• Atheistsoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just slap a danger_explosive_material.gif on the side of it. =D
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just slap a on the side of it. =D

what if we mixed this. with the headshot icon?

95915244.png
  • ChromeE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »

95915244.png
    YES
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

95915244.png

This10 this100, a million times yes.
  • Al Capwn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Engie's overalls have a nice, dark team color.
  • CrazyChicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg....the original Grenade launcher is modeled after the M79 Launcher!

I know silly :P I meant I wanted to see someone in the contest make one. Most of the demoman weapons I saw were cannons and I was looking forward to grenade launcher from someone, and Swizzle did ;)

On topic I love the melee weapon keep up the good work :)
  • soso188
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the previous statements that that adhesive sign is very fitting to your custom weapon design,
    altho it could also say
    warning : HEAD ESPLONSIONS
  • The Patriot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you tell me what tools you are using,so that i am sure im on the right track?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chickenman wrote: »
    Put a sticker on it that says "for maximum exploded awesomeness, increase FOV."
    I would like this, but perhaps small and hidden on the other side of the grenade so you wouldn't see it in first person.

It would be an easter egg similar to the Halo Hippo, in that you would only see it if you went looking for it :O
    http://www.eeggs.com/items/50860.html
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    95915244.png

WARNING! Your head might explode due to extremely high amounts of pure awesomeness contained within this item!

Seriously, this is total win.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Simski:
    I tried a couple of team color variations, but I didn't really like how they looked. I'm going to play around with them a little more, probably, but the plan right now is to just have it neutral colored.

Norron:
    Yeah, if I go with team colors, it'll definitely look like chipped paint.

Snowloss:
    I've considered doing something with stripes, so we'll see what happens.

CrazyChicken:
    You mean in TFC? I've only played it a little bit, so I don't remember.

chickenman:
    Tempting...

henroast:
    Thanks. I'm not quite sure about the green either, but I've yet to come up with a better alternative since the team colors look a little weird on it.

Al Capwn:
    They do indeed. I'll try it and see how it looks.

The Patriot:
    I'm using Modo for modeling, Milkshape for import/export and Photoshop for texturing.

Atheistsoul, Psyke, ChromeE, Nerdlights, DKK, soso188, Simski, Mad Mike:
    I tried out putting a stencil of the explosion sticker on there because I think it's a pretty funny idea.
    oIRun.jpg
    There are some problems with it, though. First and foremost is that it doesn't read well from any sort of distance whatsoever. The only person who would notice anything beyond a blob on the end of the grenade would be the player holding it.
    Second, it simply doesn't fit the style of TF2. There are very few instances on models where you can see things like labels with text. Even then, though, they're usually logos and not warnings or something, and the text is usually large enough that it's pretty readable.
    I'm afraid the warning label just isn't going to work, funny as it would be.

So I got bored with working on the grenade and decided to get to work on the model of the grenade launcher. The model's almost finished. I just need to adjust the position and size of a couple of things and I'll be there.
    4HAcf.jpg

I threw it into the model viewer to see how it looks and I think it's coming along nicely. The model doesn't quite line up with the bones properly yet, but that can be fixed easily.

This isn't really UV mapped, by the way. I just did a planar projection of the entire thing onto the UV space so I could get some solid colors down instead of having that damned purple and black checkerboard.
    p25vY.jpg
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome iron sights :P ( gloat )
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I'm liking it. Do you think you could throw up a side view of the model with wires? I'd like to see how you made that sucker.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like that warning label...If only we knew whether or not VALVE would like it...
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread restores my faith in the Demoman after the debacle that was the WAR update. This is totally what Valve should've made for the Demo.

I applaud your work sir, and I hope this makes it into the game.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chickenman:
    I think they are too.

Norron:
    Your wish is my, well, not really command, but certainly strong suggestion.

jgoodroad:
    I'm currently operating on the idea that it wouldn't fly. It just turns into a blob at the distances players usually are from each other.

Boylee:
    Thanks!

I'm pretty much finished with the modeling stage for this sucker. I still have a small amount of cleanup to do, but it's mostly to do with smoothing errors.

These textures are nowhere near finished yet. They're solid base colors with AO. It definitely doesn't have a spec map yet.
    oRwJ7.jpg
    w3GE7.jpg

And high res wires by request:
    7T1CN.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! Thanks for the wires.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You know I gotta say, I'm kind of liking it in ambassador silver better.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Great work swizzle, can we see it in first person view?
  • Djokson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God, you are fast, did you think about squeezing a third pack into these time constraints?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FUCK YES THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

I want that launcher, NOW D:
  • CrazyChicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle
    Well I was talking about the TF2 one, maybe its not but I thought it was a M79 with a rotation barrel but the old TFC grenade launcher was the M79 grenade launcher. But Valve did change it later and made look like this one.

Also keep up the good work with the weapon I love the way they look :D
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    I think that's really all you need. I see too many people going crazy with the broken and damaged weapons when a little custom modifications like a grip is just fine.
    How to make tf2 weapons better, Add grips :D
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this rate you could do another 2 packs...you're a maniac!
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inb4 swizzle win it all.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2: The swizzle update, coming soon
  • soso188
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just dont make a sniper or engy one please? i want at least a chance to win(if you do tho, go with a old west style theme, for engy, it fits him. and no-one else is doing it)
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am enjoying those skewed proportion iron sights.
  • nex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nex
    you have done one support class and one defensive class...its time for one offensive class (scout,soldier,pyro)...

can i haz pyro?
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may have missed a post, but I don't think Swizzle has a 3rd item just yet. If however everything is completed and squared away and if the stars align and a 3rd park is made and you're looking for suggestions, I'd love to see what you'd do with Heavy Weapons Guy.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Criminy. I leave this alone for a little while and it blows up all of a sudden.

Norron:
    No problem!

Karkasmolenklok:
    Really? I dunno, silver just doesn't seem to fit the look.

larolaro:
    I haven't got the first-person viewmodel working yet, but I'll try to get it done before I'm done with this.

Djokson:
    I have thought about it. And I came to the conclusion that it'd be absolutely, positively 100% insane and impossible. I still need to put all the finishing touches on the medic pack and submit it, and I still haven't even started on the third item for the demo. Considering that I only have 18 days left and this entry is nowhere near finished, it'd just be laughably stupid to try my hand at a third entry.

Simski:
    Haha, thanks. If my stuff doesn't actually get in, I'll be sure to release them on FPSBanana or something.

CrazyChicken:
    I think the TF2 grenade launcher is actually based on the M32. It has a similar design, but I think they most certainly drew inspiration from the M79 as well.

Ikimono:
    Not just grips, but tape grips.

Khthon:
    Dear god, no. I'd have a stress-induced aneurysm and turn into a vegetable.

chickenman:
    At first they were very square and regular and they looked like absolute crap. So I pulled some verts around and like magic they suddenly looked better. Amazing!

To the rest of you:
    Thanks and I'm not doing a third pack. I've other stuff on my plate that needs my attention. I want to do other projects that aren't TF2-related.

I've made headway on the textures. Nothing final, but certainly progress:
    YpkpK.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those scuffs really help...
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah your'e damn fast. It looks soo hot.
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing Swizz, it's always a pleasure to see what you come up with. This one's a winner! What's the third object gonna be?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmer down there Buck. It isn't hot it's on fiyah!
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So full of win!
  • 4_Thirty_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Criminy, Swiz. This stuff looks epic.
  • Moribund
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have names in mind yet?
    Is the grenade launcher going to be something like the "Loch and Load"?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That stock needs silly demoman themed stickers and imagery. No idea why, it just does.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon, Graff Pirate, 4_Thirty_5:
    Thanks!

jgoodroad:
    I hope so. I don't want to overdo them, but I don't want it looking plastic and pristine, either.

Buck:
    While I am pretty fast, I'm also unemployed at the moment. That helps with having time to get stuff done. I'm hoping that getting this stuff done will help change the whole unemployed thing, though.

Hotdogbunker:
    I'm going to make a helmet like the ones bomb disposal guys wear, or at least one that's similar. I don't really like the look of most of the face shields they have, so I'm probably going to change it fairly significantly.

Moribund:
    Dear god, that's amazing. The Loch and Load. I'm using that. You're a genius!

Norron:
    I'd thought about it, except there are a few reasons I probably wouldn't want to. First and foremost is that the texture resolution is simply crap for small, detailed stuff like that. Another is that the stock is mirrored and any stickers or carvings I put on it would be backwards on one side.

I'm about ready to call this sucker done. I should get a move on; I still need to finish up the grenade and start on the helmet.
    V2oK1.jpg
    rIQSn.jpg
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job !

Impressive shape and nice texture especially with a 512 texture !

Could be nice to enderstand how the " cross " of the gun is attached to the metal body , with a screw or anything els, but anyway, great job :)
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    looking mighty hefty :D
    if only i could steal and eat your artist brain :o~~

i don't know you just got that whole tf2 nailed from head to toe. absolutely brillant work !
  • Blueplastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the texture...looks like TF2 texturer made it :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Great work on this one Swizz, definitely the best item you've made so far during the comp and the one I would most like to see in game.:)

You did really well with the brush strokes on the wood and metal in this one. A lot better than on the needle gun and other previous weapons. Keep it up!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - psst!- he's tryin to make ya doubt yourself and spend more time on previous entries therefore missing the deadline, don't fall for it!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ithoual:
    I'm not sure what you mean by the cross. Are you talking about the stock?

Acumen, Blueplastic:
    Thanks!

Frump:
    I've been looking pretty closely at the texture for the default grenade launcher, so that's contributed to the more well defined look.

ScudzAlmighty:
    I need to put some finishing touches on the medic pack anyway and I still have just over two weeks, so I should be fine. I'm moving along pretty well with this stuff, so I'll probably have everything done and submitted by (hopefully) late next week.

Since I'm still not in the mood to work on the grenade and I still haven't started on the helmet, I thought it'd be a good idea to get something done about that "haven't started on the helmet" thing. Here's the problem, though:

EOD helmets look super boring and they're absolutely huge.

Those are two things that simply won't work for this. The first won't work because, well, they're boring. The second won't work for more practical reasons. Specifically, the demoman has a big collar on his EOD suit that would clip with a helmet the size of a normal EOD helmet. The solution? Better helmets.

These are just a few random ideas while I warm up. I'm liking the look of open-face motorcycle helmets.
    Zh2TX.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I like 2 and 5 the best, although 5 is a bit too similar to one of the CT characters in Counter-Strike.
  • Xenu's Paradox
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of 3 (mouth mask, goggle/face cover not in use). Maybe the goggles from 5 but flipped up like the face cover in 3.
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Khthon wrote: »
    I like the idea of 3 (mouth mask, goggle/face cover not in use). Maybe the goggles from 5 but flipped up like the face cover in 3.

+1.