Home General Discussion

TF2 Now on Mac

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
Team Fortress 2 is now on Mac! That's not really what I care about in this post though.

Take a look at this video.

http://www.teamfortress.com/macupdate/

Notice anything at the end? The Engineer is holding a new shotgun! A hint at what's to come in the Engineer update?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awesome shotty, wrong section.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww yeah I just noticed that. I'm so used to having General Discussion on the top... Admin move it please?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Neat shotgun.

Aside from that, my eyes rolled so hard at this update they actually created friction and burned their way out of the back of my head and rolled away. Thankfully, my hands are still on the home keys.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. That was cringeworthy.

View of a window - View of an apple - View of characters with iPod earbuds.

Meh. Not their usual greatness.

Cool shotgun, though.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I just want the engy update :(
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Ew, valve bending over for Apple, that was not a pleasant sight. And screw new shotguns lets see the new turrets!
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys have no sense of humor! That was great, as usual. Text under the video is sweet too.
    The day Ian Fleming invented penicillin. The day scientists invented the moon landing. The day Sir Isaac Newton distracted the policemen investigating his wife’s murder by discovering gravity. All of these historic moments have two things in common. They helped steer the course of human history. And they’re all days you’ll skip past in future history books to get to today: the day Team Fortress 2 became available for Mac users.

It's the same tongue-in-cheek goodness they've delivered before, not sure what the issue is. Other than not liking Apple, of course, which is generally a worthy cause. But it's a good market to tap into and I know people that work on Macs and would like to enjoy Valve games too.

Think Bullets.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Product placement in games...BE GONE FOUL DEMON!
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Soldier trying to decide which hat to put on was best i think.

Now we're going to have a mac vs pc war just like we had demo vs soldier.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Product placement in games...BE GONE FOUL DEMON!

Pretty big difference between product placement and a joke item to differentiate players playing on a Mac from a PC.

I'd generally agree to that otherwise, though it's an interesting topic. Obviously a lot of it is distasteful in games at this point, but real products in both games and film can work fine in some cases. That's a whole 'nother thread though, and probably a discussion that's already been had here.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    tf2 on mac... after how long? meh, i'll keep playing on pc like i have been for years :P
    grats to mac users though aye! *golf clap*
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like the head phones, I can now target the prideful apple lovers :P
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Installed it this morning and had a quick match... worked surperb! I already own the PC version and it never asked for any validation, great service!

Also, playing with bots is pretty cool as well, no more games with unbalanced teams or people suddenly leaving, yay!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "Jobbs Orchards" priceless

and check out the comic, are we going to get Saxton Hale vs Steve Jobs?

shame on you guys for acting like hurt fanboys
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah but did you not read the comic.

Saxton Hale possibly buying Apple?

Good news if true, he'll give a what for to that mad man, Steve Jobs.

http://www.teamfortress.com/macupdate/comic/
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Calabi, you realize it's going to be a steve jobs dick-sucking fest where they compare him in badassery to Saxton Hale. Not that it isn't already, with the mac fanservice they've already put out.

Revolting in every way.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I think it's rather a shame that a game with an amazingly consistent art direction has, by now, turned into a game where Apple fans, highlanders and magistrates fight Sam and Max fans, piss throwers and people with a fetish for hats. It's very funny and all, but the simple '50s spy themed aesthetic has suffered quite a bit. The story (if you could call it that) also used to be more charming when it could do without any names at all.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Personally I think it's rather a shame that a game with an amazingly consistent art direction has, by now, turned into a game where Apple fans, highlanders and magistrates fight Sam and Max fans, piss throwers and people with a fetish for hats. It's very funny and all, but the simple '50s spy themed aesthetic has suffered quite a bit. The story (if you could call it that) also used to be more charming when it could do without any names at all.
    Granted, there's a big degree to which I agree with you strongly.

Apple fanboys? Ugh. Not only does it break with the whole theme, but it's stupid whoring out of a group of folks that I otherwise respected. Plus, it pops me out of what little immersion there is into a world where I'm dealing with a mac promotion. Ew, ew, ew.

As for the piss and hats and highlanders...hey, I'll give credit where credit is due, they managed to tie in an element of comic book culture nostalgia that I really appreciate: the back pages. I got the Charles Atlas reference in the Saxton Hale Jarate promotion. I loved the ads for the dead ringer and camera beard.

And hats? One thing to remember is in this game you are mercenaries working for (essentially) a Bond villain. You're henchmen. And hey, as cool as being the nameless cookie-cutter hench can be, the novelty wears off and folks start wanting to be a named hench, your Jaws and Oddjob, with a specialized look and choice of weapons.

Plus, they're doing the best they can to keep the game from, frankly, getting old. Imagine if they hadn't done the updates, and you were still playing your Dustbowl, Hydro, and 2fort with the same weapons. It'd have gotten a lot staler a lot quicker. Valve did good by offering more stuff, which is partially what they're doing here. Frankly, I'm really excited at the notion that I might be able to cruise into battle with the Man-hittin' project.

But the whoring out? The promotions? The dumb product stuff?

No steve...I don't like it.

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_nosteveidontlikeit.jpg
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, we're talking about a game that has been developer supported to an unprecedented extent. I doubt it has made them much money in a while, and the updates are more or less as regular as ever. They're running a small promotion to simultaneously poke fun and bring a group of gamers into the fold that have felt largely ignored pretty much forever.

Complaining about one joke item and a comic after 118 previous free updates makes you sound a little ridiculous.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D-209 wrote: »
    Seriously, we're talking about a game that has been developer supported to an unprecedented extent. I doubt it has made them much money in a while, and the updates are more or less as regular as ever. They're running a small promotion to simultaneously poke fun and bring a group of gamers into the fold that have felt largely ignored pretty much forever.

Complaining about one joke item and a comic after 118 previous free updates makes you sound a little ridiculous.
    In your opinion.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    In your opinion.

No, everything I say on the internet is scientific fact.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    They're running a small promotion to simultaneously poke fun and bring a group of gamers into the fold that have felt largely ignored pretty much forever.
    By sucking their dicks?

Yeah no thanks. And "group of gamers?" First time I've heard mac users called that.

I have no problem with making TF2 compatible with their silly overpriced linux ripoffs, but indulging their revolting smug fanboy base with the aforementioned fellatio is a new low.

Trivialize it if you must, it's a game it's trivial, but it's something I enjoy and took pride in enjoying and it's now being whored out in the most shameless way I've seen.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, everything I say on the internet is scientific fact.
    seewhatyoudid.jpg?w=482&h=390
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Dude seriously, get over yourself. I could give a shit about earbuds, and I just played it on my mac at home last night. I think I'll keep wearing them though if it gets a rise out of people like you. Makes the game even more interesting for me =] You sound worse than the 'fanboys' you seem so bitter about.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Are people really pissed about people who choose to play using a Mac? Really?
    Are you so full of yourself you do not like others enjoying a game you enjoy? Just because they play it on different hardware?

Also I do not see the "selling out" at all, all I see is Valve poking fun at the fanboyism that usually goes with Apple products.

I was playing with a bunch of Mac users back on the server I admin on, most of them were half decent and many weren't even wearing their earbuds.

There are servers banning people for wearing the damned earbuds, and medics not healing. It's completely retarded.

Honestly if people have a problem playing with Mac users they should have a problem playing with Alienware owners :|

Also I logged in on my account on a Mac and got earbuds haha.

The games the same, just more players and more money for Valve, which is good.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I support steam and just about everything they do, being able to play games on every computer you own, even on another OS, or even if you just log in on a friends computer, is plain awesome. Steam really supports indie developers and buyers with their sales and deals.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    There are servers banning people for wearing the damned earbuds, and medics not healing. It's completely retarded.
    That's really stupid, yeah.

I don't have a problem with them putting their software on a mac. I have a mac myself (and a PC, which I play games on). I just found that the short they made didn't have the depth of wit that they usually shoehorn in, to a point where I'm wondering why they bothered.

Like, remember the Meet the Spy video, or how hilarious the Meet the Heavy video was?? Compare that to this new mac video, and it just seems way off.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I love computer wars.
    Almost as much as console wars.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Dude seriously, get over yourself. I could give a shit about earbuds, and I just played it on my mac at home last night. I think I'll keep wearing them though if it gets a rise out of people like you. Makes the game even more interesting for me =] You sound worse than the 'fanboys' you seem so bitter about.
    Color me surprised.[/sarcasm]
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    That's really stupid, yeah.

I don't have a problem with them putting their software on a mac. I have a mac myself (and a PC, which I play games on). I just found that the short they made didn't have the depth of wit that they usually shoehorn in, to a point where I'm wondering why they bothered.

Like, remember the Meet the Spy video, or how hilarious the Meet the Heavy video was?? Compare that to this new mac video, and it just seems way off.

Okay that I completely agree with, the entire thing seemed rush and was not at all up to par with the Meet The Spy Vid. But you did get to see one of the engis new weapons, so, worth it :P
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was really just a small promotional video. You can tell they obviously rushed it because of the Engineer's arm stretching at the end while holding the new gun. It's definitely not near as great as a "Meet The" video but I didn't go in expecting it to be anything like that. It does its purpose by showing that people can play on Mac now and teased at the Engineer update. Do you expect them to spend months on it like they do for the "Meet The" videos just to show that?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    This was really just a small promotional video. You can tell they obviously rushed it because of the Engineer's arm stretching at the end while holding the new gun. It's definitely not near as great as a "Meet The" video but I didn't go in expecting it to be anything like that. It does its purpose by showing that people can play on Mac now and teased at the Engineer update. Do you expect them to spend months on it like they do for the "Meet The" videos just to show that?
    Well. Yeah, I did expect them to spend as much, if not more, time on this vid.

The "Meet the" videos are made to raise awareness of new features for a single game. This new Apple vs Windows video is made to raise awareness on a new platform.

I expected bigger and better, really. Especially from such a home-run studio like Valve, who have really been peerless in this area for the last however many years. The entire video was meh for me - where I usually love what they do - and of a much lesser standard than their usual offerings, from a studio that's reknowned for its' "It's done when it's done" mantra, no less.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By sucking their dicks?

Yeah no thanks. And "group of gamers?" First time I've heard mac users called that.

I have no problem with making TF2 compatible with their silly overpriced linux ripoffs, but indulging their revolting smug fanboy base with the aforementioned fellatio is a new low.

Trivialize it if you must, it's a game it's trivial, but it's something I enjoy and took pride in enjoying and it's now being whored out in the most shameless way I've seen.

umad.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

You seem to be forgetting something very important, so I'll spell it out very simply:
    • Team Fortress 2 is a product.
    • Products need consumers to be sold to.
    • Mac users are potential consumers of the product known as TF2.
    • Valve is using advertising to make Mac users aware that they can now play TF2.
    • Valve is doing this because Valve is a company and companies make money by advertising and selling their products to consumers.
    • Since TF2 has been available for PCs since the release of the Orange Box, Valve does not need to do targeted advertising in the same way with PC players that they do with potential Mac players.

The TF2 Blog is one giant marketing scheme designed to make the maximum number of customers and potential customers interested in playing or continuing to play TF2. It's very successful to this end because it uses targeted marketing (like with the recent Mac update page) to talk to consumers and make them aware of great new ways Valve has come up with to take money from them.

Valve puts on a pretty face to consumers (you, me) and they try to be very connected to their player base. They do this because it makes them lots of money.

Mac players are a virtually untapped market of people (just like you and me) who Valve could be putting on a pretty face for and connecting with. Valve is interested in treating Mac players well because it will make them lots of money.

Valve is not sucking the Mac players' dicks any more than they're sucking ours. The key is understanding that by and large, though, they really are sucking all our dicks to some extent. Today they're sucking the dick of the Mac users particularly hard because those same Mac players are going to give Valve LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Color me surprised.[/sarcasm]

No need to be surprised, welcome to the internet. It lets you know when you post stupid shit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHptG35EWU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHptG35EWU[/ame]
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Swizzle wrote: »
    You seem to be forgetting something very important, so I'll spell it out very simply:
    • Team Fortress 2 is a product.
    • Products need consumers to be sold to.
    • Mac users are potential consumers of the product known as TF2.
    • Valve is using advertising to make Mac users aware that they can now play TF2.
    • Valve is doing this because Valve is a company and companies make money by advertising and selling their products to consumers.
    • Since TF2 has been available for PCs since the release of the Orange Box, Valve does not need to do targeted advertising in the same way with PC players that they do with potential Mac players.
    here's several things I apparently need to spell out to you:

• They don't need to resort to being shameless whores to sell video games to mac users. It's not like they don't do just fine in the much more competitive PC market with many, many more options.
    • There isn't a second thing. They don't need to resort to being shameless whores to sell video games to mac users.
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Valve is not sucking the Mac players' dicks any more than they're sucking ours.
    Bitch please.
    No need to be surprised, welcome to the internet. It lets you know when you post stupid shit.

This is the internet letting you know you're posting stupid shit.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Hope you never have to apply at valve after calling them whores and cock suckers in a public forum. If you do, well, best of luck with that. Can't say I'd want to present myself in that light in front of my peers though. This will be my last post on the subject. Feel free to keep slinging your dirt if you need to. I'm no longer interested.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Hope you never have to apply at valve after calling them whores and cock suckers in a public forum. If you do, well, best of luck with that. Can't say I'd want to present myself in that light in front of my peers though. This will be my last post on the subject. Feel free to keep slinging your dirt if you need to. I'm no longer interested.

I actually just had a conversation tonight with a friend at Valve about their fans feeling a weird sense of entitlement for whatever reason. He takes no official stance on it of course, it was mostly just me making observations. Luckily the silent majority can appreciate what they do for the industry (while making money for themselves and taking good care of their employees, no less).

And I agree with your other points, this is a place that seems good for having some fun conversations with people belonging or wanting to belong to your industry, but there's no good reason to spout negative bullshit about a company you obviously care enough about to support. I'm all for thoughtful criticism, but calling a developer whores and cocksuckers is probably not the classiest way to go about it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    all this fuss over some earbuds?? I think it's a brilliant idea, they're clearly designed to encourage competition between pc and mac players. I know I'll be playing more over this weekend because of the update, and I'll be looking out for those earbuds in my sights ;). its just for fun, people..
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster obviously does not understand that the internet is srs bznz
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I don't care about Macs, Apple, or Steve Jobs, but I found this update just as fun and witty as the usual TF2 stuff. I really liked red Soldier hesitating on what hat to wear in the back of the room in the video.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats with all the mac hate? if a game coming out on a different operating system angers you this much you really have some issues.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit karkas, chill. You're taking this way too personal and serious.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Funny, it seems like something that would have just been what it was if people didn't feel the need to argue angrily with what I said.

How many posts in response are specific criticisms on my character by people who don't know me? People nitpicking everything from what it would be like if I applied at valve (which I don't recall ever stating my intention to do) to my language.

I'm not a professional, I'm a critical customer who is explaining my objection to a certain practice. Those who use terms like "personal" and "mac hate" should examine the possibility that they are talking out of their ass and really do not know me or my motivations.

Which is acceptable and understandable, unless they decide to talk on the subject with a pretense of anything other than complete ignorance, in which case they're being pretty dumb.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're coming off as needlessly agressive, so, chill.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's going to be a steve jobs dick-sucking fest....
    Apple fanboys? Ugh.
    But the whoring out? The promotions? The dumb product stuff?

No steve...I don't like it.
    .....And "group of gamers?" First time I've heard mac users called that.

it just seems your coming off as quite aggressive towards Apple, its founders and its consumers. Thats why I used the words 'mac hate'. Please respect that there are users of all operating systems that come together to post their game art on this site professional and non-professional.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    ...words...

Passive-aggressiveness at its finest.

Maybe someone should make this for the TF2 comp:
    1212475_blank_window_frame.jpg

Windows users can hang it around their necks. ;D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Does TF2 match up players depending on their skill level? I always find I get the shit kicked out of me playing TF2, and therefore don't bother with it.

Also, can mac players play with pc players with games like TF2?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    TF2 doesn't have matchmaking, but there are a lot of servers that cater specifically to people who aren't familiar with the game.

Mac and PC players all play on the same servers.