Home Technical Talk

Corrupt file in mudbox, lost quite a bit of work

John Baxter
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
Well, I was working on this sculpt and Mudbox decided to crash (it's been crashing every 5 minutes or so for a while now, but that's another story). I had learned that I can save my work even after it's crashed so I had been doing that with no problems until now, when, while it was saving, it crashed a second time, corrupting the file. I can't open it anymore and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to retrieve the work I lost. I can still re-do everything but I'd rather not, as it took some time.

Replies

• jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, sorry to hear about your situation, but hopefully this can help.
    Mudbox saves 2 versions of your scene when you hit save, a .bak file and a .mud file, the .bak file can be accessed by changing its extension from .bak to .mud and your file should be untainted.

let me know if that fixes your problem as its worked for me in the past.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if that file is really lost... send it to autodesk...
    they repaired files vor me in the past...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very sorry to hear about your loss... Save to iteration and save often.
  • John Baxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
    jam-i-am wrote: »
    hey man, sorry to hear about your situation, but hopefully this can help.
    Mudbox saves 2 versions of your scene when you hit save, a .bak file and a .mud file, the .bak file can be accessed by changing its extension from .bak to .mud and your file should be untainted.

let me know if that fixes your problem as its worked for me in the past.

Oh my God, I love you so much! This worked perfectly, thanks a million times!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, first off, mud2009 is buggy, so if thats what you are using you really should switch to 2010 or 2011.

Then, avoid overwriting files too much. Remember those are often 100mb+ files - errors are just bound to happen, its just statistics!

Also, if your mud crashes often, stop what you're doing and try to figure out why. Most of the time its because you have a certain kind of topology that Mud doesnt like. 2011 actually detects those and refuses to subdivide further, but previous versions let it go and then start complaining when you hit the painful spots.

I'd say grab the 2011 demo, throw your basemesh in there and subdivide a few times to see what happens. Better learn what went wrong asap!!

And, dont overwrite too much, its just asking for trouble ...

P
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my God, I love you so much! This worked perfectly, thanks a million times!

cool man, i know how that feel to lose your work, if i lose 5 mins of work i go ape shit. As vig and pior said remember to save often as thats just a good idea, also save a new file as appose to saving over the same one. when working digitally shit happens that at times we cant control.
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cody.rauh polycounter lvl 6
    Thank God for my fellow polycounters! The .bak just saved me three weeks worth of work when F'ING!!!! WINDOWS 8, restarted my workstation for updates while I went out for lunch.

Even though I had saved the file it corrupted it, and crashed at every attempt to open.

Thank you guys
  • Vinny6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the tip guys! Almost lost a really important hour of progress. But the .bak tip worked like a charm!