Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Giant Robot WIP - Crits Please

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, been working on a robot lately. Got a decent amount of concept work to show and one high poly/low poly to receive crits on.

All of the concept work can be seen HERE on my blog. There is a good amount of images so I am only going to put the latest highpoly here.

robotlegwip3.png

robotlegwip2.png

robotlegwip1.png

The flat part at the top is where the thigh will connect to. I kinda feel like some of it is pretty flat and boring but I wasn't sure what to put on it that would look like it belongs there. Any and all critiques are welcome, and that is not the final low-poly, that was just one I whipped up to see how it would look, there a few problems with it expecially around the back.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Normally, its a good idea to block out the whole character before you go into detail on individual parts, You don't want to have to completely redo once sections because its not workings with the rest of the model, and you catch mistakes earlier on, and its easier to visual the whole character.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a full body blockout, its just only the leg that has a high poly done for it yet. Once I am back at my PC I will put up the blockout.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Normally, its a good idea to block out the whole character before you go into detail on individual parts, You don't want to have to completely redo once sections because its not workings with the rest of the model, and you catch mistakes earlier on, and its easier to visual the whole character.

3dblockoutshapes.png
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not actually the latest block out, I've done a bunch since, that was just the starting one. Still the same basic shape though.

newblockoutbody.png

Right now I am wondering how to break up yet retain the large shape in the leg with little mechnical details, and am looking at stuff from Autodestruct

UPDATE: Here is an orthographic projection of the leg so far. I am going to do some paint overs on it to try and figure out where I should go next. If anyone else wants to as well I'd totally appreciate it.

dopaintovers.png