Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - mikezoo

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
Alright; this looks like a little too much fun so I have to get involved. Looking around the forum its looking like the Demoman's getting no love so I am going to try and step up to the plate. After exploring two different themes for scottish cyclops here's what I've come up with so far.

"Gifts from the gods"
The idea here is to explore the demoman's Scottish Celtic roots and have an item pack that has a sort of "Thor" theme to it.

• Thor's Mjolnir (hammer).
  • helm with cloak.
  • replacements for Sticky/ Grenade bomb replacement (have no idea yet)

The other pack's theme revolves around the funky/soul/crime quality's of the blaxploitation genre. While most of the films in this genre were made in the 70's I feel that the time era still can fit the TF2 universe.
Most of the items would have names that reference back to the movies of the past.

• black dynamite. nunchucks that would be a melee replacement.
  • Dolemite : Grenade launcher replacement

allright. Enough talk. More art.

msvymbersky_nunchucksconcepts.jpg
Not too sure about this. It seems like it would require way to much work for it to actually get in game so it might get scraped.

some sticky + grenade concepts so far.

msvymbersky_stickyconcepts.jpg

msvymbersky_grenadeconcepts.jpg

Replies

• mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    I was curious if I could do the cloak and helm within the poly budget and texture space so I quickly created this for the possible Thor set. Polygons shouldn't be a problem.

msvymbersky_thorIdea.jpg

Anyways, not quite sure which Theme I should try and stick too. Any ideas? Love/hate?
  • pw pw pw
    With several melee options, the demoman could use a more knight-themed hat. I say go for the celtic theme.
  • Khthon
    Thor is more of a Viking thing, goes more with Soldier I think. You could look up Celtic myths if you go that route.

I think the stocks on the sticky guns would have clipping issues, and those seem to be the main feature of your designs. I'd say rethink sticky launcher designs for those reasons.

The grenade launchers - hm. Whats going on with 2? I like 3, 11, 13. The large bulkiness sounds like a good idea for the silhouette.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I like the idea of the rail system on your launcher and the grip-guard like in 4, 7, 10, 13 and 14.

Dunno what theme the nunchuks go with, unless you wanted an afro-samurai theme. You could even make a sword for it.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the ideas guys!

The more I am think about it, the more I like the possible Thor-spoof theme. I could probably pull some pretty funny things from it.

Khthon's tottaly right. Thor belongs more to the ancient Germanic people than say the Scottish. When it comes down to it though I think it could fit really well for the Demoman and into the tf2 universe.

I'll post some new concepts tomarrow morning!!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Germanic types invaded great Britain on several occasions. I can't remember my year 9 history class well enough to remember where exactly the Vikings wound up, but it's more than likely at least some of them wound up in whatever Scotland was called back then. I think it's reasonable to have a Viking theme to a Scottish character.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Vikings are Scandinavian. Nothing to do with Germany ;)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Just because we're all descended from barbarians in mud huts doesn't mean that they're all interchangeable!