Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Texy!

scrapped due to my fail at reading rules properly, =P still going to enter but something different =p

expect to hear from me again in coming hours/days/weeks
much love :poly002:
- Texy.

Replies

• tex_cookiedough
    Here is a silhouette concept of tesla coil ~ still nothing definite about this

30435749.jpg
  • tex_cookiedough
    okay a little update of my work so far.. still in a very conceptual phase of work but started on the 3d side, original idea did not feel right for tf2 so i have tried to add a bit more of a tf2-esque styled tesla coil, not sure about this though.

it is a little more appealing to me than my original design but still doesn't feel right. Anyway enough talk lets see some models.

here is what i began with ( inspired by an old tv antenna supprisingly enough.. or maybe not. )
    zzxy1.jpg

next i thought about how i could add the tesla coil element to it.. resulting in...

zzxy2.jpg

the addition of the "car battery" was a spur of the moment thing..

zzxy3.jpg

and heres what im up to:

zzxy4.jpg

mighty long post.. anyway suggestions critiques and constructive criticism welcomed

-tex.
  • Khthon
    You can make the one building with all 3 levels and it will fulfill the contest reqs. I think you should concentrate on this Tesla coil idea, are you going to animate it?

I'd go with a mad scientist design aesthetic to really make it stand out. Tubes/beakers/chemistry set stuff sticking out of the contraption looking real neat! :cool:

Some refs for ya:

mad-scientist2.jpg

FrankLabMainPic.jpg

san-francisco-trip-1108-231.jpg

196601.jpg

boychemset.jpg

Heck, you could even have the Tesla fold out of an old repurposed 1950s Chemistry Set box (instead of the tool box). :)
  • EvilShadow777
    I love the idea of a Tesla Coil, but one problem, functionality. You're going to have to make the top rotate or something a sentry gun and you're going to need a building animation. Oi, that's one limitation that is making me a bit upset with this contest. So many good entries out the window :(

But yea, if you can work around that this will be a great pack!
  • tex_cookiedough
    I love the idea of a Tesla Coil, but one problem, functionality. You're going to have to make the top rotate or something a sentry gun and you're going to need a building animation. Oi, that's one limitation that is making me a bit upset with this contest. So many good entries out the window :(

But yea, if you can work around that this will be a great pack!

hmm well i thought since sentries kill things.. and tesla coils also have the potential to kill things.. this might be acceptable =P

will see how i go, ill knock up a few other variations as im only in a very conceptual phase of modelling

below is a very quick build animation i whipped up in 2 mins :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bkln5Fq7-w[/ame]

also thank you so much EvilShadow777 and Khthon, inspiration has found me once more! back to the drawing board for some additional concepts :)
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    I think with your animation, it might be nice if the box started off smaller as well, as of course it comes out of his tool box :P

Are you going to have more bits coming off of it, because otherwise I think you could make your animation a lot slower, so you really see the tower part coming out.
  • Khthon
    That great animation would look even better coming out of a Build Your Own Tesla Coil box!
  • Ikimono
    Khthon wrote: »
    *That great animation
    *great animation
    *great

lol
    oh how you can impress people by making something simply move.

It's very obvious that the graph editor was never even looked at. I can see many parts of it popping speeds as it's moving. Which means that there are waves in the animation curves.

Obviously it was done as a blockout animation. But wasn't done properly.

Do your blockout animations in Stepped mode only, that will give you a much better end result and will keep you from having unnecessary key frames ruining your animation. Hit the key poses first, then do the in-between animation
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Remember, this is a skinning contst only, so every diffrent gameplay suggestion you might think off propably won't make it into the contest, so it should work the same way as the existing sentry gun, and have all 3 stages.

on to the animation, I think its a bit to short. You should have the same building time as a normal sentrygun and it should propably look just as interesting.

anyway, a testla coil is a cool idea and it would be nice for it to have some cool lighting effects on it (but make sure that when its sapped it won't be to similar - confusion)
  • Ikimono
    EVIL wrote: »
    anyway, a testla coil is a cool idea and it would be nice for it to have some cool lighting effects on it (but make sure that when its sapped it won't be to similar - confusion)

IMO, shooting lightning bolts would be a rather disrupting action (an incredibly large effect) With a lot of them going on at once it would clutter the screen incredibly quickly. Which would make players turn into sad epileptic pandas
  • tex_cookiedough
    EVIL wrote: »
    Remember, this is a skinning contst only, so every diffrent gameplay suggestion you might think off propably won't make it into the contest, so it should work the same way as the existing sentry gun, and have all 3 stages.

on to the animation, I think its a bit to short. You should have the same building time as a normal sentrygun and it should propably look just as interesting.

well i've currently got some other concepts going, with a bit more similarity to original sentry gun, as for screen clutter i had imagined a slow refire rate.. lighting bolts that jumped between two targets or something.. possibly with some side effect (debuff? ) to compensate the slow refire.. anyway none of that is up to me anyway.

well, hopefully ill post something of my other concepts tomorrow.. untill then -

Tex.

p.s. animation was more so i could figure out how that thing could unfold :poly142:
  • komfyrion
    This looks awesome! I'm sure Valve would pick this if you created animations (for 3 levels), not giving them too much work (which they for obvious reasons hate) Keep working with this, its unique and will be awesome!:thumbup:
  • tex_cookiedough
    komfyrion wrote: »
    This looks awesome! I'm sure Valve would pick this if you created animations (for 3 levels), not giving them too much work (which they for obvious reasons hate) Keep working with this, its unique and will be awesome!:thumbup:

lol might pick this up again soon, at the moment im thinking about doing a heavy pack tho so maybe after that ;) thanks for comment :)
  • jgoodroad
    If that is your basic animation, I think you need to make the base of the tesla coil larger, since the tesla ring you have appears to clip said base.
  • komfyrion
    lol might pick this up again soon, at the moment im thinking about doing a heavy pack tho so maybe after that ;) thanks for comment :)

Also, I'm sorry for stealing you're avatar, I was testing the option, which was REALLY hard to locate