Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Vitius

Hello everyone, I'm a new guy directed here from the TF2 blog and as it happens, I have been working on a new scout primary and thought I would join in and get some critique here!

EDIT: removed older pictures to clean up

I'm calling it the sharpshooter. It's a new scattergun for scout with longer barrels. The attack would be lower than the Force-a-Nature and Scattergun but would have less spread and damage falloff for mid range. This would allow the scout to be effective at mid range at least for bugging targets or picking off lower health players running to medkits without needing to rely on the pistol too much. The tradeoff would be loss of deadly attacks at close range.

That's just my general idea for the weapon. Right now it sits at just under 7500 triangles (4500 now). The hinge for opening the barrels is not aligned with the Force-a-Nature's which I'm guessing I'll have to change but if anyone knows whether it's a major problem or not, let me know.

One other issue is that the FaN has only 3 weapon bones. One for the body, one for hinge and one for the top piece so the flintlock-looking pieces on the side (I appologize I don't know the correct term for them) would need extra weapon bones and might not function properly if these would be just dropped into the game. I'm thinking I will have to replace them with somethign else.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice looking gun you've got going there.

There are usually rules in these comps about not using models that have been begun prior to the starting date. I don't think it mentions that specifically in the TF2 comp rules but it might be worth running by the Man, nonetheless.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason it looks just slightly too detailed, i dont know maybe its just me, nice work though :)
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up. It would really suck if I can't use it since I basically started it 3 days ago which would just be really poor timing on my part. I can always make a new one using this as reference.
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buck wrote: »
    For some reason it looks just slightly too detailed, i dont know maybe its just me, nice work though :)

I know what you mean. When I was near done I realized it wasn't really fitting the TF2 style so that's what I'm going to work on fixing next.

Thanks for the compliment =)
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharpshooter4.png

Here are some changes I made. I changed the base of the barrels and added a sight. Also removed the side pieces to make it look cleaner. Around 5400 triangles now.

All feedback is appreciated!
  • NigelzX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that made a difference, a little goes a long way, even with the Engineer's buildings. Looks great so far!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Why did you model those screws into the side? You could make it floating geometry and save a ton of tris. Looking good other than that, though.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent work thus far, However; You have a slightly high density of topology in many areas...

I made a pic instead of typing it out cause it's just way easier to explain / show that way!

sharpshooter4.jpg

Okay, so the outlined areas have way too much density. If you can manage to bring those out of that picture, you will be right as rain, me friend.
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I cleaned up some of the geo and separated some pieces like the screws. When I looked at the scattergun viewmodel everything was modeled in so I thought Valve didnt like floating geo in the viewmodels but I was happy to make the change.
    sharpshooter5.png
    I understand we are to have a theme for these sets so I'm still figuring that out but I'm thinking of classic/vintage style items that the Scout may have found in his attic or gotten as hand-me-downs from his brothers.
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna let people give their opinion on what items they think would work well. The theme being hand me downs or things lying around in Scout's attic.

Possible ideas for next 2 items:
    holmes1.jpg
    - Sherlock Hat w/ pipe (Sherlock's Smart Alec)
    youngridersz.jpg
    - Jockey Hat
    vintagebaseballcaps.jpg
    - Vintage Baseball Cap
    brigg169maplewalkingsti.jpgpatterncanes.jpg
    - Walking Cane - melee (Pappy's Pikestaff / Clubbin' Cane / Pummeling Pole / Walloping Woodstick)(I'm a fan of alliteration)
    mod38bb3.jpg
    - Air Pistol/BB gun - secondary
    - Sneakers - secondary
  • Incapability
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vintage baseball cap is a great idea! The Sherlock and jockey hats, I am slightly less a fan of, they both give me a very British impression, and the Scout certainly is far from that. The cane also seems somewhat improper when dealing with the Scout, seeing as walking and running is the least of his problems, and thus would reflect him poorly.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    You can't use the gun you started with before the contest. According to the rules, it would mean an unfair advantage, and thus is considered cheating.

read it up in the sticky threads
  • Vitius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vintage baseball cap is a great idea! The Sherlock and jockey hats, I am slightly less a fan of, they both give me a very British impression, and the Scout certainly is far from that. The cane also seems somewhat improper when dealing with the Scout, seeing as walking and running is the least of his problems, and thus would reflect him poorly.

Haha yeah, as fond as I am of the sherlock hat, the british/english vibe definitely doesn't fit his boston background. I'll try to come up with some other creative ideas.
    EVIL wrote: »
    You can't use the gun you started with before the contest. According to the rules, it would mean an unfair advantage, and thus is considered cheating.

read it up in the sticky threads

OK, fair enough. I guess I'll have to get to work on a new scattergun, this might give me a chance to pick a different theme.