Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Hut
    Offline / Send Message
    Hut null
    Interested in two important points for me: 1. This is how i can save my own theme in xml format? each time i reinstall or reset the settings I had to change everything manually, which is not comme Il faut. Google did not give any fixed results, I have osx, I checked all the hidden folders(Show package), but never found my magic xml, there are only preset themes.
    2. The second is it is possible to save the configuration file and then it load and restore custom settings? I want to remind  that this is all on OSX.
    Cheers.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm having a crazy time figuring out how to install that linked code, @wazou
    Do you know where I can find some sort of guide? Pasting it into the console is deeeefinitely not going well.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    @Grimwolf
    Copy the whole thing to a text file and rename it to 3dview_edit_preselect.py then install it like you would any other addon.

Works for me, you have to enable "preselect faces" in the shading rollout on the right panel. And if you don't depth test it will highlight backfaces.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks to both of you. Does exactly what I wanted on a basic level. Now if only I could get it to display edge loops, falloff and such.
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    RMB on RAW and save as .py, install from preferences "instal from file".
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Crap, nevermind. There's reasons that plugin was never officially released. I'm getting crashes from it.
    I can easily recreate one by turning preselect on, beveling a face, then hitting Undo.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I can't reproduce that @Grimwolf

Edit: Nevermind, you're right :pensive:
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Indeed, I will tell matpi that.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Grimwolf : I hope I am not going to sound like one of these guys that one can run into on Apple forums, but ... are you sure you actually need pre-selection highlighting ?

Now don't get me wrong, I can totally see how such a feature can be useful in Maya for instance, since Maya is all kinds of awful when it comes to component selection. But Blender is actually really clever in that regard once one figures out the way selection priority works (there is basically a clever screen-space (and depth?) ray casting/distance check going on, making selection operations very predictable, even when clicking quite far from the component intended to be selected). Now of course you might need preselection for other reasons, in which case my remark would be irrelevant. But if you feel like you need it because of past frustration with other apps, then it might be worth exploring the very clever way Blender does things in that regard.

And of course : good luck with your experiments !
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't necessary, just convenient. Makes things go just a little bit faster when you don't have to make the wrong selection and hit undo then try again. Edge loops are particularly bad with that, since you need to have the camera at the right angle.
    They can add up over time.
    Other software doesn't give you preselection highlighting with edge loops either, but it gives you direct control over the direction of the loop in most cases, and Blender does not. The camera angle controls it, but that is obviously an inexact approach prone to a certain amount of user error.
    Also, even normal selections can become problematic when you have multiple components very close to each other.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    I totally see what you mean. As said I personally don't run into these issues, but I can totally understand that there might be situations when things are ambiguous. It's just like a bug in any program - the fact that a given user doesn't run into it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, so I am with you.

So from there I think one good way to look at it would be to precisely document the cases when the current selection system (raycast distance on click, depth fetching on double/triple click) doesn't work as intended, and file precise bug reports about it. I tend to believe that the strength of the program is the very strong personal vision behind it (as opposed to the way AutoDesk relies on design by committee/votes to drive feature implementation) ; so if Ton is not into pre-selection highlighting (which is something I personally happen to agree with, but again everyone is different) then the next best thing would be to leverage your experience to contribute to the current design philosophy and make it even better.

I hope this makes sense !
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
  • L0ckeness
    Offline / Send Message
    L0ckeness polycounter lvl 5
    This is incredible, thank you so much!
  • xalener
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    I guess I should ask, why

WHYYYYY

are you doing npr materials in cycles? Blender internal renderer is way more suited for tasks like that, and you can even render pretty much 1:1 results in openGL in real time. 
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    1- If you put a geometry modifier, it will update (you just have to find the one that doesn't deform the mesh such as a triangulate or decimate with factor 1) Probably a bug though.

2- BI does that quite well with its Light node, for cycles I don't know, last time I checked it wasn't possible :/

3- As for the hatch effect it will probably be more a mapping method rather than freestyle, I've tried some stuff for that, you can look here : http://yadoob.tumblr.com/post/149997297918/engraving-shader-in-blender-internal-and-insight

Thanks btw @MmAaXx looks great and the UVshape add-on seems interresting !
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7

Also a blender 2.79 is on the way with cool stuff such as PBVH based vertex and weight painting (more info here) (model by pachupp) and maybe more GSOC project like bezier curve.

• Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hey all,
    in order not to clutter this thread with random workflow questions (and get much aggro in the process!), I was wondering if you knew of threads, links, place, etc. focusing on switching to Blender for Max users. I'm not hoping to completely replicate my Max workflow in Blender and I'm aware of some of Blender's distinctive advantage such as instant type-in for translation/rotation/scaling, superior cut tool, etc.

However the inability to perform some basic, basic operation in an efficient way is really driving me nut, e.g setting pivot, welding verts, deleting without confirm, etc... and I'm looking for the appropriate spot to ask those questions.

I notice that many of the prominent artists posting on this thread that came from commercial packages as Max seem to be focusing on character art and may not be bothered by the same things as a more classic environment artist. Surely there must be enviro artists that are doing professional work with Blender, but they're hard to find...
  • Michael Knubben
    Mant1kore, I can't point you in the direction of any places specifically made for that, but you could always drop by the Polycount Slack and bother the resident Blenderheads. Quite a few of us actually come from Max, and we're certainly not all character artists.
    Either apply through the form, or pm me your email, and we'll get you set up.
    Additionally, I know @pior got some good results from posting on blenderartists.org with his questions, although depending on who replies, it can be a quite toxic community.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    @Mant1k0re
    May want to check this out: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?306867-BMax-Tools-or-how-I-left-3ds-Max-)

You'll need a BlenderArtists account to see the screenshots
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Woah @Yadoob, this looks great ! And especially that bit : 

The new vertex and weight brushes don't do this anymore.

• Now, we use the brush location in 3D space to paint vertices.

This doesn't sound like much, but that basically means that weight painting will now behave in a much more predictable manner. Good stuff !

@manticore : all these tools are there, or a small script away. As @MightyPea mentioned you can get all these answers on Blenderartists. You simply have to be prepared to ask your questions very precisely, because only a fraction of the community there will understand what you mean. People are very enthusiastic over there, but in a bit of a reddit kind of way (as in, replying just for the sake of it even if they don't have anything to add) so be prepared to have to filter this out.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the new vertex painting stuff looks great! i do hope however, there is an option to toggle a simple 'ignore backfaces' because for some applications you just want to paint through every overlapping element without fiddling. i had someone hack that into a custom build for my current version.

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Speaking of weight painting I wish they would properly document the weight mirroring operation ('Mirror Vertex Group'), found in the Specials pop-up menu of the Vertex Groups panel.
    The option names are confusing and the tooltips unhelpful. The tooltip for the 'Flip Group Names' option is "Flip vertex group names", which to me is unclear.

Then you understand what it does, which is more like "Mirror and copy weights into the vertex group named opposite to the active one", i.e. it mirrors and copies the weights from group 'shoulder.L' to group 'shoulder.R'.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior  @MightyPea  @AtticusMars

Thank you all :) Those are all good pointers to get me started.

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    BTW for those curious about Vertex Colors, this is the node setup needed to display them in the Cycles viewport (and this allows you to edit them directly in this viewport mode too) :

• limeforce
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    pior said:
    BTW for those curious about Vertex Colors, this is the node setup needed to display them in the Cycles viewport (and this allows you to work with them directly in this viewport mode too) :

Very handy for rendering polypainted stuff sent over from ZBrush with GoB :wink: And one can slap in color correction nodes and adjust roughness and so on if the paintjob isn't looking exactly as intended in the render.
  • thiagodesul
    Offline / Send Message
    thiagodesul polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, any of you know a similar tool to create LOD's in Blender (in the video it's the last tool around the 4 min mark)

https://vimeo.com/166291982
    Also, do you know a uv packer for blender that respect the uv alignment to be the same of the faces in the mesh?
  • jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Mant1k0re said:
    Hey all,
    in order not to clutter this thread with random workflow questions (and get much aggro in the process!), I was wondering if you knew of threads, links, place, etc. focusing on switching to Blender for Max users. I'm not hoping to completely replicate my Max workflow in Blender and I'm aware of some of Blender's distinctive advantage such as instant type-in for translation/rotation/scaling, superior cut tool, etc.

However the inability to perform some basic, basic operation in an efficient way is really driving me nut, e.g setting pivot, welding verts, deleting without confirm, etc... and I'm looking for the appropriate spot to ask those questions.

I notice that many of the prominent artists posting on this thread that came from commercial packages as Max seem to be focusing on character art and may not be bothered by the same things as a more classic environment artist. Surely there must be enviro artists that are doing professional work with Blender, but they're hard to find...
    Mant1k0re said:
    Hey all,

Hit my up on Skype and i can help you with some basics! 

• jimpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9

Smart UV 1.4.0 is here!

https://vimeo.com/200336671

FEATURES
    ---------------
    * Shortest select path tool now work in all modes. 
    * Select face loop for the uv editor. 
    * A new re-unwrap tool that does not rip apart the selected faces but simply remove distortion. 
    * Tooltips for all the tools inside the preferences.
    * More options inside the preferences.
    * Users can now press F6 and choose between angle base or conformal, etc.

What feature will be implemented in the next versions? 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Interactive cut tool. makes it possible to cut the mesh and have it be updated live without having to mark seams. 
    * selecting edges and pressing re-unwrap will cut the selected edges - in other words no need to mark seams. 
    * selecting edges and using the move islands tool will align the edges after the highest point instead of moving the entire island (context sensetive)

• wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe I can add a button "Exit retopo" to unable those options or add add a button to hidde them.
  • flat-D
    Offline / Send Message
    flat-D polycounter lvl 6
    stickadtroja, Mant1k0re and anyone not being able to digest Blender default interaction.
    These are a few alternate configs to look into. They all work with any version of blender including buildbots (https://builder.blender.org/download/).

rSelection Addon
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?355841-Add-on-rSelection

Custom Blender Setup
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?352666-Input-Custom-Blender-Setup-Silo-Maya-esque

BMax Tools
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?306867-BMax-Tools-or-how-I-left-3ds-Max-)

And a very young addition to the list, Blender LW Modo Setup
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152579-Brent-s-Blender-LW-Modo-Setup
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you FlatD :) Jimpaw was kind enough to show me around a bit and introduce me to some useful scripts already.

I'm back here because I think extrude/scale along normal is broken in the latest Blender version. I've looked it up online and followed all tips and tricks I have found to no avail, I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue?

Below is my test mesh, I'm trying to extrude the roof border along face normals, I've tried both via Alt+E > Vertex Normal and Extrude > Alt+S, both give me this ugly, ugly result.

In Max I wouldn't get a perfect result without using a script like Extend Border but it wouldn't look nearly as bad out of the box. What am I doing wrong here?

• Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    3dsMax will give you the exact same result, it's due to the geometry you trying to extrude. Here what I would do (probably someone have a better solution thoug) :

The fact that you can't access the custom orientation inside the extrude tool is quite annoying :/
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Yadoob,

that might be the case with Max too, honestly I've been using Extend Border for so long for this kind of operation that I forgot what the default behavior was like, I will give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the solution but damn, that's really cumbersome. I do this kind of operation all the time when I model, there's got to be a faster way to do it :pensive:
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    As I said, it's mainly due to what you want to extrude. Most of the case are fine with extrude region. For exemple that one would give good result (G+G+alt to extend an edge):

As far as I can see, Extend Border in Blender would be "Ctrl+E/Offset Edges/Extrude" but could you show how you resolve that situation in 3dsMax ? It could help us understand what tool do you need and maybe give ideas to dev to improve blender's toolset :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I will give it a shot tonight a post my findings here. Noob question but how do you create a animated  gif like the one you posted above? Ideally I should be posting the same thing :)
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    I use ShareX
    Also here's the improvment made by Luca Rood, the new dev of cloth :

• Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob said:
    I use ShareX
    Thanks.

You are right, same behavior by default in Max, and actually the solution was thinking backward.

You can see here how the Extend Border script works in Max, it's pretty convenient because it extrudes equally on all sides with precise type-ins for distance and angles. I think you gave me a couple pointers to replicate the same behavior manually in Blender though...
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Yes it looks like a good and efficient workflow. The offset edge tool should give you a solid alternative (be sure to check "Follow Face"  in F6 menu), the only odd thing is that it's not a modal which is not very coherent to Blender's tools behavior.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Mant1k0re said:
    Noob question but how do you create a animated  gif like the one you posted above? Ideally I should be posting the same thing :)
    http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

GifCam is my favorite. Dead simple no extra features. Screen2Gif is more full featured. You can google that one.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    If you want to do that, just use solidify.  Not the modifier, just search solidify when you are in edit mode.  Then clean up afterwards (it preserves solidified faces)

• Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to do that, just use solidify.  Not the modifier, just search solidify when you are in edit mode.  Then clean up afterwards (it preserves solidified faces)

Thanks for the tip, yes it works too, I gave it a shot :)
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    as a big fan of OSX i don't think the new macbook pro is a particularly good choice for anyone really. price and performance do not seem to correlate at all. i also have my opinions on the new even flatter keyboards.

for rendering you generally want to avoid laptops as they can run really hot (and in the medium term cook themselves) or they start to throttle like mad. they also sound like jet engines while doing so. ;)

i'm using blender on OSX and am not sure what the problem might be? certainly not run into anything that differs from the windows build over here.

• xangroba
    Offline / Send Message
    xangroba null
    Hello Mant1k0re
    have you tried applying rotation & scale (ctrl + A) before extruding?
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that wasn't the issue :) As pointed out by Yadoob this is completely normal and it's due to the topology. I get the same default behavior in Max.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone know why when you merge various objects together, some of them are prone to having their normals flipped? I've been trying to figure out why when I import my high poly into Substance Painter for baking, various parts of the mesh will have inverted normals, and I think this is why?
  • Michael Knubben
    It's likely just that those normals are already flipped, but the object you merged didn't have backface culling on so you couldn't see.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I always have backface culling on. I've noticed it doesn't really happen when I merge my low poly meshes, just the hi poly. Headscratcher

edit: nevermind I found the answer. It's because of unapplied scale, it can't be negative on any axis. 
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    always apply scale & rotation
    this fucks up a lot of things when working with modifiers
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    thomasp said:
    for rendering you generally want to avoid laptops as they can run really hot (and in the medium term cook themselves) or they start to throttle like mad. they also sound like jet engines while doing so. ;)
    I want to second this because I have a reasonably decent notebook and literally the only reason why I avoid Cycles is because when the GPU goes at 100% the fans work at maximum and it sounds horrible, like it's taking flight. I hope it doesn't cause damage like you said, the manufacturers probably stress tested these things.

If you really have to use Cycles, in the render tab you can put it on CPU mode and limit threads to 1 (so a quad core CPU will operate at 25% usage), which makes the heat more manageable but takes way longer to render than using the GPU, unfortunately. Or use any of the online render farm services.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yamanote said:What setup do you have? I can't afford a Mac Pro. Would an 5K iMac work?

Perhaps I should just try the online render farm service solution as RN suggested...

Also, this is the fault I encounter on reboot: https://developer.blender.org/T49473
    i have an older generation macbook pro and a mini here. i'm also not running sierra yet and generally shut down stuff like gatekeeper if i can (which seems to be the culprit in the issue you linked to).

personally i am contemplating to upgrade my MBP this year to the 2015 model they are still selling: http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLQ2LL/A&step=config - but that's just me and my main motivation is to be able to keep using the platform for a few more years this way, SD card slot and magsafe included ;) . i think apple's current hardware is pretty hopeless otherwise, not sure how the imac compares either. with any new machine i think connectivity will be a major headache, too with their radical moves in terms of USB ports. i'd be looking elsewhere if OSX is not the priority.

at any rate if you go with the macbook pro be aware that it gets noisy really fast if you use the dedicated GPU. i have restricted mine to intel only and it's pleasantly silent and cool to the touch this way. else, even for rather simple jobs like playing back a video it will rev up the fans rather quickly.

@RN laptops cooking themselves is not such a rare phenomenon, i'd be careful with running it hot for longer periods. i don't think manufacturers consider long term effects on the hardware that much tbh.