Home Technical Talk

Tutorial time: Modular sets

PhilipK
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
Hi there, I don't think I've ever posted anything I made here earlier. I'm a pretty long time lurker tho and it's great to have such an active forum to check out now and then :)

Anyhow I've made a tutorial. It's not done actually... I plan to make two versions of it actually... One basic, not indepth ideas on anything, and one more nerdy where I try and go into obstacles, workarounds and general ideas and techniques I've come across when working with modular units before.

The examples in this tutorial are extremely basic on purpose btw :) It's mostly to be able to show off the ideas I had easier (and a little bit because I feel lazy...)

This "first draft" I guess is something inbetween indepth stuff and basic not so indepth. I also need to go through the text and clean up weird sentences and stuff... I hope this may come in handy for some people at least.

You can find it here:

http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Loving those rocks :) Nice tutorial and btw how do you paint in ambient occlusion with vertex paint? Do you just generate a map and put a vertex blend material on the mesh?
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
    could you do me a massive favor, and make a rock tutorial? There are hundreds around, but none of them are for what i'm looking for. Yours looks pretty spot on.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Great that you brought that up. I'll add something about that in the tutorial as well.

In Max there's a utility called "Assign Vertex Colors", if you open that up you see you can goto your radiosity setup there. You run the radiosity bake and then press "Assign to selected" assuming you've got your mesh selected :) This can be a bit funky sometimes and the vertex colors won't be assigned... You can just reset the bake then and try again and it will usually work then.

In Maya I'm not sure, but there should be a similar way of doing this.

In the tutorial I was more referring to painting the "AO" by hand with just a vertex color modifier applied to your mesh (or just select the vertices and color them with the slider in edit poly mode)

Hope that helped :)
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you do me a massive favor, and make a rock tutorial? There are hundreds around, but none of them are for what i'm looking for. Yours looks pretty spot on.

Sounds like a plan. I'll see what I can put together. To just say the basics I have a similar workflow then, with the exception I usually start with creating some base texture and then go to the mesh splitting that up where I have seams and stuff in the texture. That way you can make sure to have a tiling texture/textures and still be able to create several different meshes with the same texture.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Loving those rocks :) Nice tutorial and btw how do you paint in ambient occlusion with vertex paint? Do you just generate a map and put a vertex blend material on the mesh?

I've added a page to the polycount wiki with a further breakdown of How to bake ambient occlusion into your vertex colors.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool, great tutorial! I can't wait for the nerdy version.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the tutorial. Learned a bunch from it. Great to see people sharing their workflows and tips!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, lots of stuff for people to learn there, and some great visual examples too. Thanks!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff man, thx for taking the time to do this!
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot people! It's really great to hear you find it useful!
    I'm gonna try and wrap this one up asap.

Maybe I'll try and move on to a more specific modular rock/nature workflow one after that. I read that vertex color wiki entry here too. Great stuff. I may do a quick tutorial where I go into some workflow I usually have when I mockup stuff using vertex colors as help, but describing the process of baking AO that entry did perfectly! :)
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Very slick tutorial! Hope to see more, learning a bunch :)
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks a lot for this, great timing for me too, as I'm about to embark on my first environment, hehe. This is exactly what I need to start thinking about :)

Thanks for taking the time and making this, i've already learned a bunch, cheers!

Awesome example assets btw
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Really great tutorial. Always love to see how other artists work.

Not to mention you have some great work in your folio. The texture examples down at the bottom of your portfolio are fantastic.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

ah I thought you were doing it in UDK :P Still nifty trick. Will have to try and see where Maya has it. Curse you computer for dying on me.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the examples, and the way they tell your story without words.

The funny thing is, more tutors they are, the more posts we'll get asking for them :P
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    This is fantastic Phil!
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks guys! I see this was mentioned on the front page even. Damn, I'm really surprised and happy about that :D (even tho the links seem a bit mixed up, the link to this goes to the second entry and the last two goes to the same page hehe)

Really need to wrap this one up now and start on the next tutorial... It seems rocks/nature modular stuff is on que.. I also got the idea to make a smaller brick/cobble photoshop tutorial and how I usually go about creating those without any modeling or sculpting involved (and how you can mix that with potential sculpting).
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK wrote: »
    Really need to wrap this one up now and start on the next tutorial... It seems rocks/nature modular stuff is on que.. I also got the idea to make a smaller brick/cobble photoshop tutorial and how I usually go about creating those without any modeling or sculpting involved (and how you can mix that with potential sculpting).

YES :thumbup: We need a hug emoticon :)
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    your work is so pro. thank you for such a great tutorial
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Great tutorial, the vertex colours for variation on tiling sets was a nice idea - can these be baked out to an exportable format for some games - say if you want to keep one asset in memory, but assign several different vertex colour variations throughout a map?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    JohnnySix: Many game engines allow vertex colours to be assigned to meshes inside the game level editor (eg. Unreal definitely can, id Tech definitely can, I'd imagine Source can too).

Not sure how much this helps with memory savings, since vertex colour is stored per vertex, but I would hope a clever engine will only store the vertex colour for multiple instances of the same mesh, instead of storing the whole mesh data for every different colouration. I might be wrong there though, I don't really know how that works.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Good point there, I'm actually not sure about how that works either.. In UEngine,
    if you make a a mesh and instance that and then starts painting vcolor on it... It'd be great if it could instance everything but the vertex color info somehow. Just like MoP said in a better way :P

Anyhow I'm wrapping up a (quite clean) scifi texture set that I'm going to release hopefully this weekend at least. It's basically a selection of loads of older textures I had laying around but that I've made a polish pass on just now. Gonna release it as a Source version and one pack with just the TGA's. I know pure texture sets may not be that useful anymore but I think they could actually be a base for some more simple meshes as well if anyone would like to do that.

After that I'm really going to do the rock/nature modular piece tutorial finally... I have several more tutorials in mind as well. I'll have to write down all ideas I got so they may eventually turn into something useful hopefully :S
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    MoP wrote: »
    JohnnySix: Many game engines allow vertex colours to be assigned to meshes inside the game level editor (eg. Unreal definitely can, id Tech definitely can, I'd imagine Source can too).

Not sure how much this helps with memory savings, since vertex colour is stored per vertex, but I would hope a clever engine will only store the vertex colour for multiple instances of the same mesh, instead of storing the whole mesh data for every different colouration. I might be wrong there though, I don't really know how that works.

Yeah, I saw in UT3 /UDK you can paint vertex colour,

Maybe some engines compress/ignore the 'unused' vetices, say if you only coloured a few choice sections.

The main thing is you're still saving texture space regardless, so you can resuse the same shader on multiple assets but get more milage with subtle vertex colour changes.

I'm guessing for the sharp edged sections you're using loops close together, in order not to have the colour bleed everywhere?
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    Any engine really taking advantage of vertex colours for this purpose would only store the vertex colours per instance. Just like baked vertex lighting is stored per instance while the actual mesh data is the same. And probably only storing a vertex colour channel if the mesh actually uses it.