Home General Discussion

How many of you guys relocated to the US to work for a company?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
can u share some detail about it?

the process and time it took

what do i need to have in order to make it work?

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    From Canada it was nearly immediate. TN Visa can be obtained at the border if you have a 4 year bachelors degree, and a company that wants to hire you.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    You say it like it's an easy thing Lonewolf. I think most companies have a filter that puts every mail outside america in the garbage bin :(

Anyway, for the right company I'd drop everything and go there instantly.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i know its very hard to get one, unfortunately :(

i dont have any degree or diploma

:(
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    From Canada it was nearly immediate. TN Visa can be obtained at the border if you have a 4 year bachelors degree, and a company that wants to hire you.

thanx, that help, is it the same from other countries too?
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had several interviews in the past 4 months with American companies, and Visa issues always came up. For the TN visa, I came up 2 years short on the 12 year requirement which some companies didn't like. One company said a visa wouldn't be a problem, but would take 8 weeks to process. Another said it would be really hard since I didn't have a shipped title to wave in front of the border workers. It's tough, but if you have a degree or a diploma + solid experience, some companies will take a look at you; you just better hope your portfolio is much more impressive than your American counterparts (mine wasn't) to make it worth their time.

In the end it worked out, I got a great job and get to stay in Canada. :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You probably have better luck getting into Canada then the US.

US has so many rules and policies, that getting hired by a company is the easy part.
    Optaining that Visa is where you will get fire.

I do not know for sure what the rules are around the bacholar degree.
    If it is a must, or for some visa types, or they just dont mind if you have a solid job offer.
    I dont have one myself so we'll see how fast ill burn.

Canada works with a point system from what i remember, and that will mean you score less in that area, but if you can score higher in other parts it can work out.

I had a good chance on a 9 month contract working on Reach bored through my skull because i was not eligiable to work in the states. Setting up a visa for that position was too much trouble to go through. (Yes, i still cry at night)

At this point i dont even think about what can go wrong visa wise.
    Im working my ass off with my portfolio and a job, and 4 weeks from now we shall see what is going to happen. I haven't found much about people doing this step, so it will be fun to report back with my exp.

Like said above, you have to compeet with local artists, and why should a company spend over a 1000 dollars for a visa and a relocation package to get someone overseas.

Do your absolute best and it will happen.
    Ill post some more once i read up on some information, or have some to share since im about to give it a shot.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I hear you Rens,

I'm pretty much degree-less, so I'm fucked, I do have plans to actually study again just to get that degree to make it more possible for me to work in the state would I get a job there.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, America's immigration policies are brutal. I'm preparing to move over there in the next couple of months on a spouse visa, and there's still a bewildering array of hoops for me to jump through. It's actually quite surprising how many people assume that I automatically qualify for citizenship (not just residency) because of my marital status - people usually gasp when I tell them it costs upwards of $3000 after a two-year wait.

As far as I'm aware, to qualify for a skilled professionals visa (or H1B), you need at least ten years' experience in your field, though the number of years your degree took to complete qualify as part of that criteria, I think.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/work.html
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I attemped this (I'm even living in LA at the moment). But unfortunately it didn't go so well and I'm heading back to Melbourne empty handed at the end of June.

I would recommend getting a top-notch folio, because without it you won't even be considered (but looking at yours, it's pretty solid). You have to compete against the cavalcade of local talent and you really need to stand out. Approximately 70% of my rejection e-mails were due to me being an international applicant.

Once you get a job offer, it's generally somewhat smooth sailing, only that it takes a bunch of time and money to go through all that paperwork and legal crap.

Best of luck, man!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    buddy of mine who now works at a very very respectable US studio had to wait 6 months, and his immigration lawyer required things that just made you go "wtf?". Like having a printed hi-gloss folio where the main point was that the folio itself looks impressive - nevermind the art inside.
    I almost imagined that they have some sort of beauty contest inside the immigration ministry where all the lawyers dance around and present the bling of their clients to impress the jury, immigration-Idol style.

personally, I gave up on the US. Yeah the big name studios are there, but it's difficult to get in and some of the workplace horror stories (60 - 80 crunch? almost no de-facto vacation) don't make it that appealing....although europe is also going down the drain right now :/

but moving itself, when I studied there, was super easy. Getting everything set up, bank acct, apartment search, etc. all super easy once you're in.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so having a good folio and big ass company being very interested in you makes it somehow easy?

even if u dont have a degree/diploma?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Nope, not really. You still ned the diploma or 10+ years of experience, or some kind of evidence that you are super-amazing-world-class-artist that cannot be found in the US. About the only way to do that as a 3d-artist is to place really high in dominancwar, etc.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i do have 10 years in the field but its all freelance and cant really prove it now

bleh

and dominance was isnt my style =\

well i guess i only have hope to grab into now
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Snefer wrote: »
    (...)About the only way to do that as a 3d-artist is to place really high in dominancwar, etc.

You are guessing here I would say.

Lonewolf, can you ask companys you worked for to write you some kind of certificate of employment or testimonial?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Man, immigration doesn't give a shit about you placing in dominance war, what companies you've worked for or anything like that. Lawyers are a very powerful tool and, with the right company, can give you some pull. I'm not sure where crazy numbers like needing 10 - 15 years to work here come from - I'm assuming it's either a big game of telephone or working in the US as a European is way way different than NAFTA countries (which I'm sure it is at least slightly...)

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding. Winning a big comp would definitely get you interest from a company that would want to pick you up and help you greatly with immigration - but - the immigration officials themselves don't care.

Get letters stating your work times from the companies you've been with - it couldn't hurt !
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    rollin wrote: »
    You are guessing here I would say.

Lonewolf, can you ask companys you worked for to write you some kind of certificate of employment or testimonial?
    Peris might be an interesting example. He won unearthly and scored a blizzard gig. It probably helped them out quite a bit! :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Gav wrote: »
    I'm not sure where crazy numbers like needing 10 - 15 years to work here come from - I'm assuming it's either a big game of telephone or working in the US as a European is way way different than NAFTA countries (which I'm sure it is at least slightly...)

It's vastly different. To qualify for the H1B, or Specialty Occupation visa, you must be able to provide evidence of a degree attained from either a United States university or foreign equivalent in addition to at least three years of experience in your field, or in the absence of a degree, preferably a minimum of ten years of relevant experience.

From an official US Dept. of State website:
    H-1B visa (specialty occupation) is required by an employee who is coming to the United States to perform services in a prearranged professional job. To qualify, the alien requires a bachelor’s or higher degree (or equivalent) in the specific specialty for which employment authorization is being sought. It is the responsibility of the USCIS to determine whether the employment constitutes a specialty occupation and whether the alien is qualified to perform the services.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/work.html

This is where the years of relevant experience come into consideration - merely having an accredited degree is not enough. Of course, every case is evaluated on its own merits, but between six (if you have a degree) and ten years of experience (if you don't) is usually what is expected from USCIS as an indication of suitable qualification for eligibility.

As you say, immigration lawyers have a great deal of pull with regards to these guidelines, but since it's difficult to apply standardized criteria to a wide variety of professionals and industries, these guidelines should give you a rough idea of what USCIS expect, but every case is different and what may work for one may not work for another.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Peris might be an interesting example. He won unearthly and scored a blizzard gig. It probably helped them out quite a bit! :)

If you can show that you're an artist with a considerable reputation and standing you can qualify for an O1 visa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-1_visa

I don't know if this is what peris did but I know a few people who have gotten these. It helps to have written articles about your games and been interviewed in the press. If you can show you're a bit of a rockstar then this visa is for you.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter

yes but with someone like blizzard in your back you really have more chances then if you just tell any immigration person that you won "uneawhat?"
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I did not need to provide evidence for 'three years experience' for my H1-B. I did, however, study in a US school and had to provide my offer letter, an official transcript and some other school related papers.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I also depends on the visa you're applying for. It's really difficult to obtain an "immigration" visa, the "non-immigration" visa are far easier and in some cases you can get one in a matter of weeks. There is a big different between the two, but primarily one is to show you have intention to work and live in the country INDEFINITELY while the other is to work and live TEMPORARILY.
    The non-immigration visas are usually for 24 months (with the option to extend), the immigration visas are valid for 6 years with the option to apply for citizenship at some point down the track. Which is why it can take up to 6 months to get one.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Interesting Info.

I never thought it would be that difficult.

Is it the same even for people from countries who do not need a tourist visa to enter US? Those people who had issues going into US which countries were they coming in from?

India has great demand for experienced digital talent on the other hand, the industry is booming and they lack experienced mentors in games. Obtaining a visa is relatively easy if you are coming from a European country, Canada or US, although because it is a lot of trouble to arrange for someone's relocation and a big responsibility, a company has to be sure that you are very good and serious at what you do.