Home Technical Talk

Seamless textures(Painted)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
Hy i am wonder when you guy's paint textures, how do you make sure that they are tileable?
What i have done is copying the left side and flip it and paste it on the right, and the top and flip that and paste it at the bottom.
Wondering if you have something else i could try?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    if you use photoshop you can find under filters-other-offset a tool to offset your canvas so you basically first paint in the middle of your texture, offset it and paint the white part you now have in the middle and it will tile
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    if you use photoshop, then the "offset" filter and the stamp tool are the way to go. apart from that i paint over the seams, 'till i am happy with the result.

edit: oops, too slow. ;)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You can always use the 'offset' function in Photoshop and paint over the seam using the clone stamp tool, or you could take it into Mudbox and use the clone tool.

Still exploring this myself.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have used that on photo textures before, i hoped to find a "better" way.
    Photoshop should have symmetry ;D
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop should have symmetry ;D

Select half the image, copy and paste it, then Edit>transform>flip horizontal/vertical. Then just use the clone tool to get rid of the seam.

But that's probably the same as the offset method basically...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya I've wanted live symmetry or live offset, in PhotoShop for a very long time. Like what you can do in Alchemy but with all the photoshop tools. I've seen other very simple apps do it for years and with Adobe harnessing the power of the GPU I don't think they can use "its too hardware intensive" as a defense.

But we keep getting BS crap that's been in other adobe apps for years... woot... It only took 9 years to be able to rotate the canvas I'm sure they'll get around to live symmetry sooner or later. Probably later.

The closest I've ever found was Symmetry Works, a pattern maker.
    http://www.artlandia.com/products/SymmetryWorks/

And node based seamless texture creators like;
    Filter Forge
    http://www.filterforge.com/

Genetica/WoodWorkshop
    http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/

Nothing quite like painting...

Why adobe why!?

EDIT:
    I think Pixologic is working on or has already put something like that into the Zbrush 2D tools. I remember seeing a video on some kind of image browser and "amazing" symmetry painting demo. Can't find anything on it now, they probably either scraped it or gave it some crazy Z-name and google can't find it. Or I was deliriously drunk and dreamed it...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    instead of the clone stamp tool why not use the healing brush. it does much the same job while automatically compensating for shifts in luminance and hue
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    or with cs5 content aware fill :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just don't do content aware fill on a blank canvas, the universe implodes and recreates itself.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »

EDIT:
    I think Pixologic is working on or has already put something like that into the Zbrush 2D tools. I remember seeing a video on some kind of image browser and "amazing" symmetry painting demo. Can't find anything on it now, they probably either scraped it or gave it some crazy Z-name and google can't find it. Or I was deliriously drunk and dreamed it...

I remember that too. I think it was supposed to be for zBrush 4? Or at least I remember seeing the 4 somewhere.

Well you can paint in r2 and it has symmetry, but that image browsing thing and that circular popup for fast tool select isn't there in r2 AFAIK.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    content aware fill is so over hyped. it can even do basic stuff like this (thanks Gizmodo :))500x_contentawarefill.jpg

Back onto topic. That sort of symmetrical painting can be done in 3DCoat I think. it has a startup. it has a load time option for painting tilable textures
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for taking time to answer :)

Mr.Bean: Thats my current workflow as i wrote in my post :)

Vig: Alchemy is a realy cool program with fun features, completly agree that it would be perfect if the painting was more like photoshop.
    I understand that photoshop would get confused when trying to content aware fill a blank canvas :P

r_fletch_r: Well the healing brush can sometimes do fun things.

Neox: Great tool and fun tool, one of those things that are just to fun to stay away from, like lens flares ;P

vcool: Zbrush 3.5 you can do that aswell with quickscetch, i could paint in zbrush but i have to say i like photoshop more for painting textures ;)

Edit:

r_fletch_r: You never know, she could look like that ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah Fletch!

I hand-painted this tiling texture not long ago in Photoshop. I simply paint in the center part, and periodically offset it.
    ericchadwick_wood_timelapse.gif

I use these filters, and I bound them to hotkeys with Actions (F2, F3, F4).
    HalfWrap
    LeftRightWrap & TopBottomWrap

They always offset to the center, regardless of the image res. Offset filter makes you type it in. And they work with non-square textures too. Only caveat is they include any parts of a layer that are outside the canvas edge, which I don't like, so I added a "Select All" to each Action.

Super fast way to paint tiling textures!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricChadwick: Thanks alot for thoose filters :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    This is probably a stupid question, but could you use alpha planes to break up the symmetry, monotony of the tiled textures?

I dont if its been tried or done before(it probably has). I'm not sure if I'm clear about what I mean, but say you have a tiled textured brick wall. It looks fine but just too uniform. You then set up a plane, flat against the wall probably slightly forward of it. You then have texture details, random colour changes of bricks, perhaps bits chipped off all asymetric on that plane with an alpha channel or whatever so they blend with that wall.

Would it be doable or would it not look right?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, people do this for graffiti and such. Usually though games use vertex blending to blend two or more tiling textures together, much easier to get variation, also more perf-friendly than using alpha blending.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Oh! cool, I see, thanks Eric. I guess they use them for painting decals and things, especially in real time games.

It would surely be useful for renders also, where you have lots of similar buildings which you want to look unique with less effort.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    import a plane with 4 faces into mudbox...
    make sure that the uvs are overlapping...
    paint...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4sfcJuKrCY[/ame]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    use the tilde key in Zbrush to offset the canvas
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi: I have already tought of this, but we are using Unity for my current texturing object, and i we have little time to i dont think the others would go with that idea, pluss i managed to get the tiling right :)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    i am simply using mudbox and 3dsmax for all my textures from now on.
    i got updated :)
  • GreasyMnky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found this tutorial the other day, might be useful to someone
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    GreasyMnky wrote: »
    I found this tutorial the other day, might be useful to someone

i found that tutorial amazingly helpfull!! look what i made with it!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    HAHA that's very cool Rhinokey, very inspiring work!..
    Ehrm, back to topic..

All of the discussion here is based on the square texture, what if the texture for character's accessories for example?..when you have to paint it in the irregular shape based on the UV coordinate, how did you guys make it seamless around the seam's border?

_Revel
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i do all my seam fixing work in mudbox...
    my main painting app is still photoshop but im doing more and more in mud...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    HAHA that's very cool Rhinokey, very inspiring work!..
    Ehrm, back to topic..

All of the discussion here is based on the square texture, what if the texture for character's accessories for example?..when you have to paint it in the irregular shape based on the UV coordinate, how did you guys make it seamless around the seam's border?

_Revel

two methods
    oldskool- 2 sets of uvs your normal one then one that has different seams...render from one to the other fix the seams then render back and add those new bit to your old texture
    nuskool- paint over the seams in zbrush or mudbox or 3d paint or whatever as you painting on the mesh
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really really oldskool... paint in Photoshop, save, reload in your 3D app, rinse & repeat. If your 3d app reloads automagically this can be pretty fast. Not as fast as 3d paint tho.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really really oldskool... paint in Photoshop, save, reload in your 3D app, rinse & repeat. If your 3d app reloads automagically this can be pretty fast. Not as fast as 3d paint tho.

haha im doing that now
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Haha so guess that's the only way though..for the character work usually I add ZBrush to the workflow to paint the seams but for hard surface object will use an old method of combination of two; PS and Max..

_Revel
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few more non-3D paint based options:

Graphite modeling tools > Clone Stamp, to help with seams? 2010 and lower will probably need some touch up work in PS. 2011 seems to fair much better.

Also using PeterK's second UV channel can be a pretty good way to get rid of seams.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061019/kojesta_01.shtml

Same idea slightly different purpose, baking tiles to a unique object.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=58411
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since blender now supports reprojection of textures(ala ZAppLink or Mudbox) you could fix them that way.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNd54jgesgk[/ame]
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yea I saw that video before and I've been waiting for Blender 2.5 stable release to available to download..not a big fans of beta/ alpha stage apps, just don't want to deal with the bugs that still around..heheh

_Revel