Home General Discussion

EMINEM - RECOVERY

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Recovery21.jpg

OFFICIALLY GETS RELEASED NEXT WEEK BUT I GOT MY HANDS ON IT.

Great stuff as always. I know some people had issues with Relapse but I thought it was a solid release and so far I've listened to Recovery 3-4 times so I would say it's good stuff.

A nice clip from "Almost Famous"

I stuck my dick in this game like a rapist, they call me Slim Rothelsberger
I get beserker than a fed up postal worker
A murker with a mossberg, I'm pissed off, get murdered
Like someone took a ketchup squirter, squirted a frankfurter
For a gangsta, you should of shit your pants when you saw
The chainsaw get to waving like a terrible dial
I faced her around when his fangs come out, get your brains blown out

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting for this. I've liked what I've heard so far (I'm not afraid). I also liked Relapse, though not as much as others. I'm glad to see him including so much of Detroit in this (the cover and videos).

BTW, I'm assuming you got your hands on the pirated version? ;) I'm avoiding the d/l right now, because I plan to buy it. I'll pay for CDs that I'm confident I'll like :D (not to say that you won't buy it once it's out... if you did pirate).
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the leaked version i saw didnt even have "im not afraid" on it....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    That is a really, really awful verse. Like, atrocious, what the fuck is going on with the meter and rhyming scheme there.

God damn, fuck the new eminem stuff. Still gonna listen to the cd, but ready to be let down even more than i was on relapse. I dont see how you guys enjoy his raps just because he says mildly gross/offensive stuff. Used to have a lot more going for him.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's a lot of vanishing points.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I would definitely like to see him start using subjects other than his life. Recently, Kid Rock called into a local radio station, and he referenced how someone helped teach him how to write songs, and I have to say, he's progressed better than Em has. And I say that, since they both worked the Detroit scene at the same time, and hit at the same time. I'd love Em to contact Kid and get some tips/advice. (They only live about an hour apart)

And for me, I'm not listening to Eminem for his gross/offensive stuff. I love when he get's a good rap going with some good beats. Some offensive stuff, I do like. One thing he's always been able to do, is make me laugh at some of his lyrics that are directed at offending certain people.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Bought it today, been a fan of his since the Marshall Mathers LP, really liking the album, better then Relapse, and way better then Encore (even though both albums have some classics on them)

If you ever liked Eminem before, definitely give it a listen
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I just listened to I'm not afraid, and is it me or is he taking that Alanis Morrisette route (not that I'm a fan of hers)

:/

Basically he made his reputation off of uncompromising anger and sending a giant middle finger to the various establishments he had to struggle with to get to break from the constraints of poverty, and become a multimillionaire superstar.

And now it's like adult contemporary feel-good positive crap.

I'm disappointed. It's sad when artists no longer have anything relevant to say. I'll give the rest of the album a listen, but the couple tracks I've heard weren't good.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved the Slim Shady lp back then even went to buy the one after that on release day
    (buy! in a store! good old times :D) and was brutally disapointed.
    Its the standard i was awesome got rich did too much cocaine lost my creativity route.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Slum wrote: »
    ...really?

Yup.

Most of his appeal was the shock value. The shock wore off, and there isn't much left.

He's like Marilyn Manson, and Axl Rose. His lyrics and his antics just no longer seem relevant. most of this album seems like I'm listening to a retro act trying to regain their mantle.

It's like he's out of touch of what made him popular to begin with.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, I wasn't replying to you JacqueChoi, I was actually responding to the fact that people actually...listen to Eminem.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Slum, oldschool eminem was awesome, dont hate.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Slum, oldschool eminem was awesome, dont hate.

Eminem's old stuff (before Slim Shady) is great. I also prefer some of his unreleased freestyle mix tapes to his actual releases.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Yup.

Most of his appeal was the shock value. The shock wore off, and there isn't much left.

He's like Marilyn Manson, and Axl Rose. His lyrics and his antics just no longer seem relevant. most of this album seems like I'm listening to a retro act trying to regain their mantle.

It's like he's out of touch of what made him popular to begin with.

Happens all the time in the music industry, it's hard to stay angry and sharp when you're sitting on mountains of money given to you by the society you "hated".

hetfield_so_metal.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Yup.
    ...and Axl Rose.

You take that back, you son of a bitch.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    wah? How did that happen?

Must've been a typo. I was umm.. trying to ... type..

Axl Foley.

yeah
    uhhh that't it.

axel_foley_575.jpg

uhhh the shock value of axel foley just isn't there anymore. Now he's all fat and starring in all the roles.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually responding to the fact that people actually...listen to Eminem.

That is what I thought, when I saw the thread title...
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I wasn't replying to you JacqueChoi, I was actually responding to the fact that people actually...listen to Eminem.

Indeed.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Just out of curiosity, do you guys listen to hip hop?
    Eminem had his ups and downs. Some of his stuff is straight lyrical genius. I'll be taking a look at his album for sure
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Happens all the time in the music industry, it's hard to stay angry and sharp when you're sitting on mountains of money given to you by the society you "hated".

hetfield_so_metal.jpg

That picture fucking hurts my soul. I was excited when I heard about the 'Big Four' Tour going on, with Megadeth and Metallica on the same stage, but not so much when I remember what Armani Hetfield has turned out the last decade and a half.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    That picture fucking hurts my soul. I was excited when I heard about the 'Big Four' Tour going on, with Megadeth and Metallica on the same stage, but not so much when I remember what Armani Hetfield has turned out the last decade and a half.

oh come on people grow up hetfield an others were kids and shouting out against the system like most all kids do, now and as they grow up you realize you don't have to be an angry antisocial douche, thats its ok to just be a normal douche,
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eminem sucks dick. No talent whatsoever, just whining about how much his life sucks, being a multimillionaire and all. rofl
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    TomDunne wrote: »

That's just crushing.

Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, are the 2 best albums ever written.

Funny enough, I saw Metallica play a gig with Eminem back when they opened the Jimi Hendrix Experience Music Project in Seattle.

With Chili Peppers, Snoop Dog, Dr.Dre, and Filter.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    Eminem sucks dick. No talent whatsoever, just whining about how much his life sucks, being a multimillionaire and all. rofl

0/10. Eminem doesn't need talent, for his first CD's he had skill.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Hating for sake of hating ahaha

He's put his album on myspace for everyone to have a legal listen if they want to check it out before buying (or not).
    http://www.myspace.com/eminem?utm_source=eminemsite&utm_medium=newsitem&utm_campaign=recoverymyspacepremiere

The guy is both talented and skilled, if you're not into the type of music he does its really not mature to just say 'he sucks dick and has no talent', as a matter of fact i think KhAoZ sucks dick. No talent whatsoever, pretending he has bright future and hoping that one day he will get into the game industry... but his work i've seen to date sucks major hairy balls... Hey wait maybe im just not into game stuff??
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KhAoZ wrote: »

Do you have any reasons supporting your statement that he has no talent? If you yourself could come up with lyrics half as clever as his (especially freestyle), then maybe you'd have a valid opinion.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not much of a rapper, but I'll definetly check this out. I'm really interested in what he has to say and how far away has he strayed from real problems, that people without gazillions of dollars have. If he did that is.

I remember seeing an old interview with Em on some parking lot of some local mall and some guy was asking him about his record. It loosely(very losely) sounded like this:
    - So what's this song about?
    - This song is about how I wanted to kill the mother of my baby
    - Shit man, isn't that too much of a heavy shit?
    - Could you say that no one ever made you feel so bad, that you wanted to kill him?
    - I guess not, but I wouldn't nesceccerily put it on a record.
    - Well, If I am evil enough to think it, then I won't pretend it doesn't exist - I'm gonnay say it.

And that's what it's about for me. It's about an artist being more honest to his audience, then the audience wants to be to itself.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's funny that someone'd ask 'are you even a fan of hiphop?' in response to someone trashing Eminem, because that's exactly what I think when people proclaim to be a fan of Eminem ;)

Nah, dickishness aside, I really don't think his lyrics are very strong. In fact, at times they're downright awful. I'll admit I'd take them over gangsta rap tripe, but then I wouldn't willingly listen to that either.
    He's had a few good songs, and his flow is alright, but he's phenominally overrated.

To add something positive to this post and put my cards on the table, here's a few hiphop artists I do like:
    -Zucchini Drive
    -Aesop Rock
    -Busdriver
    -Themselves
    -A Tribe Called Quest
    -Cannibal Ox
    -Cunninglynguists
    -Dalek
    -Atmosphere
    -Doseone
    -Aim (instrumental for the most part)
    -Alias
    -Buck65
    -Eyedea
    -Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
    -Sage Francis
    -Beastie Boys
    -Daedalus
    -Avalanches (instrumental, sample stuff)
    -Dan Bull (check out safe, it's free on his website/myspace)
    -The Streets, although certainly not all of it.
    -x-ecutioners
    -The dynospectrum
    -El-P

Just a list of stuff that came to mind, but I hope someone likes some of it!
    Just to offset the dig at Eminem I couldn't stop myself from posting ;)
    And I must admit that the lyrics to some of these are times pretty bad too, but then something else draws me in.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MP: no love for Deltron?
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the Jazzmatazz albums.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: didn't know them, but now I see Dan The Automator's in it. Listening right now. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MP: It's not them. Just 'Del'. 'Deltron' was a persona created for the Deltron 3030 album, which is written as if he's writing from Mars - where he lives. Del is a singer for Gorillaz and cousins of, I think, Ice Cube.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    It's funny that someone'd ask 'are you even a fan of hiphop?' in response to someone trashing Eminem, because that's exactly what I think when people proclaim to be a fan of Eminem ;)

lol, yeah the question could definitely go both ways

Del is not really the gorillaz mc, just kind of a guest. Hieroglyphics is his main gig

On the Deltron note, 3030 was the album that got me into hip hop, I was a metal head before then. Jumped to listening to the Hieroglyphics from there and its been a love ever since. I second Cunninlynguists and Atmosphere. Don't mind if I add a few to the list

-Handsome boy modeling school
    -Binary star
    -Jedi Mind Tricks
    -People under the stairs
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam:

"Deltron 3030 is a supergroup of hip hop artists, composed of producer Dan the Automator, rapper Del tha Funkee Homosapien and DJ Kid Koala. Their work features many other artists as well, all taking on various futuristic pseudonyms."

That's what I was listening to, so...

edit: another nice suggestion, and relatively unknown: Bleubird.