Home General Discussion

Truth about Motivation

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was really fun and interesting thanks for sharing. The only problem is the people that need to see this, won't.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    that was really cool man, thanks for sharing :D some really great points in there, dont be discouraged by the 10 min run time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome video, really interesting and I've realized my self, once I have enough money to do the basic things I want to do, I don't really have an urge to work more, I have the urge to be more self directed and wanna master things, etc etc.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    thumbs up. It's why most of us are artists. We like getting better at something.

However, he didn't talk about punishment very much because he wants to have a very idealistic hopeful sounding lecture. But punishment is a fantastic motivator. When you have a looming deadline, that stress pushes you a lot further than if your deadline gave you tons of breathing room. There is of course a tipping point where punishment starts destroying productivity, but I think it would be interesting to examine what the best balance between the carrot and the stick really is. (of course the carrot doesn't have to be simply money, but also autonomy, satisfaction, and success.)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That was awesome and inspiring. I like purpose AND a monetary reward. :)
    At least, like he says, enough pay to make money a non-issue. I don't really NEED to get rich.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice find, thanks for sharing. I got all the motivation I need, as far as the concern goes about the money.
    The way I see it, (By just observing this very website) Freelancers/ Free-interns are really motivated personnel who would give their 110% to the work just to step in the game industry.

This video would motivate people with needs related to money Or experienced Artists who already know what they are doing and how things work in the game industry. :)
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, highly skilled technical people who have paid jobs yet contribute for free in their spare time? Polycount!

Great video.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    old was posted in the thread of awesomeness..

but a great vid nonetheless
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Great post Jacque. I found this one just as rewarding. It even goes in to talk about our wonderful Games Industry, lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    excellent video
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Very interesting video! thanks :)

edit:

Oh ok i see, blaming it on video games again.. That second video aint so interesting about half way in. :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of truth in this. I'm spending a lot of my free time right now porting a flash game engine to OpenTK. I might never make a cent off of it. But I'm determined to complete the project, if for nothing else than the intellectual challenge it provides me with. My day job is just a means to put food on the table and a roof over my head. I work as hard for that job as I have to. I work as hard for my personal projects as I possibly can.
  • ManxViking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like the second dude is a bit past negative if you ask me. I highly doubt the next adult generation will be a swarm of zombies that he seems to be suggesting, if we survived the dark ages, we'll survive the information age.

First vid is great though, it's suprising the reaction some people have when they ask what the money is like in 3D and you answer. It's just a case of "Why do it?".
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe this can be applied to game design.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting video, awesome visuals going a long with it too.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Peter Principle.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Vrav wrote: »
    Maybe this can be applied to game design.

It already is. LucasArts did this same thing where they had a day or a week where all empolyees were told to design whatever they wanted and at the end it would be presented to the compnay. Thats how Lucidity was made, it came from one of those ideas.

I know a few company's who do this after a major game release, they will ask there employees if you could have anything in the sequel or next game what would it be.

Really cool vid, thanks for the share.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    didn't the unity team have a creativity day too? where they could produce whatever they had in mind.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, companies should definitely do that - I just mean in terms of guiding a player's experience though.

Since a lot of games these days focus on "rewarding" the player for every little thing they do, maybe could make a more engaging game by following this perspective. I'm just not sure if it really applies since games don't use real money and don't provide real results (nor do they actually require you to risk your life to receive a thrill, etc).

edit: so in actually thinking about it, maybe this is WHY people play games; you get the fun of an intellectual challenge for zero reward. This can be justification for making challenging games again... to quit dumbing shit down so much, to treat the player like an intelligent being.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think it is like this: We get to choose whatever games we want to play, and we do it after our own likings, that's why we enjoy doing it without any monetary reward.

Gametesters play gamss all day too and they get paid doing it!, you might see where I'm getting at :)