Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - nrek

Replies

• mradamw
    nrek wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went back and fiddled with the texture bit more. I added more color to the wood, smoothed out some of the grain, added a layer of texture strokes to the metal, and flattened the lens. So here is the updated gun with a side by side of the TF2 sniper. Im going to move onto getting it in game now, this time im serious :poly124:.

Oh and as far as loading the darts... He just angles them ever so slightly and then jams them in there, like a man. Or at least thats what im going to say so I don't have to change the size of the chamber.

Oh and Sparkwire, I did model this to work with the default animations but I will definitely let you know if I make a more interesting weapon that demands some animations.

comparison.jpg

hey man - i LOVE this pack - really backing you on this one :) question: how did you get the game model and texture sheet? Ive been looking around for some game models to use as scale reference for the weapons I am making (and hopefully gonna submit) but not having much luck and have tried decompiling bu couldnt get my head around it. any help would be most excellently appreciated!
  • Hotdogbunker
    How about valve make the scope zoom in further, as an extra perk?
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    mradamw - Thx, glad you enjoy it. For the TF2 weapons I just decompiled the files I needed. Which part of the decompile process is messing you up? Have you seen these 2 tutorials?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/9975

If you figure out which step is tripping you up then I might be able to help out a bit. Good luck.

TOBBE_LA & Simski - I never put too much thought into what it would do. All I know is that if I had my way when you shot someone with a full charge it would reverse their movement controls and then kill them 10 seconds later. I figure if someone is running along and their controls get reversed it will cause them to start freaking out, and to other players it would almost look as if they are disoriented and stumbling. This way it would give the illusion of being poisoned without requiring extra animations. And perhaps if a medic was able to reach them within that 10 second period and use their medi gun for x amount of time they could draw out the poison and save that teammate.

Unfortunately I have been too busy with other projects to get back to making a video of all my weapons and really doing anything with my entry. I will try to have something up when I get some more spare time. Thanks for all the wonderful comments and intense discussion of crocodile skin coloration :).
  • mradamw
    mradamw - Thx, glad you enjoy it. For the TF2 weapons I just decompiled the files I needed. Which part of the decompile process is messing you up? Have you seen these 2 tutorials?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/9975

If you figure out which step is tripping you up then I might be able to help out a bit. Good luck.

thanks so much for the links man - really helped! All I am having issue with now is finding the correct place to put the MDL Decompiler (i dont appear to have a /sourcesdk directory in my /Steam/steamapps folder? Any insight for this?
  • Simski
    TOBBE_LA & Simski - I never put too much thought into what it would do. All I know is that if I had my way when you shot someone with a full charge it would reverse their movement controls and then kill them 10 seconds later. I figure if someone is running along and their controls get reversed it will cause them to start freaking out, and to other players it would almost look as if they are disoriented and stumbling. This way it would give the illusion of being poisoned without requiring extra animations. And perhaps if a medic was able to reach them within that 10 second period and use their medi gun for x amount of time they could draw out the poison and save that teammate.
    Sounds awesome, did you suggest it to Valve?

I imagine people could use scripts to bypass it though...
    Unless the controls were randomized, people could probably make a scripts that reversed their controls for 10 seconds when they pressed a button, which would make it have the regular controls during the poison time.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    mradamw wrote: »
    thanks so much for the links man - really helped! All I am having issue with now is finding the correct place to put the MDL Decompiler (i dont appear to have a /sourcesdk directory in my /Steam/steamapps folder? Any insight for this?

Do you have Source SDK installed and have you run it at least once? That would be my first guess.
  • mradamw
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Do you have Source SDK installed and have you run it at least once? That would be my first guess.

Hey dude - yeah that was the problem all along :D none of the tuts (even that one on Steam community) made mention of the fact I needed the Steam SDK installed - once i did that all is fine and dandy (sorry nrek for jacking your thread! no more from me!)
  • A Rabid Bunee
    Simski wrote: »
    Sounds awesome, did you suggest it to Valve?

I imagine people could use scripts to bypass it though...
    Unless the controls were randomized, people could probably make a scripts that reversed their controls for 10 seconds when they pressed a button, which would make it have the regular controls during the poison time.

I think, since that would probably take some amount of time, maybe it should put them into the Scout retreating thing if they get headshot and don't die, or something like that. Or it makes them bleed for however many seconds.
  • Drakeee
    Congratulations! The concept and theme of your entry is the best for me
  • ChrisspyB
    Dude, I knew you would win!
    Well done!
  • larolaro
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Huge congrats man, I had my bets riding on this one to win :D
  • Simski
    My favorite Sniper entry, and possibly my favorite winning class entry as well :O
    I do hope Valve will give your weapon stats worthy of the awesomeness of your models.
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Congrats, gotta love that knife!
  • Khthon
    Khthon wrote: »
    Achievement ideas for fun-

Tranq-n-Shank - Tranquilize an enemy with the Sydney Sleeper, then finish them with your Melee.

Pirate Eater
    - Kill 10 enemy Demomen who have (Canon unlock) equipped while you have Darwin's Danger Shield equipped.
    (Lots of canon unlocks in this contest.)

Tick Tock Here Comes the Croc - Kill 25 enemies while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Darwin Beats Lenin - Kill and enemy Heavy while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield

He Likes the Way You Taste... - Kill an enemy you're Dominating while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Knifey vs Spoony - After being hit by enemy melee switch to the Bushwacka and kill them in one hit.

Darwinian Evolutionary Arms Race - After being killed by a Sniper wearing Darwin's Danger Shield switch to Sniper and equip Darwin's Danger Shield.

Crocs in the Sewers... - Kill 10 enemies in the Sewers on 2fort while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Survival of the Frailest - Kill 50 Heavies, Soldiers and Demomen combined with the Sydney Sleeper.

Descended from Criminals - Steal ammunition from 50 fallen weapons.

Carnivorous - Kill an enemy Heavy and eat his Sandvich.

He Sees you When You're Sleeping - Shoot a tranquilized enemy 3 times with the Sydney Sleeper without them dying or the tranquilizer effect wearing off.

He Knows When You're Awake - In the same second that the tranquilizer will wear off melee an enemy to death.

Sleeping Around Like a Bloody Idiot - Tranquilize an enemy Spy.

Monsoon Immune
    - Survive an enemy Sniper's Jarate while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Throw Another Shrimp On the Barbey - Assist friendly Pyros in killing 10 Scouts with the Sydney Sleeper.

Australia Jones and the Temple of MPHMMMM - Kill an enemy Pyro with the Sydney Sleeper then who airblasted you in the last 5 seconds.

Scout-Back Ache-House - Shoot a Scout with less than 10% health in the back with the Sydney Sleeper, killing him.

Zookeeper Sleeper - Tranquilize one of every class with the Sydney Sleeper.

That Ain't a Knife, THIS is a Knife - Kill an enemy Sniper wielding the Kukri or Tribalman's Shiv with the Bushwaka.

Crocodile Dun-Pee - Jarate 20 enemies while wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Alligators Vs Crocodiles - Kill an enemy Sniper while both of you are wearing Darwin's Danger Shield.

Crocodillian Reptilians - Assist another Sniper in killing 3 enemies while both of you have Darwin's Danger Shield equipped.

Cold Blooded - Kill 5 Pyros while you have Darwin's Danger Shield equipped.

Rabbit Season - Kill 50 Scouts with the Sydney Sleeper.

Bear Season - Kill 50 Heavies with the Sydney Sleeper.

Cyclops Season - Kill 50 Demomen with the Sydney Sleeper.

Eagle Season - Kill 50 Soldiers with the Sydney Sleeper.

Just going to repost my ideas from further up the thread in case someone looks at the first and last pages only. Congrats again!
  • Benvil
    I just noticed the name of the first achievement is exactly the same as my ETF2L teams: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Halesangels

Despite how awesome you and your pack are nrek, I have to point out to you that we have patent and copyright on that name, so you now owe us 1 million dollars.

If you ignore our demands, we will sue your ass off and drag you to court.

Have a good day, sir!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Competitive gaming teams are cute...
  • Benvil
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Competitive gaming teams are cute...
    Competitive?

Nah, it's for the ETF2L highlander tourny for newbies :p

Joking aside, it's actually an honour to have an achievement named after my group in the best polycount pack ever :D (But if we get 1 million dollars too, I'm not going to complain :thumbup:)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    The sarcasm didn't get through to me for some reason... I thought you were a serious competitive team that was actually planning to sue him if he used that achievement which wouldn't have surprised me at all having known people in the competitive gaming scene.
  • Bboy
    Good job promoting your team benvil.

Still no one gives a shit about your clan.
  • Benvil
    No worries Zip, it happens :)
    I wouldn't be surprised either if there is serious competitive team who would actually sue for such things XD

So Bboy, tell me what I get from promoting a full and private highlander team for newbies? It's not like we can get more members or anything, so why don't you just take your negative and hostile attitude elsewhere? You don't give a shit about my "clan"? I don't give a shit about your opinion, kid.

This was meant to be a fun gimmicky note to nrek, for having an achievement called the same as my highlander team, and I'm sure he can understand that this was meant with a smile on my lip. If anyone else want to make a big issue out of it(I hope not), why don't you just send me a private message?
  • MFS
  • Bboy
    So you just said it because naming achievements "after" your team would somewhat hurt your integrity? Stop lying. You just happened to get here and post a link to your shitty clan's steam community group. How convenient. And stop calling others a kid when you can't think of a better response. Friendo.
  • Benvil
    So, that's your argument? Really? "I didn't pose brain cells enough to read your wall of text, so my response is just that you lie, lol"

You sure are smart... Also, since you obviously lack the ability to read properly, I'll repeat that if you want to continue your pathetic arugment, you should use the private message feature, except if you are trying to bomb nrek with your whiny off-topic gibberish of course.

Yeah, I came here just to post that link. It's not like I got 50 other posts and joined back in May. I guess we can assume you came here just to bullshit? Considering 2 of your 9 posts is attacking me, the other 7 being posts consisting of short useless lines, and you joined back in June.

You make me laugh, kid.
  • Bboy
    Benvil wrote: »

"You don't give a shit about my "clan"? I don't give a shit about you opinion, kid."

Oh, the irony. Yet you still care enough to check my other posts.

I joined this forum to follow the contest and support the contestants not to grin myself every day over how long I have been here or how much posts I have. Unlike the kids these days, I don't spend as much time on the Internet as I would want to, but I you can hardly blame that on me. I'm sorry I don't have enough time to read all the stuff you wrote me, but I'm sure it is a well-written piece of thought which will make a great late night reading material.

Good luck with your anger management issues, bro. You seem like a pretty cool guy and I might even hit you up when you get those problems sorted out.
  • mradamw
    Bboy & Benvil - guys, you do realize that having a pissing contest in someone else's thread is a little rude surely? Just let it go - no-one cares about it and im sure nrek doesn't appreciate you using his thread as your battle ground. Please just drop it.
  • Benvil
    mradamw wrote: »
    Bboy & Benvil - guys, you do realize that having a pissing contest in someone else's thread is a little rude surely? Just let it go - no-one cares about it and im sure nrek doesn't appreciate you using his thread as your battle ground. Please just drop it.
    I've asked him to take it over private message several times, I've even send him a private message, but he completely ignores it. It's almost as if he want nreks thread to be bombed. But I'm done with this debate anyway. His flawed logic, disrespecting behavior and general ignorance make it downright hopeless.

At the end of the day, nrek will likely understand that the Hale's Angels thing was meant as a fun gimmick anyway, and that is all that matters.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that I'm sorry this went so far on nreks thread, and I did try my best to move it on to private messages, but without success. I also hope you guys understand I had to defend myself when some guy began calling bullshit on me.