Replies

• Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a solid start.

Some quick tips:

- Don't render on a black background
    - Use a material that better shows specular highlights
    - Research a better lighting setup, the absolute simplest form being some kind of skylight with ambient, a key directional/spot light, and a kicker light (from behind to make the edges stand out a bit, helps the silhouette pop.
    - Watch out that your edges aren't too tight, some of them are, and when baking down to a normalmap (depending on the resolution), you'll most likely either lose those edges completely (they'll be visibly just hard). A good way to see how they should be is... once you have a nicer material and light setup, you can easily zoom the viewport out to roughly the distance that it's most likely going to be viewed from in the majority of situations, and see how they hold up.

Keep going mate, looks to be promising. :)

Oh... and are the normals on that trigger inside out? YOU CANT FOOL ME
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Electro wrote: »
    Looks like a solid start.

Some quick tips:

- Don't render on a black background
    - Use a material that better shows specular highlights
    - Research a better lighting setup, the absolute simplest form being some kind of skylight with ambient, a key directional/spot light, and a kicker light (from behind to make the edges stand out a bit, helps the silhouette pop.
    - Watch out that your edges aren't too tight, some of them are, and when baking down to a normalmap (depending on the resolution), you'll most likely either lose those edges completely (they'll be visibly just hard). A good way to see how they should be is... once you have a nicer material and light setup, you can easily zoom the viewport out to roughly the distance that it's most likely going to be viewed from in the majority of situations, and see how they hold up.

Keep going mate, looks to be promising. :)

Oh... and are the normals on that trigger inside out? YOU CANT FOOL ME

OMFG they are inside out! must have been an importing error when I put it into Max from Xsi.

I tried to loosen the control edges a fair bit on this, are there any places that stick out as being too tight?

Whats the best way to set up a scene for rendering a high poly model?
  • duxun
    your modeling is coming along... its great !!!... just one thing thats bothering me is the handle is a bit too fat.. yes i see that the concept is like that but it just feels fat.. other than that keep on trucking!!!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm really not sure where the clip or ammo is supposed to go, but then I'm not one for realism at any level so, whatever! :P