Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly char - borderland style?!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
Hello,
This is my last personal project. I´d like to do something like it since I watched code hunters...and now playing borderlands I decided to do it... :poly124:
The character has 1138 tris and the weapon 174 tris.
Textures:
Char:
difuse 512x512
glo 128x128
Weapon:
difuse+alpha 256x256
glo 32x32
314e0qw.jpg
zik8ow.jpg
288zijc.jpg
imkrcx.jpg
xf2niv.jpg

I am planing to do some sort of destroyed and dirty environment for him...

Any comments are welcome!

Replies

• funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice stuff Raul!

keep up! :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Dude, that's awesome! The only thing I would really crit on is that, since you left the face uniquely unwrapped for the most part - rather than fully mirrored, you could add some more asymmetry to that. Maybe a more crooked smile or stains or really push that one of the lens are broken? Not really that big of an issue, looks cool regardless.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks pretty nice, and pretty borderlandsy too, but it could use a wee bit of improvement.

If you look atthis image you see that there's a lot more black lines in the texture. Things like abs, muscles, forehead wrinkles, random imperfections etc are all inked.

I feel the materials in your model are also a bit too photolike, maybe throw some filters over there to get it to look more painterly?

Lastly, this has nothing to do with the visual style really, but a gun like that wouldn't be in borderlands.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funkdelic: thanks mate!

Gav: I agree with you, I've left the face uniquely unwrapped for the most part aiming to do non-symetric details at the face as smile, but it looks like it still almost symetric...

Snader: I agree that this gun wouldn't fit at all in borderland!!! :poly124:
    I meant borderland due his post-apocaliptic style and colors palete. I've studied their style a lot, but at the end I decided to do something with his own style. No pen marks and something between realistic and cartoon. My main goal was to achieve a nice hand painted texture.

Also I pushed myself to a good use of poligons and textures, I hope everything is fine...:\
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That's just beautiful. I wish there were more colour in his torso, but it's very well done.
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude I like this alot.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    My only crit would be to paint more lighting into the texture.. lighter on top and darker on the bottom :) Other than that, this is awesome!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Nice, but i think (i may be wrong), that you left your uv wire On on the alpha bits in the presentation picture.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Nice, but i think (i may be wrong), that you left your uv wire On on the alpha bits in the presentation picture.
    Umm, that's the point? :p
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    thats's sick imo. is the rifle based on a martini henry?
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    hi... nice char but i think it needs a bit improvement... the face looks stretched. i did a quick paintover to show what i mean:

314e0qw.jpg

- put the glasses down
    - put the mouth up
    - highlites at mouth
    - darken area above the chin

i think you should 'dirten' up your textures a bit.. they look too clean.
    hope this helps! cheers!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    9skulls wrote: »
    Umm, that's the point? :p

Umm, thats what the wire pic is for ?
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Groovy!
    I'd kind of like to see some wrinkles/folds etc in some of the cloth, and maybe stronger spec hilights on some of the metal bits (boots etc).
    Fun stuff :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I like it, you really nailed style.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all, I gonna try to improve it.

Saiainoshi and Kevin Albers: I also think It needs more light, folds and wrinkles. I did some, but I think it wasn´t enough.

BeatKitano: No, I didn´t leave the wire on... :poly124: It was my mistake...I have fixed with some small changes on the UV mapping and also on the alpha.
    Fixed now:
    2akfkhj.jpg

drelectro: Now looks funnier! But actualy that is not his real mouth, it is his mask, thus I think it doesn´t need to be at the real position. About the glasses: I tried to move down, It looked more realistic, but I think his long face give him a bit of style...:\
    2hqxxs6.jpg

I gonnal try to find some time for the changes...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really nice, but those shoes and shinguards are very plain and boxy. It's almost like he's wearing hollowed out loafs of bread on his feet. Metallic bread, obviously.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ve done a dog for him...

vcqb7d.jpg

Now I want to give him some sort of environment. I ´ve played with some tileable texture and modeling some stuff.

ndwmsj.jpg

I am afraid about total polycount and texture size of this scene to fit with this char.

Char: 1138 tris 512²
    Dog: 666 tris 256²

Scene total: 10000 tris 1024² ???
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Thats one dog you won't find in nintendogs! Great stuff
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The textures could use some work on that, the grass looks weird, and the rock doesn't look like a solid mass, but more a pile of pebbles , photographed from the top. You're also going to have to layer over another map to add color variations and shading I think.

As for matching the characters and the environment, I think you could use some larger textures in the environment.

Assuming your character is about half as high as the point of the tent, you're using a 128² texture for something the size of your character.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the character and the dog !!!!