Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

S.W.A.T. Style!

Yea, like the title says! C&C welcome and probably needed :)

09-1.jpg
10-2.jpg

Max high poly helm: I put it in Zbrush just so i could see the whole character and get the full effect!
Helm.jpg
Helm_Back.jpg

Sidearm:
Gun.jpg

Replies

• Clintus Maximus
    Update here guys! Let me know if you have any advice or crits. Thanks!

11-2.jpg
    12-2.jpg
    13-3.jpg
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    I'm far from an expert in charachters or anatomy, but the back of his neck (where it meets the skull) looks wrong. Also his waist is way to thin and from the side it looks like he has breasts.

The folds in the clothes are looking god tho.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the vest. Those pouches are great!

I think he needs an undershirt. He also should have a chinstrap for the helmet i think.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    The attention to detail is fantastic, one major issue that I can see is that the helmet is way too small that it appears to be an extension of his head. I would scale it significantly.

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/media/Body-Armor/PB-nato-swat.jpg

All the best!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    His arms look way too thin atm. If he had a baggy shirt like that and his arms were in there, they would have to be like twigs. Also, it looks like you gave him an overbit (his lower lip is further out than his upper), and that his lips in general are not wrapping around his face enough, or pulled back far enough.

I would also pull the shoulders back more to give him a more natural relaxed looked. The clavical is too defined, and some of the folds look a bit weird along the bicep area from the front view.

I too really like the detailing though. :)

Great start, but be careful to not get caught up with detail too quickly. focus on the major forms, because that's what is most important.

Keep up the good work!

[edit] oh, and his skull is too small also. Like the way his head is currently with the helmet is about the proportions you need for just his head, Then you need to add a bulky looking hemet on top of that. Got any references? If not, that could be one of the reasons some of these proportions are off.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard to tell if you are going for a cartoony, or realistic art style. If realistic, then you should re-do the gear based on actual designs.
  • Clintus Maximus
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Good crits all around.

Arac: I think you're right about the back of the skull and waist thank you. I'll fix his vest so he doesn't seem to have boobage lol totally not the look i want for this guy.

ngs616: Thanks man! Actually you are right and he will be getting both those shortly, i just haven't gotten to it yet.

Allan-p: Good call! I'll be fixing that first. Thanks much!

BradMyers82: I actually scaled them up already but you're right he's supposed to be wearing a big jacket so it needs to be baggier... Thanks for the overbite tip i didn't even notice. Thanks a lot!

StealthSilver: Okay this is the one crit that confuses me... What exactly about him looks cartoony? I am going for realistic, so i don't want anything cartoony about him. And i have a lot of reference for this gear that i am giving him, so i don't see where it's not realistic...
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StealthSilver: Okay this is the one crit that confuses me... What exactly about him looks cartoony? I am going for realistic, so i don't want anything cartoony about him. And i have a lot of reference for this gear that i am giving him, so i don't see where it's not realistic...

It's because I don't recognize the vest / helmet he's wearing. It would be helpful if you posted some of your refs.
  • Clintus Maximus
    Update! Legs seem a little off length-wise to me but i haven't taken a minute to fix it lol lazy i know!

StealthSilver: Here is some reference. Its supposed to be hyper-realistic. Im taking pieces i like from these and kind of combining them into something i like. (Below)

14-2.jpg

ss-014-lg.jpg
    SWAT_Front.jpg
    2010prototype.jpg
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good.

May I ask what tool you used to get the wrinkles? (I know you're using Zbrush)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Mr.Bean, maybe... brush?
    Clintus, look ok so far, check out the size of his head tho, it look a bit too big compared to the body.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StealthSilver: Here is some reference. Its supposed to be hyper-realistic. Im taking pieces i like from these and kind of combining them into something i like. (Below)

If you're going for hyper realism, it's much better to base your gear off of actual (real-life) models of gear, especially for modern/historical concepts. Otherwise, it's not realistic, because it's a design that doesn't exist in reality.

I'm a bit of an army buff though, so I'm splitting hairs. :)
  • Clintus Maximus
    @ Mr. Bean: Thanks, Ha i would never insult you by telling you it was Zbrush that was the tool i used, although it would be pretty funny. I use a combination of the Standard, Clay, Pinch, and Mpolish brushes. And of course the Smooth brush.

@ conte: Thanks Conte! I've heard several different comments on the size of my head. I keep refining it but i feel like i push it too far one way and then over-correct the other way ha. I'll keep working it, thank you.

@ StealthSilve: Well it can be realistic without being real. Isn't that what a lot of games are about/going for these days? But i totally understand what you are saying, and appreciate the comments. It's good to have crits from somebody who knows what they are talking about when it comes to the subject im working on.
  • Clintus Maximus
    Fixed those anatomy issues! The face needs to be re-worked now but he's a bit more accurate now.

15-3.jpg
    16-3.jpg
    17-2.jpg
    18-1.jpg
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Mr. Bean: Thanks, Ha i would never insult you by telling you it was Zbrush that was the tool i used, although it would be pretty funny. I use a combination of the Standard, Clay, Pinch, and Mpolish brushes. And of course the Smooth brush.

Thanks for the info!

He's looking a little feminine due to legs that are too thin. His waist should be a little wider too, I think. Also in the side view his legs bend back too much.
  • Clintus Maximus
    Thanks Bean! I fixed that (hopefully?) and i didnt render a side shot but i did fix that bend so its not so extreme.

19.jpg
  • Clintus Maximus
    Update! All that is left is i need to fix his face. Since i adjusted it i don't like it...

24.jpg
    25.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg