Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retarded Camel Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
i recently had a week at uni where we made a mod called ' thats not your camel ' More info on the moddb page here

i was one of the npc and animal leads but mainly i modelled my retarded camel concept
retardedcamelinacartwithafezonhisch.jpg
base mesh
retardclay.jpg
high poly
highretard.jpg
completed asset
retardedcamelpres.jpg
in engine (udk)
LightCamel.jpg

took 3 days start to finish to model and texture the camel

its probably my favourate creation in 3D - comments appreciated

Replies

• polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    Hah, thats hilarious. Love it
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The concept was super hard for me to read at first in the face...I had to study the model and keep looking back at the concept, but that's probably just my own idiocy

This idea is nothing short of awesome lol...I feel like the humps could be a bit more pronounced, and that flag is super small.

Aside from that, the only other thing I have to say is, isn't he a retarded, crazy camel? I mean, he is in a straight jacket, it implies crazy ;)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow great character, really got a chuckle out of this one.

Spark
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    That's a really funny idea. What does the text on the straight jacket thingy say btw?
  • Isocadia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 word: Awesome xD

Isocadia
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic :) keep it up stafford guys !
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Haha. Nicely done. My only complaint is the gravity-defying fez hat. It's just a little too over the top for me.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I read the title of this thread and thought it would have something to do with Belias. I can always hope that he's still out there somewhere...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    More like insane when I saw the jacket, nonetheless a nice concept, what could help with bringing out the character some more is that you could mange him up a bit by ruffling him up.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't appreciate you making fun of such majestic creatures.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    polygoo wrote: »
    Hah, thats hilarious. Love it

Cheers :)
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    The concept was super hard for me to read at first in the face...I had to study the model and keep looking back at the concept, but that's probably just my own idiocy

This idea is nothing short of awesome lol...I feel like the humps could be a bit more pronounced, and that flag is super small.

Aside from that, the only other thing I have to say is, isn't he a retarded, crazy camel? I mean, he is in a straight jacket, it implies crazy ;)

i did do a few other sketches of just the head, and i had a clear image of how i wanted it to look so the concept was just there for quick proportions

i may do some more work to it, the humps do need a little more definition and i would like to make the flag bigger, he also is a little small in engine but i will ask the team to address that

cheers
    Spark wrote: »
    Wow great character, really got a chuckle out of this one.

Spark

Thanyou :D
    Goraaz wrote: »
    That's a really funny idea. What does the text on the straight jacket thingy say btw?

it says Psych Ward in arabic (google translate win) and the band around his fez says ' a camel is not just for christmas ' :P
    Isocadia wrote: »
    1 word: Awesome xD

Isocadia

Cheers :P
    catstyle wrote: »
    fantastic :) keep it up stafford guys !

thankyou, your tip with the green channel from the normal map in the diffuse makes such a difference, thanx again for coming down for the demo :D!
    Haha. Nicely done. My only complaint is the gravity-defying fez hat. It's just a little too over the top for me.

i imagine it as more of a dribble recepticle, and is probably glued on for his own safety :poly128:
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I read the title of this thread and thought it would have something to do with Belias. I can always hope that he's still out there somewhere...

ok...i dont know of a Belias but i hope you find each other soon
    pliang wrote: »
    More like insane when I saw the jacket, nonetheless a nice concept, what could help with bringing out the character some more is that you could mange him up a bit by ruffling him up.

i was going to add some more grime detail and make his fur a bit more tatty but the theme for the game was quite tf2/cartoony style and tried to keep the diffuse fairly clean, and after the engine shader was applied small details like that might have been lost, but i am tempted to do another version where i make some more geometry for his fur and have random tufts etc.. protruding from his neck to make him look a bit more bedraggled
    I really don't appreciate you making fun of such majestic creatures.

i was just making what i was told, true i got a bit carried away with the theme but it was just for a laugh,

Disclaimer - no camels were hurt during the making of this mod

:)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    One can only imagine the epic drinking session in which the concept was conceived! My only crit is that camel looks a bit like a dragon since his features have been exaggerated. Maybe make the hump a lot more, er... 'humpier'