Home Technical Talk

How to tackle this?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Can anybody show a way on how to model and sculpt this window entirely in Zbrush 3.5. I'm having a hard time making this circular shape shown in red. Sry bout the bad picture quality.

dvoy7d.jpg

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Check the Video tutorial on the Pixologic website, there's a video about creating a pilar/ building by Sebastien Legrain..using a Projection Master..It should give you an idea where to start.

_Revel
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did watch that video and it was very helpful. But I wanted to add a indented bevel on the sides of the window deco but as you can see I dont have enough polys to do that. The mesh is on level 8 but only 65,536 polys. Do I have to break this up in parts or is there another way to get more polygons? Sorry but I have a weak computer.

voto5f.jpg
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SunSetter polycounter lvl 9
    its a must to be made in zbrush?
    if you have a slow computer then try modeling in some 3d package, then exported to zbrush and add the detail.
    I don;t know what version of zbrush uses more procesing power but i can tell you that you can go with 2ghz proc and 1 gb of ram with zbrush 3.1 around 2mil polys.

try to model the window separated in pieces, then go to zbrush and sculpt details for every piece.

hope this helps :)
    goodluck!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree, I think it's better in this case to make a clean basemesh in another app, then import into ZB to detail it.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The problem as you stated is that you don't have enough loops in that geo to further subdivide in zbrush. I would set up a quad mesh and then export that way you have enough serration in terms of subdividing to allow more details there.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I'd just make the whole thing in a 3D app, use ZB to add some wear and tear.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Agree with these guys that already reply your question..I personally found that starting model from scratch in Z is not a very good idea (unless you don't care about the polycounts that's another story for that), you almost always have to retopology your mesh to get a more detailed piece. Because Z will just divide your mesh evenly unlike another 3d apps which you can specify the edge loops and all those good stuff.

But don't get me wrong, if you intended to just "sculpt" your mesh then use Z alone will give you a great results also. Its down to personal preferences, your target to where to put into and such..

_Revel
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, it's super easy to make that out of splines and sweep profile shapes over it all to give it some volume.

Doing it in Zbrush seems incredibly complicated and time consuming.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    if youre still set on the odd idea of doing it inside zbrush you could also use booleans and remesh.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I you guys are right. I'm gonna model that in 3D Max rather than Zbrush. Less headache.