Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Stylish DM Layout for test

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
udk-dm-kudzucity01.jpg

download here
http://chrisholden.net/dm-openhall.zip

Working on a new DM level. It's small/meduim size deathmatch map designed for 2-8 players. I have not yet created ANY art for this level. It's pure layout. So if you find it necessary to give artistic feedback, god bless you.

That said, what I'm looking for is feedback on design. Is it easy to get around?, feel adequitely equipted? fun? any additional paths, navigation, blocking things off and so on.

For quit testing, you'll need the lastest version of UDK installed
To run this level, extract the zip here:
Place Openhall.upk in UDK > UDKGame > Content
Put DM-Openhall02.udk in the Maps directory of Content
Then open Dm-Openhall02 in UDK
Click the little joystick icon in the upper right (play level in editor window)
Once in game, you can hit ` to drop the console and type addbots 5 (anywhere between 2 and 7 is fine depending on how frantic you want the action)

Once I'm happy with the layout, I'll start on the art stuff. What's currently there art-wise is mostly proof of concept bs. but I'll likely retain a similar shader, colors and so on.

Replies

• e_x
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    Needs more chain chomps
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    http://chrisholden.net/openhall01.jpg

Went vegetation crazy on Saturday, so here's a big update. Only a few small areas have plants, so don't worry about those other places. Still tons and tons to do, but I'm so cool I'll let you play! None of this fake environment art shit.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    look at this shit <see above> ba-zow!
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I like it. Played with four bots initially, will probably try again with a few more, see how it affects the flow.

I think the pick-up placement and spawn points are good - I liked the way that collecting the armor could almost be a tactical choice (depending on the number of players) because of it's relative vulnerability on that ridge. Weapon placement was good, too. Are the pick-ups randomized?

I like the differences in elevation - more than one spot for some cheeky rocket action, and overall navigation was easy but it doesn't feel limited or restricted to one obvious path, but it's tight enough to feel quite edgy.

One thing that kinda bugged me was the fact that the bridge interrupts the ability to move throughout the cave system from one side to the other. It could work (going back to the variety of elevations) if maybe another bridge was added (or a narrow natural bridge over the gorge, maybe with a rare pick-up) that passed under it. Then again, as it is now collecting that pick-up on the bridge could also be something of a risk, because of it's vulnerability from the caves on either side - guess it depends on your intentions.

One minor thing - I noticed that it's really tricky to move across this point without jumping (even then it's a bit odd):

stuckd.jpg

Overall, fun to play. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks danshewan,

I have bad personal feelings about the bridge too. Right now it's injected into the level without much thought. I have a plan to redo the bridge with better design and collision to make the area most fun, but first I need to figure out that plan.

Glad you found that spot. I'd notice a bot standing around there sometime so this must be the reason. Still on the fence if I want to keep those ground pods or ditch them for terrain. Either way, I'll smooth that out. Thanks.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I played a round with bots last night and I enjoyed it. I had the same problems that Dan had, getting stuck on intersections of the ground pods.

I am kind of sad that the bridge goes over a death pit I enjoy over & under layouts.
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoy over & under layouts.

Yeah, I heard that about you.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • shotgun
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    udk-dm-kudzucity01.jpg

Small update from last night
    put down more vegetation,
    fixed col bug dansh found
    amd fixed addition collision error found in later playtesting.

You can grab latest version here (require may udk or newer)
    http://chrisholden.net/dm-openhall.zip
  • [iWi]
    Chris ,
    I like it a lot .
    (make rotate those square stones up/down - left/right ) and Your scene needs some "magic mush" -

magicmushroom.jpg