Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Y_M

Replies

• RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for me, definitely! and make ur saw attach to the backpack too!
    1. is awsome,
    2. it can be relate to a theme, like drain blood, or something along the line (since theres blood in the back pack)
    if i remember right, u didnt have a clear theme right? just heavy duty medic weapon or something, (correct me if i got the wrong guy D: sorry)
    but ya, vampire theme sounds cool to me.
  • Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Personally I really like the idea of connecting this up to the backpack in the same manner the regular medigun is. Do you?

(3 and 4 included incase you forgot what they looked like)

I really must stop spending so long on this stuff in my revision breaks, I have an exam in eight hours!
    Unless you want major clipping with the medic's animations, I wouldn't do the tube attaching to the backpack.

Trust me, I've attempted it before with an ubersaw replacement before and it kinda ruined it.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pie_Tony wrote: »
    Unless you want major clipping with the medic's animations, I wouldn't do the tube attaching to the backpack.

Trust me, I've attempted it before with an ubersaw replacement before and it kinda ruined it.

Couldn't it be done with custome animations though to keep the tube from clipping?

Theroretically speaking that is :poly124:
    I know that if it could be done, it would probably take a huge amount of work.
    Now to mention how most modelers here aren't too fond of doing custom animations.
  • Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Couldn't it be done with custome animations though to keep the tube from clipping?

Theroretically speaking that is :poly124:
    I know that if it could be done, it would probably take a huge amount of work.
    Now to mention how most modelers here aren't too fond of doing custom animations.

They could, as long as the needlegun/saw doesn't really move
    (which is why the medigun barely moves at all) meaning it's impractical on a melee weapon and I doubt it'll work on the current needlegun's animations.

So what I'm saying it could work on a weapon, but it'd be alot of trail and error and I doubt you'd be able to get a decent/realistic look animation at the same time.

But feel free to prove me wrong. :)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pie_Tony wrote: »
    They could, as long as the needlegun/saw doesn't really move
    (which is why the medigun barely moves at all) meaning it's impractical on a melee weapon and I doubt it'll work on the current needlegun's animations.

So what I'm saying it could work on a weapon, but it'd be alot of trail and error and I doubt you'd be able to get a decent/realistic look animation at the same time.

But feel free to prove me wrong. :)

Ah, the Blut/Syringe gun doesn't move a lot, other than it's reloading animation.

Then again, it might be a bit too much effort to make a tube for it as it may look good, or it may look terribad.
  • Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, the Blut/Syringe gun doesn't move a lot, other than it's reloading animation.

Then again, it might be a bit too much effort to make a tube for it as it may look good, or it may look terribad.
    It was our "star" feature for our replacement, and it literally broke it :(

But at the end of the day, the tube would look nice but it's one of them good ideas which can prove hard to implement.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Well custom animations is something I want to learn so the hose might be a late addition once I have.

Did you even try really loose jiggle bones? That is how I had planed to do it, model the tube in a loop dangling then have the middle on a very loose jigglebone tied to the gun itself so that the tube follows the gun mostly.

I'll do some tests before I totally dismiss the idea.
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Well custom animations is something I want to learn so the hose might be a late addition once I have.

Did you even try really loose jiggle bones? That is how I had planed to do it, model the tube in a loop dangling then have the middle on a very loose jigglebone tied to the gun itself so that the tube follows the gun mostly.

I'll do some tests before I totally dismiss the idea.

If you work it out please tell me! I'm trying to do something similar ... it's not going so well.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    If you work it out please tell me! I'm trying to do something similar ... it's not going so well.

what have you tried so far?
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    what have you tried so far?

Well not very far at all. At the moment I'm trying to work out how to attach my wire to the main weapon and a box on his side. I've but a bone in the box so it can attach to his pelvis and a bone in the main weapon. I put a bone chain in the wire so i could have it curved... and now I'm currently scouring through tutorials to find out how to make it work together :| I need it so when he animates his arm with the weapon the wire stretches with it. And then when thats figured out... making it move when he moves? I'm really not to sure :S
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A mix of 4's triangular shape and 9's barrel parts are my fave.

Connecting to the backpack would be really unique.
    theme-
    DANGEROUS MEDICINE
    /RISKY PROCEDURES

Think about it!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Khthon wrote: »
    A mix of 4's triangular shape and 9's barrel parts are my fave.

Connecting to the backpack would be really unique.
    theme-
    DANGEROUS MEDICINE
    /RISKY PROCEDURES

Think about it!

Depends how the syringegun comes out and what I pick for the melee weapon.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed that the colour scheme for the medigun replacement doesn't really match the backpack...just a thought.

They both look great though and to be honest I'm not sure if it even matters. Just thought I'd point it out.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone explain to me how to make jigglebones not be set as unused when compiling?
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone explain to me how to make jigglebones not be set as unused when compiling?

Did you added the each jiggle bones in the qc file?
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10

You've skinned your mesh to the jigglebone right?

If you're using max, select your verts and apply the skin modifier, add your jigglebone to the list of bones then select the verts you want to jiggle and then click the bone in the list and change the abs value to 1.

You also need to parent the bone itself to another, use the link tool next to the redo arrow and click+drag from the new jigglebone to the bone you want it to be a child of.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Managed to find 20 minutes between revision and panicking to do an ultra quick mock up of the needlegun. most similar to #10, the hose to the backpack dropped in favour of a dangling strap.
    Little bit lackluster at the moment but the rough outline is there, ready to be completely re-modeled later, probably at the weekend or maybe even next week once exams are all over.

needlegun-wip-1.PNG

EDIT:
    Oh dear, the fire animation has the reloady canistery thing on the original syringegun wobble back and fourth. This could be a disaster D: I may have to think radically about the way it loads.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14

EDIT:
    Oh dear, the fire animation has the reloady canistery thing on the original syringegun wobble back and fourth. This could be a disaster D: I may have to think radically about the way it loads.

When you start setting your gun up for export couldn't you just not weight anything to the bone that controls that canister wiggle? This way the game will still have the bone to reference in its animation it just wont have any visible effect on the model.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Then it would have nothing that came off and was replaced in the reload anim, it would just have his hand shoving something invisible in :(
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've skinned your mesh to the jigglebone right?

If you're using max, select your verts and apply the skin modifier, add your jigglebone to the list of bones then select the verts you want to jiggle and then click the bone in the list and change the abs value to 1.

You also need to parent the bone itself to another, use the link tool next to the redo arrow and click+drag from the new jigglebone to the bone you want it to be a child of.

Thanks, I got them to work, just gotta fiddle with the settings to get a slightly wobbly bone instead of something so weak it just flops to the ground
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    A few more minutes spent on the rough shape in max + making sure the magazine doesn't look stupid. Which it doesn't, it is a little strange that it wobbles but it isn't all that noticable.

needlegun-wip-2.jpg

NOTE: just a very rough mock up! :P
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Gotta say without that mechanism the trigger majigger looks out of place.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Gotta say without that mechanism the trigger majigger looks out of place.

Care to be a little more specific about which majigger you mean? :poly105:
  • MistahFixIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 'majigger' (Majigger is a scientific term; honest! >.>; ) he's referring to is the flat trigger-plate device on the grip of the weapon, where the Medic's right hand would go. Maybe you could replace it with something a little more 'low-profile'; something similar to a bicycle handbrake maybe?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Care to be a little more specific about which majigger you mean? :poly105:
    ...the only one? The thing right next to the handle with the levers going up to the tank on the blut, that's attached to nothing on the other one.

Though looking back, it appears that whatever it would be pulling is covered by a housing.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Ah you did mean what I thought. Yeah that's just left over from the blut I vandalised.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    needlegun-wip-3.jpg

Still procrastinating too much.

Jobs for Thursday:
    -Add rear sight
    -Make front sight hinge more hingey
    -Add handle trigger and strap
    -Add magazine
    -Connect the tank to the back with a tube
  • Queops
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally looks like a water gun.

The backpack looks like a goblin invention. No offence :P
    You might profit by rethinking the design of it.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I probably shouldn't model after imbibing alcohol..

This sucks, it's along the right lines but waaaay off:

needlegun-wip-4.PNG

Ravidge suggested the name "The drug dealer" which I love, so that's what it is. :D
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the way your tank is set up makes me think that one BIG needle will fit in there...
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Threw in some solid colours to get a feel for it
    needlegun-wip-5.jpg

On the fence about the sights, opinions?
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am starting to like it, but what are you going to do with the canister?
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do i spy a wrist strap, youme?

wii_remote_instructions.gif
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Like:
    • The new shape
    • the wood grip with the screws
    • the trigger
    • the strap
    • the name, which is excellent

Dislike:
    • colors (not just because they're not right for the palette, but the choice of which colors and where.
    • the magazine (I like that it's something different, but it doesn't look good. It seems ill-proportioned)
    • the front iron sight (seems too much like the demoman's concept, not along the right lines to me, but again I like that it's a bold departure from the medic's current thing)

These are just my impressions, take em or leave them as you please.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Threw in some solid colours to get a feel for it
    needlegun-wip-5.jpg

On the fence about the sights, opinions?

I feel the name might be a bit too controversial, even for a game like team fortress 2 :poly108:
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I feel the name might be a bit too controversial, even for a game like team fortress 2 :poly108:
    Piss. Flamethrowers. Decapitation. Black guy with broken bottle.

I feel like a broken record.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I don't need to censor it, if valve want it and deem the name iffy they can change it themselves.

Current status of the model on the left with a paintover of more how I want it to turn out on the left, Syringe clip has been scrapped in favour of something closer to the original. Still not sure if I like it.

DDconcepts.jpg
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would look nicer if you changed the texture on the middle canister into one more reminiscent of your medigun's color scheme like you did on the back end there. Some dark grey with team colors, only in a different design than the blutsauger's canister. Maybe change the wires to yellow to sync up as well.

Otherwise, the only thing that bothers me is the clip, although I think I'll wait to see what you're going for with the new clip before I make any criticisms.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The iron sights could be a cross hairs with a metal medical snake around them. 400_F_18157834_zZ4JUYSjeGrl21QJ6WLKw7BPoqZsOcaE.jpg

Don't forget his reload animation has to fit, too, so you'll probably need a little canister thing in the rear.

I'd like more canisters on the rear sticking up, like maybe 4 all that size with big chunky metal rails alongside.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piss. Flamethrowers. Decapitation. Black guy with broken bottle.

I feel like a broken record.
    I'm going to ignore writing a specific counter argument for each the weapons you have mention, because you aren't going to listen to it anyway and because it would be too much of a derail.

I feel the line between comedy and offensive can be rather fine.
    Having something named after an illegal activity that have no real relation to this game, and isn't comedy, could pose as an issue for Valve's reputation.

Don't assume that I am personally offended however, I am merely concerned that it could make this weapon less appealing.
    However as Youme have stated, it's not a giant issue since Valve can easily change the name themselves.
  • Mizzymizzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not english but doesn't the word "drug" stand also for something like medicine? And also there are so many people in the world and some of them must be offended by something it's like you can't do anything without someone raging at you for that anymore. I say keep the name.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mizzymizzy wrote: »
    I'm not english but doesn't the word "drug" stand also for something like medicine? And also there are so many people in the world and some of them must be offended by something it's like you can't do anything without someone raging at you for that anymore. I say keep the name.
    I simply feel that a less far-fetched and more comedic name would be more suitable. Currently the name is far-fetched and possibly offensive.

I don't see why people are dead set on keeping the name really.
    I would understand why you would be highly against a name change if the name was incredibly witty and a perfect fit for the weapons functionality, but currently the name is "average" at most.
  • Mizzymizzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply feel that a less far-fetched and more comedic name would be more suitable. Currently the name is far-fetched and possibly offensive.

I don't see why people are dead set on keeping the name really.
    I would understand why you would be highly against a name change if the name was incredibly witty and a perfect fit for the weapons functionality, but currently the name is "okay" at most.
    Now that you said that I noticed I wrote my post wrong... I mean't that if he wanted to keep the name he should because people would be offended by anything anyway.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'm open to name suggestions of course. I'm terrible at thinking up names for stuff.
    The Drug Dealer is merely the best anyone has proposed so far. I'd swap it out for the Painkiller if swizzle hadn't used that for his needle.

I really don't think there needs to be a debate about the controversy of the name, If I'd made it clearly fire heroine needles or something like that, that would be another matter.
  • Mizzymizzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Das Wienerkiller?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Drug-dealer is a great name, I see no reason to change it.
    I'm going to ignore writing a specific counter argument for each the weapons you have mention, because you aren't going to listen to it anyway and because it would be too much of a derail.
    By this you mean you actually are going to do this and PM it to me, right?
    Don't assume that I am personally offended however
    too late.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drug-dealer is a great name, I see no reason to change it.

By this you mean you actually are going to do this and PM it to me, right?

too late.
    I sent it in a PM because unlike you I thought it would be impolite to have the argument here.

Especially considering how it's terribly hard not to turn it into a flamewar when you're always replying in such a hostile manner.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    needlegun-wip-9.PNG
    needlegun-wip-8.PNG

Just base colours and no phong mask so it's ultra shiny.

Chickened out and went for the original loading canister. :(
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs something more to distinguish it. A doodad here and there.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it's good as it is
    far too many submissions have "WACKY ADD-ONS!"
    i like how this looks and would love to see it in game