Home Technical Talk

A new modeling tool released

Replies

• elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    achillepr wrote: »
    Hallo. I would know why in last versions there is only the modelling (not completed yet) section of the program.
    Thank you.
    Achille
    Yes, initially it was modeling, rigging and animation package. We felt this program had potential, just not user friendly yet and hard to use. So we took out rigging and animation, focusing on the modeling first. If you download from the website probably you'll get older version, please download the latest link in this thread.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    lol racer does that mean this software will get a site once it's version 6.9 :p

Anyway I found a bug in the viewport snap and already emailed Kun and also save and export function has been mentioned. Hopefully next build it's sorted out.
  • Icarusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey elte this software has big potential but instead if reinventing wheel I really advice to look how Silo 2 is done - if you could clone Silo 2 feature set with its customization options but without bugs you could go commercial with VW and I would first to buy.
    I'm really annoyed by NeverCenter 'please get lost pal' policy towards their customers so new ships is needed for Titanic passengers.

Look into Silo 2, Modo and Hexagon 2.5 for great ideas.A hybrid between Silo and Hexagon would be a Modo killer.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    Just another update of new improvements and bug fixings. Hope you like it.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Sept-12.rar

Summary of changes
    * Primitive object creations are more flexible. You can drag out the object in the scene with LMB/NMB, adjust the parameter values, once satisfied, click the tool button or hit Escape key to finish it.
    * Subdivision command behaviour is changed. "`" will toggle object's sudivision level between 0 and a preset subdivision level whose default value is 2. "`+1/2/3/4" will subdivide object into level 1/2/3/4 respectively, and also set the toggle preset subdivision level to that level.
    * When doing edge chamfering, if want to divide the extrusion into segments, hit a number key (2-9) to finish the operation.
    * A bug in edge paint select is fixed.
    * A bug in vertex G tool is fixed, and the vertex snap tool is moved form LMB to MMB because MMB click doesn't change selection.
    * Form color scheme can be customized through menu "Edit > Preference".
    * The Vertex Color tool is put back on. It can be used to paint vertex color by brush/noise. It can also be used to generate noise soft selection. To use this tool, you need to select the mesh and toggle it to vertex color mode by using the Mesh List tool under mesh mode.

Thanks!

[Edit]: I have just found a bug. If an symmetrical object in sudivision is refined(or collapsed), the symmetry info will not be correct for the new mesh, so the new mesh must be go through a symmetry cut again, otherwise any symmetry related operation may cause the programe to crash. Sorry about this.
  • IStonia
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    Just another update of new improvements and bug fixings. Hope you find it usefull.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Sept-20.rar
    Summary of changes
    * Edit > Save Scene
    Edit > Save Scene As
    Edit > Merge Scene
    Edit > Export > .obj
    Note: When exporting an object which is composed of more than two seperate objects, under Object Mode, select all the objects, hit the Combine button to combine all the object into one single object, then eport it.
    * Viewport sizes are adjustable.
    * Polygon A and H tool's LMB and RMB function swapped.
    * Some unspecified changes, improvements and bug fixings.

Thanks!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hey IStonia, any word on getting tools like inset/connect working in realtime? Thats the big improvement been looking for each time a new build comes out lately.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Icarusss wrote: »
    Hey elte this software has big potential but instead if reinventing wheel I really advice to look how Silo 2 is done - if you could clone Silo 2 feature set with its customization options but without bugs you could go commercial with VW and I would first to buy.
    I'm really annoyed by NeverCenter 'please get lost pal' policy towards their customers so new ships is needed for Titanic passengers.

Look into Silo 2, Modo and Hexagon 2.5 for great ideas.A hybrid between Silo and Hexagon would be a Modo killer.

Thank you for ur suggestion. Although I myself haven't try how hexagon work, I would give it a try. We're improving the software and need inputs. Thank you :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Hey IStonia, any word on getting tools like inset/connect working in realtime? Thats the big improvement been looking for each time a new build comes out lately.

Polyhertz: Do you mean the segments in extrusions? If not, can you elaborate?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, thats exactly what I'm referring to. When using connect, inset, or even changing segments on primitives you dont see the change update in the viewport until the user accepts the changes (no preview at all).
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    lStonia, A question, why seperate the export and save dialogs? Silo merges the two and its really a nice way to work. there is no import/export.. just load and save. Make you internal format the default and let people choose obj if they want it.
  • ubiq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I start VW, minimize it, and try to use another program(browser or play video) the other program slows down or freezes completely. Running VW even freezes my wimpy starfield screensaver. When I shut down VW all other programs return to normal operation. I'm running xp with a vanilla nvidia card. Please keep up your hard work on VW as I agree it has possibilities. Thanks!
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyhertz: Please give me the names of those tools. I will have a look at them and hopefully I may be able to make some improvements.

r_flecth_r: When exporting to an obj file, there could be mulityple objects in the scene and you may only want to export one of them. So a seperate exporting entry may provide flexible.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Silo has a 'save selected' option along with save and load which lets you save as a silo file or any other supported format containing only the current selection.

I know i keep harping on about silo but its the most streamlined and enjoyable program I've ever used, It's all the little things that keep the UI simple and concise and the thoughtfully designed context sensitive tools that make it so damn good.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Max has save/export selected too and it's extremely useful.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    As does Maya...pretty standard feature these days.

+1 on silo being an influence. If you can get the flow, customisation and minimalism of silo along with the useful stuff from other packages (mainly deformers, as far as I'm concerned), then you're on to a winner. Lots of real-time feedback as polyhertz mentioned above and plenty of context-sensitive commands/hotkeys.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I will merge the import/export into load/Save.
    Thaks for the tasty encouragement, cheeseOnToast.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Seems like there's a lot of potential in this, but it's not quite there yet.

Was messing around and I believe I found a bug ( or it could just be me not noticing something ) - If you combine two objects you cannot hold shift to select multiple individual edges/verts/faces back and forth between the two. Doing so will cause the selection on the newly combined object to cancel. Shift+box selecting works, it's shift+individual face select that will fail.

Here's a step by step bug replication:

-Create two Boxes
    -Press combine
    -click on one face on one of the boxes.
    -Hold shift and attempt to click on one face from the other box.
    -Observe the screen
  • sebazone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 on silo being an influence. If you can get the flow, customisation and minimalism of silo along with the useful stuff from other packages (mainly deformers, as far as I'm concerned), then you're on to a winner. Lots of real-time feedback as polyhertz mentioned above and plenty of context-sensitive commands/hotkeys.
    Agreed. Silo 2 is great.
    Can you make a GUI like this?
    graphite1.pnggraphite2.png

Is a Jdownloader Theme. The name is "Substance Raven Graphite". Very similar to Maya 2011.

Keep the good work. (excuse my english)
  • sebazone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Silo 2 is great.
    Can you make a GUI like this?

graphite1.png
    graphite2.png

Is a Jdownloader Theme.. The name is "Substance Raven Graphite". Very similar to Maya 2011.

Keep the good work. (excuse my english)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah: Your are right, switch selection currently doesn't work acorss meshes, and maybe other selections as well. I will fix that. Thanks!
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Sebazone I really like the color scheme and the structure.. kinda like QT in maya. I always got an impression from friends that this software looks old and not flexible, especially when we resize the window. I believe a good interface and look will give good first impression on the software itself.

I would love to see VW get UI revamped but I guess that's gonna be lots of works.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I'm all for ui revamp, but there should be two things before: stabilty and features. cause if the ui is done before feature set is amost complete, it will go the 3dc way: nice at first then cluttered menu each time new functions are added= mess.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I'm all for ui revamp, but there should be two things before: stabilty and features. cause if the ui is done before feature set is amost complete, it will go the 3dc way: nice at first then cluttered menu each time new functions are added= mess.

Agreed. Im still not sure on some features and what we should expect. For instance, are there any plans to add Modifiers like from Max? Having the non-destructive workflow they provide would make voidworld much more appealing.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Agreed. Im still not sure on some features and what we should expect. For instance, are there any plans to add Modifiers like from Max? Having the non-destructive workflow they provide would make voidworld much more appealing.

Agreed, but before going into huge plans like that, there's still work to be done on the streamline engine with a few tools.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. And on that note,

Istonia: Here are some vids showing some of the differences between max and voidworld tools

Segments
    Inset
    connect

These are all recorded with the techsmith codec. You can get it here if your player cant run them: http://download.techsmith.com/ensharpen/win/ensharpendecoder_win.exe
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Since I mentioned context-sensitive hotkeys earlier, I had a thought. How about in addition to silo-style hotkeys, a (user defined) modifier key that would open the tool's options? For example, you set "m" as a context-sensitive key for merge object, collapse edge, merge vertice or target weld. By hitting [shift]+m you instead bring up the options for that tool, dependent on context. Does that make sense?

And about the UI, as people have mentioned it's not a priority yet. BUT, when I first opened VW, my immediate reaction was "WTF, this is Max". I've always thought Max had one of the unfriendliest-looking UIs (although Maya is not far behind). Some design sensibilties from some newer software couldn't hurt.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyhertz: Thaks for the videos, it helps me alot.

CheeseOnToast: [use modifier key + short cut tool key] to redirect short cut action is a greate idea. I plan to use this to open the button tool that is relative to the short cut tool instead of activate the short cut tool.

At the meantime, can't afford to put much time on the visual ui thingy. I need to focus at workflow and functionality issues. But any idea i will keep in mind. Thanks guys!
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is a cool idea, especially basing it around Silo. I bought Silo, and I feel that if you're going to use Tweak, then it should really be mapped to the Control key instead of the T key like Modo.

This way, you can just hold control to tweak and still be near the alt key to navigate the viewport. Holding T for tweak isn't intuitive, which is one reason I didn't like tweak in Modo.

Seems okay so far. Still a long way to go before I'd drop Silo.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing with the program more and I'm starting to like it. It has a long way to go though...

...a few things I've noticed so far is:

1. Weld does not work across combined meshes. Weld works with verts on one mesh, but if you try to weld a vert to a combined mesh's vert, it doesn't work.

2. Snapping is subpar at best. I can get snap to grid fairly okay, but it's not great. I can't get a vert to snap to another vert on the same mesh even if snap to vertex is enabled.

3. What's going on with symmetry? Every time I try to add symmetry to an object, I can get it to work, but it's always one mesh, meaning I can't move a vert on one side and it automatically work on the other side.

I'm not sure if you know these things or not, but thought I'd give a heads up just incase. It could be a really good app.
  • Icarusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @elte

Take a good look on Hexagon 2.5, it's next to Modo one of the best and easiest hardsurface modeling application.It doesnt have fancy Modo deformers but basic tools are better than in Modo.

What I love in Hex is SHIFT=snap, it's very easy, you choose where to snap like points,edge,half edge etc press SHIFT and it will snap to it.

Another cool stuff in Hex are they extrude tools - it;s few tools in one, you can extrude,inset and move with the same tool - just different handles for that.

Doing mirror is extremly easy in Hex, it displays you box around object and you just click a face to mirror, or with SHIFT snap you can very easy and fact mirror object to the second side.There is also align tool which use same box to align it's super cool.

In Hex you can quickly turn splines into pipes with one click with thickness tool.

I could talk hours how great is Hex what is not great is lack of customization Silo has, in Silo you can mouse actions and colors for almost everything you can even set how big vertex or edge is suppose to be (this is super cool)

A genetic cross between Silo and Hexagon would best modeler even created !
  • kfc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kfc
    hey dude,
    Leonarce has just introduce me your app.
    I've played around it for 5 mins and found out a bug immediately.

extrude edge from open edges on a plane works.
    but creating a new box object and delete a face, extrude edge from the open edge doesn't work here.
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mentioned earlier that you should map the Tweak command to CTRL, well you can and I did it...so I really like the keymap options so far.

Unfortunately, by mapping my Tweak to the CTRL key, it totally bugs the CTRL Z undo function. It shouldn't do this. I know you're probably sick of the Silo comparison, but if it works that way in Silo, it should be able to work in VoidWorld.

I hope you continue your efforts to create this application because it is really user-friendly, and it's really a fast modeler.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Its been another hard work for the last two weeks. Finally got something done.

http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Oct-02.rar

Summary of changes
    * Import/Export are merged into Load/Save
    * Primitive real time preview while parameter adjusting implemented. Each input control has a drag control next to it. Which can be LMB dragged to adjust parameter value.
    * Inset/Extrude/Bevel/Hinge preview improved. Select a polygon, open the button Inset tool, click the preview button, LMB drag up/down in the scene or in the inset input drag control to adjust the inset value, close the tool or hit a number key to finish it.
    * Edge Connect preview improved. Make sure the mesh is at subdivision level 0, open the edge button Connect tool, move the cursor over a ring edge, one or more preview cut lines will appear, keep the cursor over the edge and rotate mouse wheel to change the segment setting.
    * Edge Loop Insert preview improved. In edge mode, select some ring edges, right click the "Loop Insert" button to bring up the preview dialog, adjust the value in the dialog and see the preview in real time.
    * Vertex can be snapped to subcomponents of the same object.
    * Tweak tool can be mapped to "Ctrl" key. If do so, the selection hot keys "Ctrl + Shift"/"Ctrl"/"Shift" must be remapped to something like "Shift"/"Alt + Shift"/"Ctrl + Shift" to avoid using "Ctrl" alone.
    * A mesh Combine tool is added. It combines selected meshes into one single mesh. Welding and sysmmetry operation works within same mesh only, so this new tool may help. To seperate a mesh into multy meshes, use the polygon Detach tool.
    * A hot key redirect modify key is added, default key is "Caps Lock". It redirects the hot key action to another action, currently only works with streamline tools. e.g. under polygon mode, "Caps + A" will open polygon extrude button tool.

Thanks!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    App crahs on start and if i click continue it gets stuck on the loading screen.

Error message: input string was not in correct format.

Log:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    at System.Number.ParseSingle(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    at System.Single.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
    at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.NTxtPair..ctor(TextBox txt, PictureBox ptx, Int32 integerPlaces, Int32 decimalPlaces, Boolean allowNegative, OnValueChanged onValueChanged)
    at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.BoxParamControl..ctor(AnimationDesignForm mainForm, BodyModControl parent)
    at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.BodyModControl..ctor(AnimationDesignForm mainForm)
    at DigitalFossil.AnimationDesign.AnimationDesignForm..ctor(Boolean supressed, Form startForm, String prodName, String version, String formatVersion, Int32 startWidth, Int32 startHeight, FormWindowState startWindowState)
    at DigitalFossil.StartForm.GenerateApp()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    VoidWorld 2.4
    Assembly Version: 2.3.3927.36590
    Win32 Version: 2.3.3927.36590
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/VoidWorld%202.4.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    CharacterClasses
    Assembly Version: 2.3.3927.36579
    Win32 Version: 2.3.3927.36579
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/CharacterClasses.DLL
    WorkShop
    Assembly Version: 2.3.3927.36587
    Win32 Version: 2.3.3927.36587
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/WorkShop.DLL
    BasicD3DClasses
    Assembly Version: 2.3.3927.36581
    Win32 Version: 2.3.3927.36581
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/BasicD3DClasses.DLL
    Microsoft.DirectX
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1901.0
    Win32 Version: 5.3.0000001.1126 built by: DIRECTX
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/Microsoft.DirectX.DLL
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.DLL
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Beatkitano/Desktop/Void/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.
  • IStonia
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok it's working now.

I will note down what's bothering me now :)

-The obj save is not working properly, i can't get a real mesh in silo, it opens fine but no geometry is visible, it works in max. You should check that out, it doesn't matter for silo since your app is gonna kick the sh*t of it and it will be obsolete soon (take that nevercenter !), but it may be a problem for other apps.

-Vertex sliding (G) is not behaving the way it should by default the edge slide input mouse movement on selection hilighting, in vertex mode you have to click.

-When creating primitives from the buttons (not marking menu), you have to click again on the button, it's not user friendly since the wireframe is visible, and the "create" button is greyed out): could be interpreted as the object created but in wireframe mode (it happened the first time for me). It should be done when you click create.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I finally took my time to test it, i kinda like it, hopefully it gets a new UI after all features are added :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! SpeCter

Beatkitano: I can't produce the symptom you mentioned about obj. Maybe its a scale issue. Can you check with the scene editor.
    Also, I want to track down what exactly causes the crash. Can you run this built? It will throw out a debug message.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Oct-02b.rar
    thanks!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says:

SS-2010-10-02_14.55.55.jpg

Hope it helps (not sure ahah)

But it's working after click ok.

For the obj bug, i can't use it in silo, tried to scale it in both software, no luck. It loads fine in 3ds max though.

Also, when will we see the edge collapse ? At the moment that's the only thing I can think of that I miss from silo in the modeling toolset. You could probably do it simply by converting the edge to vertex selection and weld it.

-Delete should work like many other tools: slection hilighting should be enough to do it.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beatkitano: Its simple, that means 8 digits before floating point and 4 digits after floating point. When the programe tries to parse "99999999.9999" text string into a floating point value, it failed in your computer. Don't know why. Can you create a box or something with a floating point input dimension? like a sphere with radius = 50.5
    Also, any chance you can post over an exported obj file sample, a simple object that you can't open well in Silo would do as all the ones I exported works well.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The error message is at program start, but after that all is working fine, floating point value are not a problem.

Here's a box, it opens back fine in vw but definetely not in silo.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beatkitano: It is the scale thing. I opened the box in VW and I noticed that the box is very very very very big.
    I opened the Object List tool in object mode and found the size of the box is (217753300 x 265959800 x 358840700).
    I scaled it down and exported and the file can be opened in Silo.
    In VW, can you click the grid image button in the vertical tool bar on left hand side of the window. That will open the "Floor Grid Setting" dialog, you can adjust the floor scale here. The floor scale default value is 1. Depending on the modelling space you like to work with, you can adjust this value. Compare to Silo default setting, this scale value should be 0.1.

[Edit]: If the box was exported from VW. There could be a possiblity that the character "." has been replaced by "," in your computer system. That may also explain the startup crash, since 99999999.9999 becomes 99999999,9999
    This is a new issue.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have to tell me exactly what you did to open it in silo because I'm trying here, all I see is the gizmo telling me something is here (could be a point though), but no luck to see the actual mesh :>

What is even weirder is that i can't open silo objs in voidworld, are you sure it's not some component (like vert normals or things like that) not correctly interpreted between the two ?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update, a number of the things I've been looking forward to getting implemented made it in :)

One problem however is that I cant see verts anymore whether they're selected or not...

Connect is on the right track, but it still needs pinch, and a way to force segments to be equal distance from a specified side of the ring being connected (see Split Ring in IllusionCatalyst). It also seems to only work on complete rings ignoring user selection completely. If no edges are selected its fine to have it auto ring connect, but if two or more edges are selected connect should only work on them.

Slide also needs to be updated, I believe its already been mentioned by a few people though.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beatkitano: I opened your box obj file and I saw this vertex position presentation
    v -29,849490 0,000015 314,905100
    while the correct format should be
    v -29.849490 0.000015 314.905100
    I suspect that the .net frame work default culture in your computer is France. If not specified, the programe will use the local computer's culture settings. So I add a line of code to force the programe to use US culture. Hope that would fix.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-Oct-03.rar

Polyhertz: Can you click the view label top-right of a viewport to bring up a context menu, I suspect that the Show vertices option is off. To connect selected ring edges, please use the "Loop Insert" tool, the button is under edge mode, select the ring edges then right click that button. Can you elaborate about the "Slide" tool. Do you mean I should remove the vertex slide and path selection function from it?
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decent update Kun. I emailed you the list I came up with. :)

One thing I forgot to include was that bevel really seems nothing more than scale. I press the key and perform the action and all it really does is scale the polygon smaller or larger. That's not really what I'm accustomed to with beveling. If I wanted to make my polygon larger or smaller, I'd just use the scale tool. There's no need for anything else that does the same thing.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may have misunderstood the bevel purpose. But that tool is actually not a scaling. May be the tool you are expecting is the chamfer tool F. If not, Can you elaborate?
  • Kris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out that I have to use RMB to add the extra bevel thing. All I was doing was holding S then adjusting, which only scales the polygon.

I will make a video for you concerning what you replied to me in email, although Im not sure how you're getting weld and bridge to work across two meshes even after combined. I'll definitely make a video, because its not working. Perhaps Im not doing it right, but its working on one mesh after combined, but not across both.

**edit. Okay...so BRIDGE HOLES bridges between two meshes, but a simple bridge between an edge on one mesh and an edge on the other mesh does not work. Thats misleading. I would think I can hold D and go from one edge to the other and it work if both are combined meshes.

Weld does not work in this way either.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kris: Yeah, I can make the Weld tool and Bridge tool behave as the the same as BridgeHoles tool, so when you try to work across meshes, it will combine the meshes together automatically.

Polyhertz: I went to IllusionCatalyst website and checked out their splitRing feature. The constant distance SplitRing is their experimental feature. In VW, within edge connect tool, if the "fixed length" option is used and number connections is 1, you can do the samething.[Edit]: If number connections is 1 and MMB click, it will cut through edge middle point.