Home General Discussion

Moving to Seattle (looking for a roommate)

Filbot
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Filbot polycounter lvl 12
If all goes well I will be moving to Seattle around August for 6 months to a year to attend FUTUREPOLY and look for a job. Anyone need a roommate for a couple of months?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Futurepoly is in Bellevue, not Seattle. Though you can get a room in Seattle, I would strongly suggest getting something closer.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    ...it's a 10 minute drive?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a good day, and only if you live at the leading water edge of Seattle (whilst most rooms are more central). Dont forget they are going to start tolling this fall for at least one of the bridges.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So then it's a 15 minute drive to go around? Just saying, is all. Strong suggestions should come with strong reasoning. FP is the first exit passed 405 and right off the highway.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe it is a strong reason. Stoofoo, I know you work there and all, but you must admit going Eastside is not always as easy as you imply. Im just trying to KIR. Unlike a job where at least you have income to somewhat offset the cost of transportation back and forth. Going to school will have none.

Pllllus 90% of the game studios are on the Eastside. Which will make it much easier to get to interviews.

Now, I hope my reasoning is understood and legit to inform him?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Classes are on nights and weekends. Traffic is incredibly rare at night. If it's bad, everyone is late anyway. I'm also KIR'ing. =)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I keep editing after you post. ;) How about this. Filbot. Whats your price range and do you have a car?

(Car especially, Stoofoo dont know how late you go, but going back west later at night can be a bitch for bussing. Even worse weekends.).
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is officially completely off topic now. haha. I am not looking for a roommate and I don't know anyone who is. HIGH FIVE THOUGH FILBOT. I'll see you when I see you. ;)
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    The 520 bridge can rot in hell; or at least the people that get into fender benders on it and turn what should be a 10 minute drive into a 2 hour stand still in Satan's ass crack.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 520 bridge can rot in hell; or at least the people that get into fender benders on it and turn what should be a 10 minute drive into a 2 hour stand still in Satan's ass crack.

QFT
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    We should hang out when you get up here :D

We are due for a Polycount BBQ up here...
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys are up for it I'm there.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The time for a Seattle PC meetup is growing CLOSERRRRRRR
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Everyone: thanks for the great info, beyond some of the other threads about Seattle. I will have a car provided my VW makes the trip from Cincinnati alright... (Crosses fingers), I also plan on bringing my bicycle along as well. I have not really figured out what my budget is going to be yet, I'm humping three jobs here in Cincinnati right now and saving every penny I don't blow on booze. I figured I would post on here first to see if anyone had a room or was in need of a roommate to get an idea of places to live / cost, etc.

I would love to live somewhere chill, like the hill... if I can afford it.

As soon as I get out there I am totally down for a PC meetup.

@Joe: Yeah man. Hopefully our paths will cross here soon. My longtime roommate from College, Mr. Demita, knows you... I am pretty sure, at least. He interned at Arenanet/Bungie for his last couple of CO-OPs I think he has mentioned you a couple times... haha sorry to sound like a creepster. He is the one that told me about FUTURPOLY.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ebagg wrote: »
    The time for a Seattle PC meetup is growing CLOSERRRRRRR

PC MEET UP, LETS DO IT!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know dernita, but ask him about Bill Cosby sweaters? Is it the temp!?!?
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He says he rocks the occasional Bill Cosby sweater from time to time. haha Dude thats great.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. Give Ryan some smooches for me. I miss him. <3
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm digging this thread up again. I had made some arrangements for housing while I am out in Seattle that just fell through. :( I am on the hunt again to rent a room for a few months and think it would be great to live with someone like minded as far as game art is concerned so I figured I would give a shout out here again. I am looking to find a place this week, as the situation is that classes start mid August.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I've been thinking of going to Future Poly for a while but if I end up doing it it'd definitely be later this year or next year. I'm going to be doing some research and depending on my decision I'll let you know but I doubt I'd end up going to Future Poly in August.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Hey my roomate (a programmer at my work) and I are looking to move into a house and split rent 3 maybe even 4 ways if we can find enough people. We have lived together for ever a year and half and get along really well. It would be nice to keep the place full of game developers.

I bike to work in Kirkland (Juanita Kingsgate) area so the place would need to be located there.

If someone is interested send me a PM and we can talk :)
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looking for a place and having no luck at on craigslist. It looks like I will have to physically be out there to set up arrangements to room share, or at least that is the jist I am getting from peoples emails on craigslist. I am leaving on Aug 2nd and will be arriving Aug 5th or 6th. Anyone got a couch I could crash on for a couple of days. PM me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot. I stand that you might want to look Eastside. Though if you are set on west. I will point out we are looking. Not sure your price range.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/roo/1857803751.html
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as price range I am looking for something 600/month and under.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Just thought I'd post saying I'm probably going to attend Futurepoly next Feb/March and will be looking for a room then. It's probably a bit too early to start looking but if anyone knows they'll have a room available that's not too far from Bellevue/Futurepoly I'd love to know.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    totally OT: is it possible to get a visa for doing internship in the US? (just random ideas of how one (i) could move to seattle)