tomorrow.

Also I think Source should be open for use too. Source has quite a large modding community and I know a lot of people who'd love to get into some competitions.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm more interested in Free solutions at this point, for something like this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I suppose the other thing we could do, instead of exclusively to UDK, is:

-Must be created for an engine: UDK, Source, Sandbox, etc.
    -Final presentation MUST be a video.

The environments won't be HUGE, in fact the triangle count will limit this quite well, so the videos won't be any large undertaking.

/brainstorm
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be cool as well to have something like a 'PROP' (it can be...a gun, a vehicle, a corridor, catapult, shuttle...etc ...in any given style) Challenge for those who can't afford the time that requires a whole environment. just sayin'...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't make it a 'whole' environment. Just a vertical slice of one.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back.

For a theme... how about 'New West'?

It's possibly a really bad idea but it's a little different.

What with all the excitement over RDR right now, and the mass of sci-fi inspired stuff we're seeing in P&P (my current project included) a crossover might be interesting. Some scope for some interesting looking props/buildings.

Like 'Neo West', an old west town that kept the majority of it's facade but with future technology and erm, other new fangled stuff.

Just a thought!

Geez, you can tell it's 1:30am here.

Night guys.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Digging the ideas so far, Adam. A little diorama of sorts, more of a realtime cut with standard game resolution than a carefully selected beauty shot, but without the workload of a full env.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think we should be discussing themes right now. If these are going to become consistent competitions we need to iron out a set of rules and such.

Also I think for the rules you should use Unearthly as a base/reference for texture budgets, triangle limits and stuff like that.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    sci fi hallway contest!
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris wrote: »
    sci fi hallway contest!

I second this wonderful idea
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Peris wrote: »
    sci fi hallway contest!
    Good idea, I need something to model around my wood crates!!:):)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't make it a 'whole' environment. Just a vertical slice of one.

haha,...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This HAS to happen. I've been looking around for something like this since I wasn't confident enough to participate in the last UC. I can say for sure that my roommate and I would join in on this, and I'm sure there would be plenty of others coming out of the woodwork for an environment challenge.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Could be cool!

Too busy myself to jump in with a side project i'm working on, but here's my suggestion for the competition:

Best prop category!

Not everyone has the time to finish a full environment or they realize half way it's just not going to work out and maybe they'd rather just polish up what they have, or maybe they collaborate with someone and they do really kick arse work on a couple little things but they don't place. If there's a best prop sub winner there's something to shoot for without having to worry about mastering the full range of environment art. Whatever rules and subject matter the environments have to fulfill, best prop has to as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sorry, I've been drinking so I can't read anyone's posts but:

polycountville 2.0 UDK edition, you build your shack fitting inside of a preset space for UDK.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like the way you think, Justin_Meisse, Its a good time to drink.

Oh and the polycountville idea sounds awesome/fun.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polycountville idea reminds me of an idea I had a few months ago. I wondered what it would be like if everyone on PC worked in an actual office building together. I brought up the idea to Adam, so I'll just copy and paste the PM I sent him in which I tried to explain my idea. I'm aware it probably doesn't make much sense outside of my own head. I'm not saying this should be for the environment challenge, but maybe a separate project somewhere down the line.

"I was inspired by the Polycount Stall thread, where everyone signs their name to the wall. What if, using UDK, we collectively built a virtual "Polycount Office". Everyone who wishes to participate will receive a 15x15 foot (or whatever size) office space that belongs to them. They can do whatever they would like within their office, whether it be build their dream office or just make it ridiculous. They could fill it with models they have previously done, or make all new models. Outside of each office will be a plaque on the wall with the members username. There could be separate floors for different levels of members. Members with 1-299 posts could be floor 1, 300-999 could be floor 2, 1000 posts and up could be floor 3, and admins could have their own floor.

The more skilled PC members could also be in charge of the hallways, stairs, and other layout features of the office. Every so often, a build of the level would be available for download, for members to run through.

Like I said, I don't know if this would be possible or not. Whoever organizes the project would have to put rules and regulations regarding the specs of each room and such. I'm also not sure how we would go about integrating all the work that everyone does into one single environment. That's why I'm running this by you before posting the idea, to see if this is even logically possible.

I just think it would be very entertaining to run through what you would envision the Polycount Office building to look like, and be able to view each member's personal office. It would also give members a chance to produce models, learn some of the engine, and show off their models in-game."
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I like the idea of incorporating everyone's work together in one large scene, but doing so in a super modular manner might kill the artistry. It's not too much fun working in a "box".

I really like the idea of making it UDK mandatory and having everyone share their assets and packages. When it's all over there are all kinds of possibilities for making 1 uber polycount scene by just merging everyone's scenes together.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How about everyone gets part of a giant map, (like a map in the shape of greentooth + randomized terran)?

The only problem would be people not finishing... maybe everyone just creates their own town (or teams/groups of people) and there's some size restrictions, but then we start throwing it all together once the contest is over?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    maze wrote: »
    haha,...

?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I suppose the other thing we could do, instead of exclusively to UDK, is:

-Must be created for an engine: UDK, Source, Sandbox, etc.
    -Final presentation MUST be a video.

The environments won't be HUGE, in fact the triangle count will limit this quite well, so the videos won't be any large undertaking.

/brainstorm

Might be cool to do some unity stuff, in browser maps you can explore.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe have a modular wall contest.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Dunno if the modular thing (everyone putting their work together) would work, what with people working with different art directions and such... team work would be good though.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    If you're looking for a quick 2D competition. There's the EOW (Environment of the Week) over at CA.org. No prizes. The standard of artwork is pretty good. I have a go now and again to when a brief catches my eye. You might be looking for something more substantial though.
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,

I just stumbled on this,

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/competition/2010/

probably not what (most of) you are looking for, since it is not needed to be realtime and you just submit and image, AND you need to make use of Vue (any version) in combination with anything you'd like.

It is i believe an annual competition and submission period has already started and is open till july 18th.

anyways, some of you might find this interesting ..