Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Luchadore Low poly

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

So im now working on my final portfolio. This is the low-res model for the folio. Ive got more coming :/

Sp here it is:
2ztio0h.jpg

And the wire:
4v2qnc.jpg

The count is 1100 Tris (if i remember correctly).

The skin texture looks ok to me, but i dont think his suit is working...I really want this to be the best texture i can come up with and i need you guys' help!! :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey butt, ubering it up as always!

I'm actually digging the suit, I think if anything you need to create a buffer colour between the bright red and green because right now its sticking out too much (doesn't look "soft" ). Maybe add a darker red / burgundy line around the bright red line, or just de-saturate that red a little bit and it should read better.

I think when you add that belt colour (if my memory serves correctly, its pretty colourfull isn't it?) either way, the gold should help take some of the focus off the suit so it may fit in better.

Looking forward to more updates!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    I think there's a pretty noticeable seam where the arm connects to the torso
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yea the seam is one thing, better paint over it somehow
    the model is really cool, i like it. the forearms look short to me
    the texture is generally good, the skin surface has good detail and solid rendering. the knees have a gr8 touch of red i'd like to see implemented elsewhere as the shadows feel a little grey.
    the main problem is the suit - the colours/rendering doesn't work. it follows the body rendering closely but inconsistently. think about the base colour of it and compare the rendering on the torso/face vs the legs, where its predominantly lighter blueish. i think that reads better. if u replicated the legs rendering on the torso/face it'd be better.
    also i'd sugget getting rid of those pixelly stuff above his boot, and if that's a sock then reduce the dark shadows there (whatever it is - it doesn't read well)
    even more, there's room to add some designs on the front torso/legs in proportion to the face-mask designs.

and also - post the flats ;)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for replying! :D
    Thanks to my favourite polycounters (esp Zwebbie,Ruz and shotgun) and all they're help, I AM DONE :0D

Presentation
    syxfz8.jpg

Construction:
    243ex4g.jpg

I learned a shit load of things on this one :-)
    That shadow is just matte shadow projected onto a plane and used as a diffuse (inverted diffuse used as alpha)

jason:
    Thanks for checking me out buddy <3 mucho appreciatedo
    Added that burgundy line to buffer shit out...
    Hope you like the update/finals! :-D let me know :P

gibson:
    I usually fix the seams in the end. Hope you think its better now!

Shotgun:
    Thank you for replying <3
    I added the red to the fingers (i wanted to keep that at joints and wished i didnt have the elbows covered). I duplicated (tried) the style i had going for the legs to the torso area. Yeah that was a sock above his boot (it was a quick overlay) but i have fixed it now.
    I thought about adding more tats on his torso, but it hid away all the skin that i did alot of work on and wanted to show :P
    Posted the flats! :)

Thank you everyone :-D
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i actually meant tatoos on the torso outfit, like on the face mask...
    also i meant the rendering of the outfit on the torso/face not the skin of the torso/face (i said its too green). more visible on the flat, look at the leg outfit vs torso/face - see how much dark shading u've got on the upper part? make it like the leg and it will be ok.

but hey u said done so... w/e ;)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for explaining what you meant....
    I worked on it more thanks to you and your sexy paintover :P and i think its looking alot better. Its very important to really go in and define your materials. Learning alot :)
    I was really lazy before in not matching the face mask with the rest of the body.
    Fixed some other things aswel (seams,pose was rigid,overall lighting,saturation as i think it was too yellooooow before,etc )
    2u712q1.jpg

And heres the flats :-)
    fc659w.jpg

Hope i made yo proud shotgun!!! :-D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey Awesome job! I love how you painted in the really tight glossy spec on the boots and green uniform. Makes the materials read really well imo.

I'm not sure if you are calling this 100 percent done, but I'll throw in some suggestions. Sorry I'm so late to the party btw.

Okay, anatomy wise the knee area looks strange to me. Almost like his knee cap got jacked off to the side somehow and its super inflamed. I would suggest bring it in, and making it more subtle (do not define the shadows there so strong).

I think this might be partly a problem with your geometry being uber low but my next comment might give you some geometry to play with.

The straps going over his shoulder from his suit look too wobbly to me. Again, this could be your geometry and that you have the clavicle area and chest sticking out more than it really needs to. I don't know. But I think if you simplify it some it would be better. Its better to have a pretty much straight line, than have a really wobbly one.

Like I said, I'm not sure what is causing this because it looks straight on your texture sheet. But another even easier option you might want to try is adjusting your uv's. Just by sliding a vert or two around might do the trick.

My last suggestion is about the tattoos on the leg. I think shotgun was mentioning these as well. They look really cool, and are a very good idea, however; they don't read well. At first glance I though you had some really messed up shadows going on in the leg. Because he is so low poly and the tattoos are on the side of his leg, you never really can see them well. They always become distorted due to the low poly geometry. And since they are on the side of his leg from the front view they read even worse. I think if you simply removed them all together it would really help. I know it would be sad to see that cool detail go, but its simply not working man.

Your painting skills and your low poly looks really awesome man! Congrats! The only thing holding this back from being near-perfect in my eyes are those more technical details. Great job!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good job!
    those highlights r insane but ok :)
    next time - focus on the big shapes, and make your highlights (' shapes) in accordance. as in, highlights reflect form, they can't exist on their own. and form is defined by shape (and supporting rendering), so, make sure uve got the whole shake-n-bake lighting going on to support ur highlights, which is the backlight, core shadow, light & finally highlight. dont just plaster them everything (like on the front chest) cuz they aren't "sitting" on anything...