Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Zai

Zai
I thought I'd try my hand at this contest.

So. The class I'm doing this for is the Pyro. I thought I would expand on the idea of the Respectless Rubber Glove (a hat for the Pyro), which looks like it was originally part of the Engy's wardrobe (and the Engy happens to be missing a glove, which supports this theory); my theme is that the Pyro is "borrowing" parts from the Engy and adding them to his own weapons (though if I run out of ideas for strictly the Engy, I can expand it to other classes)

My first idea is to make another Flamethrower, replacing parts of it with pieces from the Engy's buildings. The main difference is that the nozzle is replaced with the broken-off head of a Level 1 Sentry Gun. I'm unsure if I want to also replace the gas tank with the healing tank from a Dispenser. Mockups for comparison (without regard to scale, color, or texture):

Regular tank:
broken_sentry_flamethrower_mocku-1.png

Dispenser tank:
broken_sentry_flamethrower_mockup_1.png

Thoughts on which to use or how else I could improve the basic design before I get started? Am I headed in the completely wrong direction?

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I like it but I don't think it can be used as I believe the creations have to be created from scratch so no using parts from other models, I think.

Even so I'd like to see this submitted in general.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well he could always remodel the parts of the engis stuff but its unpractical really.
  • Zai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zai
    Orgle blorgle!

Aw, well. I'll probably end up doing the Sentry Flamethrower anyway, just putting it off until I get some stuff for the contest done.

Back to the drawing board!
  • Zai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zai
    Well. I've come up with a new theme: Dodgeball, still for the Pyro.

"How does 'Dodgeball' relate to the Pyro?" you may be asking. Well, this is not ordinary Dodgeball. This is the fan-made game mode Dodgeball. The one where rockets are spawned and home in on players, all of whom must play the Pyro and who use their airblasts to reflect the rockets, which then home in on a player of the opposing team.

"But Dodgeball is not an official game mode!" you may say. And damn it, you'd be right! But am I going to let something like that get in my way? Hell no, I'm not!

Now that we've got that out of the way, a few ideas which I shall be using:

1) For a Hat, my idea is quite simple: Make an exercise headband for the Pyro. While not specifically related to Dodgeball (the game mode or the real life version), it's quite sporty, and goes well with any sport, including setting people on fire!

2) For a Primary weapon, I shall do a Flamethrower. "How does a Flamethrower relate to Dodgeball?" you may be questioning me futilely. Well I'm going to try my manliest to make it obvious that this Flamethrower is meant to airblast! "How are you going to do that?" you may be mocking me. My answer: I don't even know yet!

3) For a Melee item, I shall be doing a rocket! "But people have already told you that you have to make your own models!" you might say, and you'd be right! And for that, I thank them greatly! My solution: I shall be making my own rocket! "But the rocket Valve made for the Soldier was quite well done!" you might scream at the top of your lungs, and you'd be right! But I have done some digging and have come up with 3 historically based designs that I like, not paying attention to their real-life size:

rocket_Silhouette.png

I am partial to the first and second myself, but I included a third for the illusion of choice! Right now I am thinking of doing the 2nd, but with a longer neck for the Pyro to hold on to, similar to that of the first. Opinions, everyone?