TF2 - Polypack - ScudzAlmighty

Abso-freakin-lutely-brilliant.

Got a couple idea's atm that would work best for the sniper i think, gotta get them to fit the design but I'll leave ya with this: Crank-powered-hydrolic-harpoon-gun.

current version:
KEDPirate_045.jpg
KED_PolycountWrath_Final.jpg

Replies

• Thrillho
    A harpoon gun sounds pretty brilliant to me... it's different enough from the Huntsman yet can fire a very similar projectile. Can't wait to see what you do with it!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    2nd day and only 7 pages back, sweet...

just some block in's:
    KEDPirate_001.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 8
    That's one big frickin' harpoon.
  • re.wind
    Can the harpoon skewer multiple people to a wall? Say yes please....;)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    re.wind wrote: »
    Can the harpoon skewer multiple people to a wall? Say yes please....;)

yes please;)
    DKK wrote: »
    A pirates life for me. Is it going to have a pirate telescope for a scope?

it is now!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    wanted to throw up a few name idea's while they're fresh

Hell's Heart: level 64 Wailin' gun - note the spelling it's named not after the intended target but the sound the giant harpoon makes while flying through the air.

the Scurvy Longsword: this oversized cutlass causes it's victims to continue bleeding out when struck until they can heal or die.

was looking for some famouse Aussie Pirates to name the hat after, but according to google they've only got the software kind downunder. so the best I've got atm is Geoffrey's Rush... yeah I know....

re the harpoon, so I'm thinking it should be able to skewer at least two players at a time as long as the first one isn't the heavy. Spy and Scout are skinny enough to fit three. and then the rope and spool are detachable so it could work something like L4D's Smoker, dragging players away from cap points etc.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    the Scurvy Scallawag for the cutlass, and the Corsairs Cranial Cap for the hat?
  • Buck
    Haha, it looks like the sniper couldn't even carry the harpoon gun :D Slightly too bi i think. Still good progress.
  • Simski
    It is a very good model, but I personally don't see how the theme relates to the sniper :O
    Care to enlighten me?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    just don't think of it as a primarily offensive weapon ;)

ups! layin out some more wippage, scope angle and compressed air tank aren't final. I found having the scope stright on top to be a little boring and the airtank was originally going to plug into the back of the main cylinder, but I kinda like it down under like this. second harpoon is an alternate spearhead idea

KEDPirate_002.jpg

and yes now that I've uploaded it I can see the typo :(
  • Buck
    i was just going to post

"MANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!"

but i read text under the picture :D
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 7
    Two N's in Mann.co bro! edit: Nevermind, I fail at reading, twice

This idea is very out there, but the model is shaping up nicely. :)

Gonna texture this right away or move onto modeling one of the other items?
  • Graff Pirate
  • Mico27
    Now we need a whale skin for the heavy (joke)

Personally I'd rather see the demoman having the pirate theme, but I guess it's okay witht he sniper too :p
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I was gonna slap a couple dead whale icons on the side of the main cylinder ;)

haven't finished the model yet but I think I'll probably at least layout the base texture before I start the next stuff, that way I've got something to work with but I don't have to start over if the look is off.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    still nautical, but less piratey I wipped up this hat and chops, turned the alt harpoon into a melee

KEDPirate_003.jpg
  • re.wind
    sawed-off, or broken harpoon melee? It currently looks too long for the kukri animation.
  • Naso
    I like the concept of the rapier falchion sword better.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I am liking the new hat with it.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    there's definatley more of a direct literary reference going on with this version, the cutlass looks better for sure but I like the idea of the harpoon more I'll work on refining it and see if opinions change.
  • Betty Hime
    I would actually want to play the sniperclass with these!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    there's definatley more of a direct literary reference going on with this version, the cutlass looks better for sure but I like the idea of the harpoon more I'll work on refining it and see if opinions change.
    You could go for something more along the line of a billhook.

et261.view01.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    anything I can do to help the advancement of a single-minded killing machine:poly122:

so it's seems I can't go five minutes without shuffling names around, The sword - or harpoon - is now going to be Hells Heart (for stabbing at thee), and the harpoon gun will be the White Wailer (again for the sound it makes)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Karkasmolenklok : that is... very interesting indeed.
    hmmm
  • ParingKnife
    I like the new nautical revisions! The harpoon gun looks really heavy though, any thoughts on making it less bulky?
  • EvilShadow777
    The Harpoon Gun is a great concept, but what weapon function is it mimicking, the Huntsman or the Sniper Rifle?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I guess technically it would replace both, he would hold it, reload zoom and fire like the sniper, but the harpoons would act like the Huntsman?

just under 7000 tri without the Mann co letters
    KEDPirate_004.jpg
  • Mico27
    As which weapon will you skin it after for testing ingame?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    do you mean which weapon will it relpace?
    like I said in th post right above, it would replace the sniper rifle in every way except the ammo, which would be the huntsmans. or even just swapping the sniper bullet with the harpoon :)
  • Khthon
    MANN CO on the model is unnecessary, there's TONS of other creative stuff you could put on the body of this weapon. I like your submission, so I took a few minutes to look some stuff up.

There were actual harpoon rifles - like the one from jaws. Some ref-
    norm-4716a9ef68382-Jaws+%281975%29.jpegccbrandgly006.jpg.w300h106.jpg
    1000%20dpi%20full%20view3.jpg

So, bits of chain or coiled rope or superfluous firing mechanisms from these sort of guns?

whaling6.gif
    whalegun.jpg
    harpoon_gun.jpg

Maybe an old school etching, like you would find on a treasure map/inside early editions of Moby Dick?

beale-1a.gif

Maybe some Scrimshaw'ed Whale Teeth?

73547.jpg
    whale%20tooth%20c1840%20scrimshaw2.jpg
    AT%205-6%20scrimshaw%20tooth.JPG
    085-scrimshaw-whale-tooth-azores-tif1.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    dude, nice crit.
    I'm going to spend some time going through these for sure, especially the harpoon spearheads at the top. Mann Co. seemed to work but I agree it's kinda showing up everywhere right now. I'm thinking of changing it to Essex & Co, Essex being the real boat Herman Melville based his story on. the black and white photo there was actually my starting point with this design, but fitted on a rifle body. I really like the little stuff as decoration too :)

here's a little comp I was working on in the meantime.
    KED_PolycountWrath_01.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    the qoute is from the film, and I suppose sounds more like I want to change what I've got right now...
    but it's just so damned appropriate!
  • Khthon
    I'm really glad you found some of my ref's interesting! :cool:

So much potential.

As for a company name on the weapons, Moby's Tricks?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    gonna add a really loose version of that last whale carving to the blade when I texture but here's the model for Hells Heart

KEDPirate_005.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 8
    The "ye damned wanker" line almost made me spit all over my screen. :D

Looking good, Scudz. Not much to critique right now, but keep up the good work
  • Khthon
    Haha, YE DAMNED WANKER.

You could call the hat 'Ishmael's Headsail' or 'Ishmael's Veil'
  • Boylee
    Man, that harpoon is ENORMOUS. The kukri replacement looks ace though.
  • Reaprar
    ..this is a joke, right?
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek greentooth
    Lol this is awesome Scudz. The new knife looks cool, but I totally think the one pictured in the concept below would be much more interesting. You could even drop a big ring on the end with a fat rope dangling off of it to add some extra character.

Oh and...
    ...'Ishmael's Headsail'..
    Hell yes!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Swizzle: HA! then my job is done

Khthon: those names are epic man, thanks

Boylee: the better to skewer a heavy with

nrek: by pictured below, do you mean above in the Wratthfull update? or am I missing an image. i simplified the knife edge here cause i wasn't happy with how the jagged one was looking, but i'm still interested in doing it that way, and i'll definatley try out some dangley bits :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    here's the two versions of the blade:

KEDPirate_006.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    fixed up #2
    KEDPirate_007.jpg
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 7
    "The cracks in the blade are unrealistic! NEVER COULD HAPPEN. DOESN'T add character."

Those are the crits I got on my knife when I had the same exact type of blade damage. I personally loved how it looked, but everyone told me to remove them. :(

Yours is a bigger, thicker blade so I guess people don't jump on telling you that it's wrong as quickly.

I'm liking the look of the blade(newest image) so far. What if you took the bottom of the spikes and pulled them up a bit though, so that the blade has more of the kind of shape you would expect. Less tapering out.
  • Snowloss
    Personally, I really like the teeth on the blade, but you might want to make the 'bottom' two a bit smaller.
  • JimeeB
    Number one is better I think. It has a nice silhouette without being overbearing.

It's distinct enough that you know what weapon it is. The 2nd breaks the silhouette of the weapon and just makes it a bit ridiculous.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    y'know Frump, I liked your blade just fine with the cracks :) and I like mine too!
    I've adjusted the teeth alittle, slightly smaller and in, also added a bit of fishing line that'll have some teeth tied to it... or maybe one big whale tooth?
    i was looking at all the characters, but nothing on any of them really stands out as something to hang except the scouts dog-tags, and I don't think enough people would associate them with scout for it to work. open to suggestions though.
    also, the top version here is without the straps on the handle

KEDPirate_008.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    JimeeB, didn't see your post there, I've got both options so we'll see which way the wind blows as it were...
  • JimeeB
    I think that with the extra teeth it looks more like a butchers knife than a harpoon like weapon.
  • Snowloss
    JimeeB wrote: »
    I think that with the extra teeth it looks more like a butchers knife than a harpoon like weapon.

I completely disagree.
    The teeth just scream that they're going to hook and stick into the prey if stabbed which is what you'd want to do with a harpoon.
  • JimeeB
    Snowloss wrote: »
    I completely disagree.
    The teeth just scream that they're going to hook and stick into the prey if stabbed which is what you'd want to do with a harpoon.
    I'd agree with you if the teeth weren't going the length of the blade. A harpoon has teeth at the end not down the whole object.

Leave a Comment