Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Italican Muscle Car

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I've been on this for about a week now and I'm fairly happy with the general shape of the exterior, the only thing I'm unsure about is the grill around the front area, so whatever pops to your mind about this is very appreciated.

I started with the Lancia Beta Coupe and tried to make it look a little more like an american muscle car..

lancia_beta12.JPG

lancia_beta13.JPG

Still have to work on the bumpers and fix some errors before I head onto finishing the interior.

Replies

• Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    This part here:
    f99e70b6a03677addb1bdbc603b99924.png

looks weird. The end of the bumper where it meets the wheel well shouldn't have that lip like that - the lip should sort of fade out. Like this:

34f4a4fc930ed86682fd91ace8a57b09.png
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    haha, I have a '79 Beta Coupe! It even still has bits of metal that aren't rust, hehe

This is cool, although it looks more like a rally version than an american muscle, but nothing wrong with that :p it still looks good. Nice job! keep going!

Front reminds me of an Alfa GTV a bit
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job so far, I really like those renders whats your setup for that?

I agree that the bumper sticking out the way it does looks a little odd, and it may be the distance of the camera but the brake disc seem too thin and too close to the rim like its intersecting it.
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    That's fairly simple.
    Just a standard material with a falloff put into the diffuse slot, first colour is set to a dark grey and the second to white. Falloff type is set to fresnel.
    Then I placed a spot light to light the car..

/e: ajr2764, there are no brake disks yet, that's part of the rims of the Lancia.. :)
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update..

lancia_beta14.JPG

lancia_beta15.JPG

Weird shadows in the last render, don't know where they are coming from..

Haven't touched the bumpers yet.
    I wanted to go for this kind of bumper, just bent around the whole front and rear..

70_chevelle.jpg
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    Any comments on this?

lancia_beta18.JPG

lancia_beta19.JPG

lancia_beta20.JPG

Just need to put in the suspension and brakedisk and stuff, they're already done but I have to put them in.

Unless somebody finds something else or elaborates on the bumper incident I'd call it a day and move on to the lowpoly..
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    The bumpers still look really weird. No car has bumpers like that. I don't know what other elaboration you need.
  • TOBBE_LA
    Ooh, Nice job! keep it up! :D
  • MattBradley
    Nice modelling. Can we see some wires?
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    the tires looks kinda big compare with the ref pic u wanna aim at.
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, another update from the undercarriage. Not exactly realistic, but it does a good enough job looking busy.

lancia_beta21.JPG

I think the tires and the body don't have their pivots lined up, so the tires went a little off center when I rotated the car.
    Kitteh wrote: »
    The bumpers still look really weird. No car has bumpers like that. I don't know what other elaboration you need.

What about the 1958 Ford Thunderbird?

I just don't think it looks weird, and the only explanation you gave was that it doesn't look like what seems to be a Seat Marbella.

voff, that Chevelle isn't exactly my reference pic, I just posted it to show what kind of bumpers I was going for, but you are right, the tires are a little to big compared to the rest of the car.

MattBradley, I'll post some wires once I'm completely done with the highpoly..
  • JarlanPerez
    I really like how this model is coming out. The bottom doesn't look realistic but as you said it does great a looking busy hehe

I think the bumpers look pretty cool as they are. they are a bit different but I think it gives a cool little touch to the car :D
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner wrote: »
    First of all, another update from the undercarriage. Not exactly realistic, but it does a good enough job looking busy.

lancia_beta21.JPG

I think the tires and the body don't have their pivots lined up, so the tires went a little off center when I rotated the car.

What about the 1958 Ford Thunderbird?

I just don't think it looks weird, and the only explanation you gave was that it doesn't look like what seems to be a Seat Marbella.

voff, that Chevelle isn't exactly my reference pic, I just posted it to show what kind of bumpers I was going for, but you are right, the tires are a little to big compared to the rest of the car.

MattBradley, I'll post some wires once I'm completely done with the highpoly..

Completely different style of car, and the bumper shape of that only further proves my point.
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Completely different style of car

Just like the car you posted?
    I'm not seeing how it proves your point, which was "It looks weird, no car has it this way." when I post a picture of a car that does have a bumper that works about the same way as the ones I put on my car..
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I think the bumpers look weird too. You're getting away with it just on the front bumper, but the rear one is sticking way out past the rear wheel which makes it look like it'd catch on curbs and stuff. It also doesn't sit very well with the sweeping curve of the bodywork as it wraps underneath the car that's established in the side panel, kinda like it's a chop job from a different car or something.

If you look at the chevelle ref you posted initially you'll see it's bumpers wrap around but they also taper down to maybe a 1-2cm rise from the body, yours looks more like 7-8cm or so. Even in the thunderbird ref where the bumper reaches the wheel well, the bumpers still sit flush with the bodywork for the most part with maybe a 1-2cm rise at the most.

The wheels also seem a little on the large side compared to the overall size of the car. It's looking a little toycar-ish or more like a modified offroad car at the moment.

The rest seems fine though, nice modelling. Looking forward to seeing the bake.
  • Insulaner
    Offline / Send Message
    I reworked the high poly a little, because for what I had in mind, it needs to look a bit more beaten up.
    I also made a low poly and baked the stuff down. I spent a horrible time unwrapping this..
    I need to fix a lot of stuff in the normal map, but Photoshop should do the trick for that..

Anyway, pictures..

bowserprogress6.jpg

bowserprogress7.jpg

bowserprogress5.jpg

bowserprogress4.jpg

The last two shots show it with armor applied..
    I have some huge nails that I still need to copy around the armor, so it looks like somebody ran out of bolts and had to find something else to fit the armor to the car with..
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks cool, like it!
    one thing that springs to mind though is your armour design just seems a lot less interesting than what it's covering up.. lots of big flat areas

could you maybe think a bit more about where each piece of armour was scavenged from and add some details of its former function?
  • Contrails
    I agree with rooster - it also fits together too perfectly both to the car and each other - it should be more beat up and loosely slapped on